Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Beginner v551 and email ?s

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 21, 2005 6:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

These are basic...sorry...but could use the help. Just switching from
ATTWS TDMA to Gingular.

On the Motorola v551, if I receive a call while phone is closed, can I
use one of the keys to send the call to voicemail? I thought I read it
but I've read too much I guess and can't find it. And if the phone is
open, is there a way to cancel ringing and send to voicemail?

Also, what is the "correct" email/text messaging address for one's
cingular phone? I've gotten three answers:

10 digit number plus @cingularME.com (from Cingular web site)

10 digit number plus @mobile.mycingular.com (from customer support)

10 digit number plus @cingular.com (from customer support)


Also, do any ATTWS migrating customers know if email/text messages sent
to their phone (using the ATTWS address of their phone, the @mmode.com
address) will be forwarded to their cingular phone with the same phone
number?

Thanks for any feedback. Appreciate.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com

More about : beginner v551 email

June 21, 2005 10:59:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:09:01 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>These are basic...sorry...but could use the help. Just switching from
>ATTWS TDMA to Gingular.
>
>On the Motorola v551, if I receive a call while phone is closed, can I
>use one of the keys to send the call to voicemail? I thought I read it
>but I've read too much I guess and can't find it. And if the phone is
>open, is there a way to cancel ringing and send to voicemail?

If closed, hitting the up or down rocker switch on the left side will
silence the ring. After the 20 second or so timeout the call will go
to voicemail. If the phone is open, the right soft button (top right)
will show as Ignore.

>Also, what is the "correct" email/text messaging address for one's
>cingular phone? I've gotten three answers:
>
>10 digit number plus @cingularME.com (from Cingular web site)

@cingularME.com works

>10 digit number plus @mobile.mycingular.com (from customer support)

@mobile.mycingular.com works


>10 digit number plus @cingular.com (from customer support)

@cingular.com does not work.

also 10 digit number plus @teleflip.com works. That one is supposed
to work no matter who your carrier is. The downside is it adds
www.teleflip.com to the bottom of every email.

H
June 21, 2005 10:59:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <6cogb1p4g3f8lu6en89lgi0jqut475obpd@4ax.com>,
Harry <harry@the.end> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:09:01 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >These are basic...sorry...but could use the help. Just switching from
> >ATTWS TDMA to Gingular.
> >
> >On the Motorola v551, if I receive a call while phone is closed, can I
> >use one of the keys to send the call to voicemail? I thought I read it
> >but I've read too much I guess and can't find it. And if the phone is
> >open, is there a way to cancel ringing and send to voicemail?
>
> If closed, hitting the up or down rocker switch on the left side will
> silence the ring. After the 20 second or so timeout the call will go
> to voicemail. If the phone is open, the right soft button (top right)
> will show as Ignore.
>
> >Also, what is the "correct" email/text messaging address for one's
> >cingular phone? I've gotten three answers:
> >
> >10 digit number plus @cingularME.com (from Cingular web site)
>
> @cingularME.com works
>
> >10 digit number plus @mobile.mycingular.com (from customer support)
>
> @mobile.mycingular.com works
>
>
> >10 digit number plus @cingular.com (from customer support)
>
> @cingular.com does not work.
>
> also 10 digit number plus @teleflip.com works. That one is supposed
> to work no matter who your carrier is. The downside is it adds
> www.teleflip.com to the bottom of every email.
>
> H

Thank you very much. Very helpful.

So helpful if you, or someone else has the time, I have a question (make
that questions) with entering into the phonebook.

1. I was told to enter all into the phone and then later save to SIM. Is
that correct?

2. Is there a way to set it so it defaults to SIM or Phone during data
entry?

3. I've been entering into Phone and I've entered numbers in 2 through 8
speed dial. Now when I enter another address/number it keeps showing "#1
(P)". I didn't think I could enter a number in the 1 speed dial position
and since I've entered the only speed dials that work (2 thru 8) I don't
want to enter any speed dial number. But if I try to enter it as blank
it keeps asking for a number.

Thanks for any help on these 551 beginner questions. I appreciate.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
Related resources
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 11:58:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <A7ydndm4Hua7CyXfRVn-3g@speakeasy.net>,
Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> 1. I was told to enter all into the phone and then later save to SIM. Is
> that correct?

Hmmmmm. I don't know that there's a "correct" and "incorrect" way to do
things.

I always enter into SIM, and then--one at a time--copy to phone,
strictly for the purposes of making one-button speed dials.
June 22, 2005 3:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

And I always enter to the phone so I can list two or three numbers under one
name rather than separately. I also have an inactive SIM that I save the
numbers to "just in case". One of the great drawbacks to Motorola is that
you can't save to both but tell it to display only the phone memory.

Fred

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-84F585.19583521062005@nntp2.usenetserver.com...
> In article <A7ydndm4Hua7CyXfRVn-3g@speakeasy.net>,
> Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
> > 1. I was told to enter all into the phone and then later save to SIM. Is
> > that correct?
>
> Hmmmmm. I don't know that there's a "correct" and "incorrect" way to do
> things.
>
> I always enter into SIM, and then--one at a time--copy to phone,
> strictly for the purposes of making one-button speed dials.
>
June 25, 2005 10:46:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:35:18 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>So helpful if you, or someone else has the time, I have a question (make
>that questions) with entering into the phonebook.
>
>1. I was told to enter all into the phone and then later save to SIM. Is
>that correct?

I'm a bit confused by this. It sounds as if whoever told you to do
this wasn't familiar with the 551. You can either save phonebook
entries to the phone's internal memory or to the sim's memory. The
sim will only keep track of name and number. The phone's will record
"Category" vip's, personal, business; "Type" main, mobile, fax pager,
work, home; Voice Name and Ringer ID.

I don't know of a way to transfer from the phone to the sim without
reentering them. Then you will end up with double entries when you
look at the phonebook. Simply changing the "Store To" flag from phone
to sim will wipe out the phone's category, type and ringer ID data for
that entry. I suppose what they were suggesting was that as a
backup, you can save the entries to both the phone and the sim. If
you have more than one phone and you move the sim from phone to phone
it would make sense to program the sim.

>2. Is there a way to set it so it defaults to SIM or Phone during data
>entry?

Mine defaults to phone. I looked around and I don't see a menu option
that will change that. I would imagine there is a "seem" edit that
could be done but would you really want to do that?

>3. I've been entering into Phone and I've entered numbers in 2 through 8
>speed dial. Now when I enter another address/number it keeps showing "#1
>(P)". I didn't think I could enter a number in the 1 speed dial position
>and since I've entered the only speed dials that work (2 thru 8) I don't
>want to enter any speed dial number. But if I try to enter it as blank
>it keeps asking for a number.

The default speed dial memory location is the lowest one still
available. Since you haven't programmed one into position "1" it
defaults to that. Go ahead and program something into it... anything.
Speed dial will still call you voice mail. I read somewhere Voicemail
and Speed dial 1 is programmed into the phone by request of Cingular.
Again, there is probably a seem edit that will change that but I kinda
like it the way it is.

H
July 4, 2005 3:07:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks for all the tips. Appreciate.

For those that use the SIM for saving their phonebook info, am I correct
in understanding that you cannot entering multiple numbers for a contact
and have them differentiated with an icon if you use the SIM? That is
only possible if one uses the phone's memory?

So for those who use the SIM as their memory, I gather one would use a
descpriter in the contact's name (Joe at Work, Joe's Cell: for example)
since you can't differentiate multiple numbers with an icon.

Thanks for the help before I enter all my phonebook.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:27:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <lPqdnSTqtYXIOlXfRVn-ig@speakeasy.net>,
Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> For those that use the SIM for saving their phonebook info, am I correct
> in understanding that you cannot entering multiple numbers for a contact
> and have them differentiated with an icon if you use the SIM? That is
> only possible if one uses the phone's memory?

Correct. That's a Motorola thing, at least.


> So for those who use the SIM as their memory, I gather one would use a
> descpriter in the contact's name (Joe at Work, Joe's Cell: for example)
> since you can't differentiate multiple numbers with an icon.

That's what I do.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:18:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

For SIM storage pick a name like Bill's Cell because it only holds a
name and number. The phone is capable of many more options like
multiple numbers, icon for mobile or business etc. Also depends on
model of phone but SIM has BASIC rolodex numbers.



On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:07:28 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

>Thanks for all the tips. Appreciate.
>
>For those that use the SIM for saving their phonebook info, am I correct
>in understanding that you cannot entering multiple numbers for a contact
>and have them differentiated with an icon if you use the SIM? That is
>only possible if one uses the phone's memory?
>
>So for those who use the SIM as their memory, I gather one would use a
>descpriter in the contact's name (Joe at Work, Joe's Cell: for example)
>since you can't differentiate multiple numbers with an icon.
>
>Thanks for the help before I enter all my phonebook.
!