Setting up a VPN

matrix20109

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2002
I am looking to setup a secure connection between a network at work and my network at home. All computers are running Windows XP Professional. I would like to run programs on the work computer from my home PC since I only have a single software license. These networks consist of a few computers hooked into off-the-shelf Netgear Firewall routers. I am looking to do this inexpensively, but be secure at the same time.

I know I can use a VNC type program to connect between the two computers, but it is not very secure.

I could use a VPN, but do not know if I need a VPN router on both ends, or just one end.

If someone could help me out with ideas for how to accomplish this! Also, could you detail the hardware/software that would be needed. Thanks!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You need two VPN routers, as far as I know.

VNC or whatever would be <i>reasonably</i> secure if you set up the work firewall to direct access on the VNC ports to your Work PC, but <i>only</i> if it comes from your Home IP Address.

I'm definitely not the world's #1 expert on this stuff though, but I've been doing a fair bit of router/firewall type junk lately.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

riser

Illustrious
Linksys sells a product that does this.. Buy 1 VPN router, 1 VPN concentrator (different name from Linksys for this).

The VPN Router will all incoming connections to be established. THe VPN Concentrator I think is an add on or USB type thing. It will establish a connection with the VPN router.

This will create a 2 way VPN.. I think the adpater was running 40-50 dollars when I was looking into it.

If you search their products, you'll see the adapter and the router you need. All in all it should be around 80-150 for both pieces of hardware.