Sign in with
Your question

One Connection, Two Internal Networks

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 27, 2010 10:47:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the correct location or not. I apologize for the length of this post as well.

I currently support a public library with around 45 computers.

We currently have 2 DSL modems/routers because of the slowness of the speed (1.5Mbps each modem), 1 modem currently supports the staff's internal network (192.168.1.1, etc IPs). The second modem supports public internet access (192.168.0.1). Both modems currently run into a managed switch and then has a patch cabling running into the server (dual NIC). There is also a filtration system that is ran into the managed switch. This allows the staff and the public to be able to access the server but not see each other.

I know this is any extremely weird way to set this network up but due to the software that is used for the public side with reservations, it was the only way at the time because of the 2 modems and filtration.

We are in the middle of getting bids to change internet providers to one that can provide 15Mbps.

I'm trying to get your suggestions on how I can accomplish using one incoming connection and turning it into two different internal networks. So that both the Staff and Public have internet access and can access the server but are unable to see each other. Or maybe even creating a Vlan for the Public computers? The only thing that has to happen is that the Public Computers need to have see and communicate with the server to get reservation information.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on if there is a better way to setup/manage this network and also options for content filtering as our current filtration is dying.

Thank You.

More about : connection internal networks

December 28, 2010 12:09:41 AM

I have an old Pentium3 with 1GB memory, 20GB HDD and 3 NICs running OpenBSD with a pfFirewall.

NIC1 connects to the Modem
NIC2 192.168.0.1
NIC3 192.168.1.1

NIC2 and NIC3 provide DHCP

NIC2 and NIC3 by default do not see each other.
m
l
December 30, 2010 7:14:37 AM

Hi Veteran, I think you have not to do a lot, as your NIC1 is connected with two modems this time, after you buy one modem then connect NIC1 only with that, and give setting to NIC1 according to new connection , as this network card already connected on the same computer , so it will provide internet connection to NIC2 and NIC3 connected network, One thing I want to know ,its true that NIC2 and NIC3 not see each other because they are differet subnet, but can you ping from network 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 network or not?
m
l
!