Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trouble deciding on CPU? I Need Help now !

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 1, 2012 11:48:55 AM

AT The Moment i Am still using the same cpu from the computer i bought a few years ago.
its a AMD Phenom x4 9150e 1.8GHz.
i'm looking to upgrade but i don't know what to get.
my friend said to get a AMD Athlon II X2 270 which is the one he has.
its faster tham mine, it does better on games but my phenom has better mutitasking than his.
i also was thinking of getting a fx-4100 but i also think i might have the same multitasking problem.
i can chip in a few more dollars for a Phenom II 960 which will give me the speed i need and i think i'll retain the same multitasking management i like.
but i'm a horrible judge and need help deciding.
AMD Athlon II X2 270 - AMD FX-4100 - AMD Phenom II 960

More about : trouble deciding cpu

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 1, 2012 11:59:09 AM

AMD Phenom II 960 is much better in gaming and multitasking than AMD Athlon II X2 270 - AMD FX-4100.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2012 12:09:52 PM

burstfyre20 said:
AT The Moment i Am still using the same cpu from the computer i bought a few years ago.
its a AMD Phenom x4 9150e 1.8GHz.
i'm looking to upgrade but i don't know what to get.
my friend said to get a AMD Athlon II X2 270 which is the one he has.
its faster tham mine, it does better on games but my phenom has better mutitasking than his.
i also was thinking of getting a fx-4100 but i also think i might have the same multitasking problem.
i can chip in a few more dollars for a Phenom II 960 which will give me the speed i need and i think i'll retain the same multitasking management i like.
but i'm a horrible judge and need help deciding.
AMD Athlon II X2 270 - AMD FX-4100 - AMD Phenom II 960


what motherboard do you have? your first phenom chip is an AM2+, the athlon II/phenom II are AM3 and the FX-4100 is an AM3+

while the athlon II and phenom II should work on your current mobo, you may not be able to run the FX chip without a mobo upgrade.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 1, 2012 2:22:22 PM

Yes what mobo?
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 7:28:31 PM

i can buy a new one.
if fx processor: ASUS M5A97
if AM3 Processor: Either MSI 760GM-E51 or MSI 880GM-E35
or if any of the Ax FM processors are worth getting: ASUS F1A75-M
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 11:37:38 PM

Get fx 4100, its cheaper and lower TDP (95W vs 125W) than the phenom. Although ppl say phenom beat fx in benchmark, I don't see in real life usage it suffers...

Sometimes the phenom can unlock to 6 cores but not all do, and it does add a ton of TDP to it if you unlock the 960t to 1605t.

Plus with AM3+ socket you can upgrade to piledriver later on. If you live near microcenter they have combo deal for both fx4100+ mobo for $100.
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 11:58:12 PM

If you're building it for gaming purposes, buy the Intel i3 2120 and a supported motherboard. For real. The i3 2120 beats the AMD FX CPUs hands down, and if you buy a good motherboard you'll be able to upgrade to ivy bridge eventually. Read this review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...

Alternatively, you could splurge and pick up an i5. Just about any i5 will pretty much blow the FX series out of the water.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 1:59:08 PM

claec said:
If you're building it for gaming purposes, buy the Intel i3 2120 and a supported motherboard. For real. The i3 2120 beats the AMD FX CPUs hands down, and if you buy a good motherboard you'll be able to upgrade to ivy bridge eventually. Read this review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...

Alternatively, you could splurge and pick up an i5. Just about any i5 will pretty much blow the FX series out of the water.

I rather not spend more than $300 and I have the most experience with amd CPUs and I like them better that the Intel ones.
Since my friend works at frys he can use his discount to get the parts I've chosen.
I guess I'll get the phenom II 4x like that I can know my computers preformace won't degrade at all
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 2:25:24 PM

burstfyre20 said:
I rather not spend more than $300 and I have the most experience with amd CPUs and I like them better that the Intel ones.
Since my friend works at frys he can use his discount to get the parts I've chosen.
I guess I'll get the phenom II 4x like that I can know my computers preformace won't degrade at all


You said on your OP you were a terrible judge, I'd say you are wise to choose the Phenom II. You won't have to buy a new motherboard. Not that I undermine what the latest i3 are capable of, but with only CPU to buy for, the rest of your money can go somewhere else to get more significant performance boost, say a better GPU perhaps.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 3:13:01 PM

of those 960t (95w tdp) is good as it may have good unlockable cores.

MSI 880GM-E35 is a very bad board for black edition cpu due to its poor vrm.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 3:57:05 PM

rush21hit said:
You said on your OP you were a terrible judge, I'd say you are wise to choose the Phenom II. You won't have to buy a new motherboard. Not that I undermine what the latest i3 are capable of, but with only CPU to buy for, the rest of your money can go somewhere else to get more significant performance boost, say a better GPU perhaps.

I've already got a gpu its a 5770 1gb. All I need is the ram for the new board and CPU which will be either 4 or 8 gb
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 4:14:06 PM

get p2 x4 980 (150) + cheap gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P rev3.1 (50) + good air cooler for cpu (50) + 2x4gb ddr3 1333/1600 at cl7/cl9 (under 50)
m
0
l
!