Asus P8Z77-V not working with LP Ram

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
So last night as I finished my build and started it up everything turned on but I noticed the DRAM led light is on so no post. So I took each stick which are 2x4gb sticks and put them in each slot running the memtest ok button next to the light. Nothing worked. This morning I called ASUS tech and asked what I should do. He said the low profile memory could be affecting it since it is no supported on the list, so I just got done buying the same exact model number of the supported ram which is the same ram just not low profile so changing the model number CML instead of CMZ the CMZ being supported. So do you guys think that it could be the low profile ram affecting it?

New RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Old RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CML8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B00569K7LM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357433818&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+vengeance+lp

Mobo:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-V-1155-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B007G51UWY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357433848&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+p8z77

Picture of build:
http://imgur.com/9RRJX,BdTrb,maF2U#0

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
The new RAMs will be here on monday I will post then. The CPU is an i7 3770k PSU corsair ax750 and samsung 840 ssd 1tb black caviar and corsair h100 and a 670.

The old ones are listed as compatible by Corsair http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?sc=us&id=4577214
page 4
The CPU is supported without a BIOS update.
I think that the issue is somewhere else. Try taking the board outside the case (ruling out a shorting issue).
Make sure that the RAM stick is properly inserted. Check each slot (if you haven't already).
If still the same, try reinstalling the CPU and check the socket for bent pins.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
The mother board in that picture is not the same as the motherboard I have. Also the DRAM Led is on signaling that something is wrong with the ram. Or am I missing something oh and btw all the pictures are the same the picture thing I lied about . But what about the DRAM Led?

The picture is for design only. The memory controller is integrated in the CPU.
If you've tested each slot and each RAM module, then the issue might be with the CPU (bent pins for example) or the board - interrupted circuits RAM slots - CPU.
Try also clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes).
Or you can wait for the new RAMs and see if still the same.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Would you recommend taking the mother board out and just doing an outside build? Would the screws and the stand offs have something to do with it or no?

can you do these two things...one check that the 4/8 pin atx power plug is connected. 2. look at the mb ser# the last 3/4 digits of the label is the bios rev of the mb. if it 0802 or around that then your mb may not have the newest cpu and ram code. the newest bios is 1708 from asus.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/#download
your mb like my sabertooth has what called a usb flashback port. you can flash the bios without ram or cpu in it. just need a usb stick and the renamed bios file on the usb stick and place it in the usb flashback port and press the flashback button. two min latter your mb has the newest bios. after you flash the bios if the same error is going on then there a dead short. could be missing standoffs or the i\o shield shorting the mb out or the aftermarket heat sink is pressing down to hard.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
The 0802 was nothing close to mine, my last were 183229. Ok I am pretty sure that there is a short some where. I will take it out of the case and set the motherboard on the box with just the cpu ram and gpu in I will see if the DRAM still lights up. If it does I will loosen up the heatsink which is a h100.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I didn't find it. Hmm anyways I would also like to add that the CPU led ligh flashes when i turn it on then the DRAM led comes on but the cpu just flashes on then off.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Did you have the original RAM inserted properly in the blue slots when the DRAM LED came on? How about having only one stick loaded at a time in the blue slot?

Did you try to POST with just core components on top of the mobo box before building in system? That helps a lot in solving these kinds of issues right away.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I can't find my stick atm, I will wait for the ram to get here then it should work with any BIOS version because it is on the recommend list and maybe only LP is supported in the newer verison of the the BIOS. If that does not work I will do an outside build to rule out any shorting.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
No I did not, I had the ram in the black slots. I have tried each stick in each slot. I will do an outside build if the new memory does not work when it gets here.

shark i think he has a mb with old bios. most vendors and tech will flash there mb bios to the newest rev when they do a build.
as this mb has usb flashback it can be flashed with no cpu or ram installed. so a lot of the cpu code and ram code can be updated before the cpu and ram is installed.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Why don't you try the original RAM in the blue slots?

Smorizio, I understand the BIOS could be old, but I've seen reviews of that RAM on the same motherboard from 6 months ago and it worked fine. The manual says to install in pairs in the blue slots first.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Yes I have tryed both of the ram sticks in the blue slot. I am pretty sure its a shorting problem or RAM problem. I will do an outside build tommrow and see if that works then if it does not I will wait until monday for the new ram. If the new RAM in and the build outside of the box and it does not work. I will be lost lol.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Did an outside build just a minute ago and no success the DRAM Led still lights up and not post. I will wait for the new RAM tomorrow and I checked for CPU bent pins and did not find any. Hmmmm I think I will haft to take it to someone.

Thoth_45

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
By removing the battery on the board clears the CMOS right?