Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z77-V not working with LP Ram

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2013 11:00:38 PM

So last night as I finished my build and started it up everything turned on but I noticed the DRAM led light is on so no post. So I took each stick which are 2x4gb sticks and put them in each slot running the memtest ok button next to the light. Nothing worked. This morning I called ASUS tech and asked what I should do. He said the low profile memory could be affecting it since it is no supported on the list, so I just got done buying the same exact model number of the supported ram which is the same ram just not low profile so changing the model number CML instead of CMZ the CMZ being supported. So do you guys think that it could be the low profile ram affecting it?

New RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=oh_deta...

Old RAM:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-...

Mobo:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-V-1155-Intel-Motherboa...

Picture of build:
http://imgur.com/9RRJX,BdTrb,maF2U#0

More about : asus p8z77 working ram

a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
January 5, 2013 11:20:43 PM

Are the new RAMs working or they haven't arrived yet? What CPU?
m
l
January 5, 2013 11:41:01 PM

alexoiu said:
Are the new RAMs working or they haven't arrived yet? What CPU?
The new RAMs will be here on monday I will post then. The CPU is an i7 3770k PSU corsair ax750 and samsung 840 ssd 1tb black caviar and corsair h100 and a 670.
m
l
Related resources
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
January 5, 2013 11:48:04 PM

The old ones are listed as compatible by Corsair http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.as...
page 4
The CPU is supported without a BIOS update.
I think that the issue is somewhere else. Try taking the board outside the case (ruling out a shorting issue).
Make sure that the RAM stick is properly inserted. Check each slot (if you haven't already).
If still the same, try reinstalling the CPU and check the socket for bent pins.
m
l
January 5, 2013 11:52:59 PM

alexoiu said:
The old ones are listed as compatible by Corsair http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.as...
page 4
The CPU is supported without a BIOS update.
I think that the issue is somewhere else. Try taking the board outside the case (ruling out a shorting issue).
Make sure that the RAM stick is properly inserted. Check each slot (if you haven't already).
If still the same, try reinstalling the CPU and check the socket for bent pins.
The mother board in that picture is not the same as the motherboard I have. Also the DRAM Led is on signaling that something is wrong with the ram. Or am I missing something oh and btw all the pictures are the same the picture thing I lied about . But what about the DRAM Led?
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
January 5, 2013 11:57:36 PM

The picture is for design only. The memory controller is integrated in the CPU.
If you've tested each slot and each RAM module, then the issue might be with the CPU (bent pins for example) or the board - interrupted circuits RAM slots - CPU.
Try also clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes).
Or you can wait for the new RAMs and see if still the same.
m
l
January 6, 2013 12:08:57 AM

alexoiu said:
The picture is for design only. The memory controller is integrated in the CPU.
If you've tested each slot and each RAM module, then the issue might be with the CPU (bent pins for example) or the board - interrupted circuits RAM slots - CPU.
Try also clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes).
Or you can wait for the new RAMs and see if still the same.
Would you recommend taking the mother board out and just doing an outside build? Would the screws and the stand offs have something to do with it or no?
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 12:11:56 AM

An extra standoff could short the board. You can use the board's box as support. For troubleshooting it's better with the board outside. You have a better control when installing the components
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 12:14:17 AM

can you do these two things...one check that the 4/8 pin atx power plug is connected. 2. look at the mb ser# the last 3/4 digits of the label is the bios rev of the mb. if it 0802 or around that then your mb may not have the newest cpu and ram code. the newest bios is 1708 from asus.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...
your mb like my sabertooth has what called a usb flashback port. you can flash the bios without ram or cpu in it. just need a usb stick and the renamed bios file on the usb stick and place it in the usb flashback port and press the flashback button. two min latter your mb has the newest bios. after you flash the bios if the same error is going on then there a dead short. could be missing standoffs or the i\o shield shorting the mb out or the aftermarket heat sink is pressing down to hard.
m
l
January 6, 2013 12:29:17 AM

smorizio said:
can you do these two things...one check that the 4/8 pin atx power plug is connected. 2. look at the mb ser# the last 3/4 digits of the label is the bios rev of the mb. if it 0802 or around that then your mb may not have the newest cpu and ram code. the newest bios is 1708 from asus.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...
your mb like my sabertooth has what called a usb flashback port. you can flash the bios without ram or cpu in it. just need a usb stick and the renamed bios file on the usb stick and place it in the usb flashback port and press the flashback button. two min latter your mb has the newest bios. after you flash the bios if the same error is going on then there a dead short. could be missing standoffs or the i\o shield shorting the mb out or the aftermarket heat sink is pressing down to hard.
The 0802 was nothing close to mine, my last were 183229. Ok I am pretty sure that there is a short some where. I will take it out of the case and set the motherboard on the box with just the cpu ram and gpu in I will see if the DRAM still lights up. If it does I will loosen up the heatsink which is a h100.
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 12:36:31 AM

ght at the end of that should say rev xxxx on the end of the ser##.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:02:17 AM

smorizio said:
ght at the end of that should say rev xxxx on the end of the ser##.
I didn't find it. Hmm anyways I would also like to add that the CPU led ligh flashes when i turn it on then the DRAM led comes on but the cpu just flashes on then off.
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 1:05:11 AM

did the same when my cpu and ram code was to low on my sabertooth mb. i would use the usb flashback and put the last bios 1708 on a stick and do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 1:47:34 AM

Did you have the original RAM inserted properly in the blue slots when the DRAM LED came on? How about having only one stick loaded at a time in the blue slot?

Did you try to POST with just core components on top of the mobo box before building in system? That helps a lot in solving these kinds of issues right away.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:52:46 AM

smorizio said:
did the same when my cpu and ram code was to low on my sabertooth mb. i would use the usb flashback and put the last bios 1708 on a stick and do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho
I can't find my stick atm, I will wait for the ram to get here then it should work with any BIOS version because it is on the recommend list and maybe only LP is supported in the newer verison of the the BIOS. If that does not work I will do an outside build to rule out any shorting.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:55:56 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Did you have the original RAM inserted properly in the blue slots when the DRAM LED came on? How about having only one stick loaded at a time in the blue slot?

Did you try to POST with just core components on top of the mobo box before building in system? That helps a lot in solving these kinds of issues right away.
No I did not, I had the ram in the black slots. I have tried each stick in each slot. I will do an outside build if the new memory does not work when it gets here.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 1:57:43 AM

The original RAM should work without issue if you select XMP profile in the BIOS. People on Newegg use that same RAM with the same motherboard without issue.
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 2:08:27 AM

shark i think he has a mb with old bios. most vendors and tech will flash there mb bios to the newest rev when they do a build.
as this mb has usb flashback it can be flashed with no cpu or ram installed. so a lot of the cpu code and ram code can be updated before the cpu and ram is installed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 2:13:11 AM

Why don't you try the original RAM in the blue slots?

Smorizio, I understand the BIOS could be old, but I've seen reviews of that RAM on the same motherboard from 6 months ago and it worked fine. The manual says to install in pairs in the blue slots first.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:14:53 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Why don't you try the original RAM in the blue slots?

Smorizio, I understand the BIOS could be old, but I've seen reviews of that RAM on the same motherboard from 6 months ago and it worked fine. The manual says to install in pairs in the blue slots first.
Yes I have tryed both of the ram sticks in the blue slot. I am pretty sure its a shorting problem or RAM problem. I will do an outside build tommrow and see if that works then if it does not I will wait until monday for the new ram. If the new RAM in and the build outside of the box and it does not work. I will be lost lol.
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
January 6, 2013 6:59:39 AM

It is not a BIOS issue:
Core i7-3770K (3.5G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,77W,rev.E1) ALL 0801

The CPU is supported starting with the first version (0801).
A short, or bent pins, RAM not properly inserted?
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:35:55 PM

Did an outside build just a minute ago and no success the DRAM Led still lights up and not post. I will wait for the new RAM tomorrow and I checked for CPU bent pins and did not find any. Hmmmm I think I will haft to take it to someone.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 5:26:36 PM

Could be a motherboard issue at this point but wait until trying the new RAM in there first.....before you install new RAM may want to clear the CMOS using the jumper on the board.
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:11:04 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Could be a motherboard issue at this point but wait until trying the new RAM in there first.....before you install new RAM may want to clear the CMOS using the jumper on the board.
By removing the battery on the board clears the CMOS right?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 3:06:20 PM

Turn off PC, unplug power cord.
Move the CLRTC jumper over one position (from pins 1/2 to 2/3), keep there for 10 seconds and move back to pins 1/2
The CLRTC jumper is located just above the front panel header.

After moving the jumper back to original position, insert the power cord and install the RAM you wish to try, then power on the PC.
m
l
January 7, 2013 7:49:22 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
Turn off PC, unplug power cord.
Move the CLRTC jumper over one position (from pins 1/2 to 2/3), keep there for 10 seconds and move back to pins 1/2
The CLRTC jumper is located just above the front panel header.

After moving the jumper back to original position, insert the power cord and install the RAM you wish to try, then power on the PC.
I have done that with the old RAM and new RAM outside of the case to. Here are some pictures for you to take a look at. and everyone else.

http://imgur.com/9RRJX,BdTrb,maF2U#0
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 8:11:08 PM

And pushing the MemOK button does nothing?
If that's the case, could just be a bad board (bad RAM slots)....
m
l
January 7, 2013 9:07:44 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
And pushing the MemOK button does nothing?
If that's the case, could just be a bad board (bad RAM slots)....
Just curious did you look at the pictuers? Yup have done the MemOK went through its cycle but could not fix it. At this point you and I both think its the motherboard with bad RAM slots. Does this ever happen? And if I was going to get another bored is there any kind of warrenty from ASUS and btw i got it off amazon.
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 7, 2013 10:05:33 PM

amazon give you 30 days. asus has a few years warranty on there mb.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:26:48 PM

smorizio said:
amazon give you 30 days. asus has a few years warranty on there mb.
So who should I call?
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 7, 2013 11:16:44 PM

amazon seller first.
m
l
January 8, 2013 1:41:53 AM

smorizio said:
amazon seller first.
I was reading some other threads with the same issue and some people found problem with the psu -5v rail and flashing the bios also worked. I will try to flash the bios when I get a stick but I don't know much about checking the -5v rail any help?
m
l
a c 478 V Motherboard
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
January 8, 2013 3:25:48 AM

you need a volt meter. one that reads ac and dc voltages. the black wires on the 24 pin atx cables are ground. if you look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
1/2 down the pages is the voltage on the color wires.
m
l
January 8, 2013 9:13:23 PM

smorizio said:
you need a volt meter. one that reads ac and dc voltages. the black wires on the 24 pin atx cables are ground. if you look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
1/2 down the pages is the voltage on the color wires.
Flashed the BIOS and now its either has to be the PSU or bad RAM slots what do you think? Btw I am uploading a video of me going over everything and what happens in detail. It will be uploaded soon so check back if it is not up when you are reading this.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2013 7:56:01 PM

The video may help, I'll check back.

I would contact ASUS tech support first and explain that you have RAM on the qualified list and you're getting the DRAM LED and see if they have a suggestion before you go through the trouble of RMA'ing it. That board is not known for RAM issues while using RAM that is on the list. I always use GSkill RAM and have never had an issue on ASUS motherboards.
m
l
January 10, 2013 8:29:48 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
The video may help, I'll check back.

I would contact ASUS tech support first and explain that you have RAM on the qualified list and you're getting the DRAM LED and see if they have a suggestion before you go through the trouble of RMA'ing it. That board is not known for RAM issues while using RAM that is on the list. I always use GSkill RAM and have never had an issue on ASUS motherboards.
I called them and they said they didn't know what to do so they said it was probably DOA. I am sending the motherboard back to amazon to get a full refund while I just ordered an AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 which will be here tomorrow. With the new board everything should work out just fine hopefully. ASUS is probably a good company I just have bad luck with them so therefore I really don't want to get there products. So thanks for all the help, and one last thing. Do you have any tips for me when I am swapping everything over to the new motherboard and putting it in the case?

Thanks!
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:52:41 PM

I just got done finished with my build with the new ASrock Extreme 4 mobo and everything is working good. The motherboard must have been bad. Anyways I am idling at 28-32c with an i7 3770k and a crosair h100. Is that good or not ?

Anyways I just wanted to thank everybody for all the help it was much appreciated.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2013 6:01:10 AM

Good board choice, glad it finally worked out with the RAM.

I'm at 22C with a Zalman CNPS9900 max, no overclocking.
For a liquid cooled system, I'd expect that yours should be cooler (especially idling).
m
l
!