Driver Install Failure

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Windows 7
  • Drivers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2011 5:45:00 AM

I recently tried to install the latest beta driver (285.38 for Windows 7 64 bit), which started giving me issues, not showing the nvidia control panel after restarting, so I tried rolling back drivers to find that those drivers failed to install. So I tried uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and reinstalling, I got 266.58 to work, but beyond that... all newer drivers fail to install.

I also tried rolling back with a system restore, and that failed as well.

I cleared the C:\Nvidia\ folder, and the C:\Program Files\Nvidia Corporation\ folder, along with my temp folder and a few other odds and ends Nvidia related and then did a registry clean, and I'm still having problems installing newer drivers.

It's only the graphics drivers that seems to have trouble, none of the other drivers (3D Vision, PhysX, etc) have problems.

What else can I do, because I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
2 Geforce GTX 470s in SLI

More about : driver install failure

October 2, 2011 5:55:06 AM

Update:

It seems I have updated successfully to 267.24, but cannot update anywhere higher than 270 as Nvidia some new changes made to the installation features in the drivers past 270.

I find this problem most peculiar as not a few days ago, I was using 285.27 Beta drivers with no problems... until I made that next update to 285.38. :( 
Score
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
October 2, 2011 7:15:15 AM

Have you tried deleting the Nvidia .dll files from the system32 folder and then reinstalling?
Score
Related resources
October 3, 2011 4:37:37 AM

I haven't, will be attempting that next, thanks though.

Though I will say having the older drivers has one advantage, I can now play the original Gears of War in Stereoscopic 3D, the newer drivers didn't allow it, even though it's rated "excellent" for 3D.
Score
October 3, 2011 5:53:52 AM

...yep, same story.

Still having driver install failures even with deleting the nvidia related .dll files in the system32 and the SysWOW64 folders and doing a registry clean after that.

I contacted nvidia, so hopefully they might have some more answers for me.

But in the meanwhile, I'll stick with the older drivers until such a time when I can take extreme measures and reinstall my OS to get my drivers working properly again.

I've read some other forums, they say that if you have problems with windows installer, then that might interfere with a successful install of your nvidia drivers, which I've always had problems with windows install so it kinda makes sense that it could be a cause, but it also doesn't because it allowed me to install drivers newer than 270 before.
Score
May 9, 2012 4:56:57 PM

mohawkade said:
...yep, same story.

Still having driver install failures even with deleting the nvidia related .dll files in the system32 and the SysWOW64 folders and doing a registry clean after that.

I contacted nvidia, so hopefully they might have some more answers for me.

But in the meanwhile, I'll stick with the older drivers until such a time when I can take extreme measures and reinstall my OS to get my drivers working properly again.

I've read some other forums, they say that if you have problems with windows installer, then that might interfere with a successful install of your nvidia drivers, which I've always had problems with windows install so it kinda makes sense that it could be a cause, but it also doesn't because it allowed me to install drivers newer than 270 before.

This worked for me. Fewer steps and no other programs needed. Real stupid solution, but I hope it proves useful for someone. Log in as an adminstrator to your Windows 7 PC:

1) Download driver program "285.62-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql. exe" (obtained from http://www.geforce.com/Drivers)
2) Run to unpack files (default folder "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\ International")
3) Fail initial installation, or cancel
4) Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager
5) Right-click your video card and click "Update Driver Software..."
6) Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
7) Browse to folder where you unpacked the files (ensure "Include subfolders" is checkmarked)
8) Continue with install (may take a few minutes and screen may flicker during install)
9) Restart your computer
Score
July 19, 2012 2:05:28 PM

sexst said:
This worked for me. Fewer steps and no other programs needed. Real stupid solution, but I hope it proves useful for someone. Log in as an adminstrator to your Windows 7 PC:

1) Download driver program "285.62-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql. exe" (obtained from http://www.geforce.com/Drivers)
2) Run to unpack files (default folder "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\ International")
3) Fail initial installation, or cancel
4) Go to Control Panel -> Device Manager
5) Right-click your video card and click "Update Driver Software..."
6) Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
7) Browse to folder where you unpacked the files (ensure "Include subfolders" is checkmarked)
8) Continue with install (may take a few minutes and screen may flicker during install)
9) Restart your computer
Thank you, this worked perfectly!

One note though: if, like me, you don't see your NVIDIA card under 'Display Adapters', then:

1) Scroll down to 'other devices', find something that looks like 'Video Card' or 'Display'
2) Right click it -> 'Scan for Hardware Changes'.
..This should detect your card; if it found it, it will probably let you know, and/or display it under 'Display Adapters'. For example, mine says "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M".
3) Restart your computer
4) Follow steps #1-9 above

Hope this helps anyone else who might be stuck!
Score
a c 173 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
July 19, 2012 4:23:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!