Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

High pitch whining noise from mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 5, 2013 11:32:09 PM

Did my first test boot :) . Everything went well, except for a high pitch whining noise when it's turned on. The sound is coming from the CPU area. What could this be? I've read about this and people say it's not a faulty mobo and some people say it is. Will this go away after I actually use it (just did a test boot without any drives) What should I do to fix this?
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 114 à CPUs
January 5, 2013 11:54:24 PM

My guess is that it's the CPU fan running at full speed, until the BIOS takes control.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 12:10:38 AM

alexoiu said:
My guess is that it's the CPU fan running at full speed, until the BIOS takes control.

My CPU fan isn't connected
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 114 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 12:13:15 AM

So you've just started the board without any component installed?
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 12:17:35 AM

alexoiu said:
So you've just started the board without any component installed?

Only thing connected to my board was my ram and my optical drive.
m
0
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 114 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 12:26:23 AM

No idea. I would wait for the CPU, install it and see if still the same.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 12:30:27 AM

alexoiu said:
No idea. I would wait for the CPU, install it and see if still the same.

I think I may have mislead you. When I said the only thing connected was ram and optical drive, I thought you knew the CPU was already installed So, my CPU is installed.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 12:33:44 AM

manofchalk said:
Its somewhat rare for mobo's to experience coil whine but it can happen.
Does the mobo sound like this? Skip to 1:40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9akNRmlcNE
or This? Skip to 1:45, though the whole video is worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

No, mine sounds like a dog whistle. It's like that high pitched. It's to the point that it seems like I shouldn't be able to pick up the sound with my ears.
m
0
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 114 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:02:10 AM

army1506 said:
I think I may have mislead you. When I said the only thing connected was ram and optical drive, I thought you knew the CPU was already installed So, my CPU is installed.


And you started the board with the CPU installed, and no CPU fan? Not a good idea.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 8:41:44 AM

alexoiu said:
And you started the board with the CPU installed, and no CPU fan? Not a good idea.

I really don't think it's a problem seeing it was only off for a test boot. (10secs). Plus I'm waiting for a h100 so I didn't see the sense in installing the stock CPU fan for a test boot then taking it off and installing the h100.
m
0
l
!