Advice on a i7 3630k build vs a 2600k build?

n00berry

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hello experts,

I am shopping to build my first desktop. I am trying to which of two possible builds to complete. One potential build is based on an Intel i7 2600k. The other potential build is based on an Intel i7 3630k.

I was hoping that one of the very helpful experts in this forum could point out any mistakes I might be making, or offer any advice about choosing between the builds.

I will have two main uses for the desktop:
- I am a grad student in the physical sciences, and I run a lot of python and compiled C++ code for my research. My analysis involves applying various selections to a large dataset, and extra cores help.
- I play video games occasionally. I like Civ 5, and I would like to play Skyrim.

I have a few restrictions for the desktop:
- I would like to overclock the CPU (maybe the GPU?) of whatever I build.
- I would like the PC to run quietly, if possible. I see a lot of comments along the lines of "Play with headphones if noise is a problem for you." I won't be the only person in the room, so that's not an option for me.
- I will buy the components in the USA when I visit my family for the holidays, but I will build the computer at my home in Europe, where prices are higher. I'll have to wait a year before my next trip to the US, so waiting for Intel ivy bridge CPUs or nvidia kepler GPUs is not an attractive option.

Both builds include:
- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB), DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) [USD 84.99]
- GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GTX 580 [USD 509.99]
- Power supply: LEPA G900-MA, 900W, 80Plus Gold PS [USD 179.99]
- Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24B3ST/LT DVD Drive [USD 29.99]
- HDD: Caviar Green 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD10EARS [USD 139.99]
- SSD: Vertex 3 SSD Series 60GB SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce 2281 Controller [USD 119.99]
- Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower [USD 54.99]

The i7 2600k build includes:
- CPU: Core i7 2600K LGA 1155 [USD 279.99]
- Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 [USD 189.99]
- Cooling: Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler [USD 29.99]
- Thermal paste: Artic 5 Silver [USD 9.99]

The i7 3630k build includes:
- CPU: Core i7 3930K LGA 2011[USD 599.99]
- Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 X79 [USD 319.99]
- Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80 [USD 0 -- comes with the CPU]

Price difference between the two builds: ~USD 410.

Some specific questions:
- The power supply is rated for 900W, which might be a little bit too much... I just wanted to have room for expansion (maybe another GTX 580 for SLI someday?) and comfortable overclocking. Am I wasting money/energy?
- My impression from reading benchmarks on Tom's Hardware and elsewhere is that a single 580 GTX with a Sandy Bridge i7 2600k or better is more than enough power to run Skyrim or Civ 5 on ultra settings at 1980x1020. Has anyone observed differently?
- The motherboard I chose for the i7 2600k has four DIMM slots. Is there any reason not to use 4 memory sticks? Would two be better?
- The RAM I've chosen seems to be made for an x79 motherboard. Would it still work well in a Z68 motherboard? The part number for the RAM is F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL, if it helps.
- I got an SSD so that I could take advantage of the SSD caching on the ASUS X79 and ASUS Z68 motherboards. Do I need to use RAID too? Or am I ok as-is?

Can any of the veterans here alert me to any potential pitfalls in advance? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks very much!

cutebeans

Distinguished
i7-2600k. The new lga 2011 cpus are so weak for the price that it isn't worth it my friend.

Don't get a GREEN hard drive btw. You should get a WD black or blue not green.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
my thoughts are these...
-take the 2600k over the 3930k rarely does the 3930k beat the 2600k and when it does its not by enough to justify the cost.
-ive never heard of LEPA for power supplies but if you know them well and trust them buy them.
-you can get a 1TB drive cheap still at bestbuy/fry's/microcenter or most other brick and mortar stores.

-running your power supply at 50% is ideal for power efficiency once you get over 80% or under 20% load your efficiency starts to suck.
-i run skyrim on a much slower card at max settings but no AA and its smooth. a 580 would be awesome with skyrim.
-go ahead and use 2 or 4 slots for ram. the only recent system that has issues with half full or fullly filled slots is the socket 1366 systems, for some reason they are slower with 6 slots filled than with 3. but only by 5% or so.
-ive not set up ssd caching but my understanding is that you put your ssd/hdd into a raid type config then you install windows. you cant do it the other way around. unless you dont want it to be your boot drive. but again i haven't messed with it.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Typically, for gaming, there isn't much benefit going for anything beyond 2500k. But since your use case is more towards data analysis, etc. the additional 2 cores of the 3930k would be worthwhile.

The datasets that you analyze, will they be large files on the hard disk? If so, you'd do well to go in for a 7200 rpm drive like the Caviar Black, instead of the Caviar Green (which is quiet, needs little power, but has slow seeks).

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
It sounds like your not a very heavy gamer, both civ 5 and skyrim do not really push a GPU that hard. I don't know if your trying to save money or your budget is set very loosely. But with that good of a processor you should be getting over 60 FPS easily in those games (and almost all games) even with a cheaper video card like a gtx 560 ti like this one :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

However, if you do intend to play new games in the future or your budget is not an issue definitely get the gtx 580 it is a beast.

I would go with a different brand of power supply I've never even heard of them. Corsair is very good, and unless you plan to run SLI a 650 or 750 watt power supply should be fine. Most GPU cards can run SLI even on 650 or 750 watt power supplies, not sure about 580s though.

Generally I feel it is better to use 2 slots of ram unless you need more memory. 8 GB should be enough unless you actually use more then that. Most people don't even go over 4 GB with games and multitasking. But if your doing some crazy ram intensive stuff get 16gb. But otherwise its better just 2 slots, uses less power, less heat, less complications etc.

That ram should work on any ddr3 platform but it may be optimized for X79. If you don't go with X79 I would get something else just to be safe.

And I would definitely recommend a 2600k. I just bought one and am waiting for it to come from new egg. If I am understanding your computer use correctly it should be a perfect fit for you. It is much cheaper, less power/heat consumption, and should be easier to overclock due to 4 cores. Either chip will get excessive frame rates in any game with a good GPU, so unless money isn't an issue at all I wouldn't recommend the 3630k for the current price.