Sign in with
Your question

Computer hangs up at loading screen

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2012 2:47:58 PM

Hello,

I was surfing the net when I got the blue screen of death. I restarted and it freezes up at windows loading screen. I tried booting up in safe mode and it doesn't work, hangs up at classpnp.sys . I googled this read/tried everything I could find still doesn't work. I formated the HDD and tried to install a new copy of windows but it freezes up on installation, tried with windows 7, vista and xp (same thing on all)
I've tested every component and the only problem I could find is the processor. I moved my processor on another computer with similar specs and the same thing. I finally sent it back to the retailer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

My computer specs

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 black edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78LMT-S2
RAM: 2 Kingston 2GB
HDD: WD 500GB
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GT430

Any thoughts?
a c 127 à CPUs
March 1, 2012 2:50:44 PM

Have you run a write test on the HDD? A lot of times the HDD will pass every other tes. I would hook it up to a working PC and download the SeaTools for Windows and WDDIAG. Run both read tests from those tests and then the write test from the WDDIAG tool.

I have had plenty of HDDs pass other diags then run a write test or the SeaTools diags and they fail.

The issues you are describing seem to indicate the HDD can't write properly.
m
l
March 1, 2012 3:04:34 PM

Yes I have tested with SeaTools and the HDD is ok.

I also tried putting another processor (phenom II x4 normal edition) on my computer and the system works fine. That's how I figured out
that my processor was to blame. But what I can't figure out is what's wrong with it. Also haven't done any overclocking on it
m
l
!