How does this seem for a gaming build?

sgrey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hey everyone, just wanted to see what you think about this gaming build i was building with black friday deals from newegg. I plan on running 1920 x 1080 on my main screen for gaming, and possibly like 1680 x 1050 on a secondary screen for running videos or web browsing. I'm not sure if my older screen that i may use as secondary can handle above that resolution, because thats its highest currently with my older geforce 8800 gt card. This is my first attempt at building a pc though, so any help is appreciated. Also not sure what i should overclock the cpu speed to be.

My current set up with the parts im getting are:

asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1 lga 1155 motherboard

intel i5-2500k quad core processor

hyper 212 cooler master heat sink fan for overclocking cpu and keeping it cool

crucial m4 64gb SSD sata 3 drive for OS and maybe a few games

2 geforce 560 ti graphics cards in sli, both evga but two different models, i heard that the first one tends to run hot in sli so when i got the second card i decided to get a dual fan model, but both have the same general specs and are the evga superclocked models

23" Acer widescreen monitor with 1920 x 1080 support

asus blu ray dvd/vd reader/writer

seasonic x750 power supply, 750W 80% Gold rated

rosewill THOR V2 case

8 GB corsair vengeance (2 x 4GB) 240 pin DDR3 1600

Solution
Build looks pretty good. A couple of suggestions:

- Stay away from the bulk Asus DVD burners - they are terrible. Lite-On, Sony, Plextor, and so many others are much better.

- Make sure you get the low profile Vengeance RAM if you're going to be installing an aftermarket cooler. The giant heat sinks on the standard Vengeance RAM make working with large coolers extremely difficult.

- I'm not a big fan of Rosewill cases - the ones I've used tend to be really cheaply made. My go-to case is usually the Corsair Carbide, but also look at the NZXT Phantom and Cooler Master HAF 922.

- Go with a Z68 board over a P67 - better support for SSD and unlocked CPUs.

- The amount of VRAM a card has generally isn't that important - the higher end...

g-unit1111

Titan
Build looks pretty good. A couple of suggestions:

- Stay away from the bulk Asus DVD burners - they are terrible. Lite-On, Sony, Plextor, and so many others are much better.

- Make sure you get the low profile Vengeance RAM if you're going to be installing an aftermarket cooler. The giant heat sinks on the standard Vengeance RAM make working with large coolers extremely difficult.

- I'm not a big fan of Rosewill cases - the ones I've used tend to be really cheaply made. My go-to case is usually the Corsair Carbide, but also look at the NZXT Phantom and Cooler Master HAF 922.

- Go with a Z68 board over a P67 - better support for SSD and unlocked CPUs.

- The amount of VRAM a card has generally isn't that important - the higher end cards utilize more VRAM, not the mid range ones.

Solution

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Looks good. I'd probably go with a z68 board but the p67 is fine if you don't want quick sync or the ssd cache system.

Also do you already have a hard drive or are you going to try to manage with just 64GB?

sgrey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
i have another hard drive for general storage yes, the 64gb is mainly for OS. possibly whatever game im currently planning to play

as far as the rosewill i heard most are cheap, but this one got some great reviews for being a solid high end case

i dont inted to use the asus for burning, i just needed some kind of drive and i thought it would be nice to have blu ray playback capability. new egg had a sale with a rebate making the device much cheaper than other blu ray drives

g-unit1111

Titan

If you're going to get an inexpensive drive for BD-R playback I'd recommend one of these, I have one and it's great. Fairly inexpensive, it burns quick and reads most blu-ray movies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239

sgrey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
recently i just got a spintpoint f3 1tb drive at 7200 rpm since it too was on sale on new egg.

do you think that would be good for general gaming to have fast enough load times? or should i just install whatever current game im playing to the SSD drive to guarentee that game runs smooth?

g-unit1111

Titan

It'll be fine. I use one as a secondary drive on my workstation (primary is a 64GB Crucial M4) and it's plenty fast - I store a lot of my programs on it and they all load pretty quickly.