Changing CPU to new MoBo

hey all,
im getting a new MoBo in today (had to upgrade) , and im gonna use the CPU that i already have (phenom II 840 i believe). so my question is do i need to buy new thermal paste (not sure correct name) to protect CPU? If i need to buy some does the stuff at the local best buy work good or should i just suck it up and order some online, and wait to use my new stuff ? I didnt think about this till today or i would have ordered some with the MoBo.
5 answers Last reply
More about changing mobo
  1. Yes you will need new thermal paste. If your local store has Artic SIlver 5, that is one of the best for a good price. If not, try to find that online.
  2. will i need to completely need to wipe off the old stuff or just touch it up?
  3. kanga80 said:
    will i need to completely need to wipe off the old stuff or just touch it up?

Hi :)

Clean it off BOTH surfaces then apply the new cement...a very small amount (half pea size) then spread it evenly with something like a credit card...

All the best Brett :)
  4. should i really spread it? the videos and articles ive read say, just a pea drop size on the center of the proc, and then put ur fan, with no spreading.
  5. when u spread it yourself you can ensure you're covering as much of the surface as possible. the drop and smush technique is just plain lazy.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Thermal Compound Product