Sign in with
Your question

Changing CPU to new MoBo

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2012 2:55:25 PM

hey all,
im getting a new MoBo in today (had to upgrade) , and im gonna use the CPU that i already have (phenom II 840 i believe). so my question is do i need to buy new thermal paste (not sure correct name) to protect CPU? If i need to buy some does the stuff at the local best buy work good or should i just suck it up and order some online, and wait to use my new stuff ? I didnt think about this till today or i would have ordered some with the MoBo.

More about : changing cpu mobo

a c 126 à CPUs
March 1, 2012 2:59:12 PM

Yes you will need new thermal paste. If your local store has Artic SIlver 5, that is one of the best for a good price. If not, try to find that online.
m
l
March 1, 2012 3:10:01 PM

will i need to completely need to wipe off the old stuff or just touch it up?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 1, 2012 5:43:16 PM

kanga80 said:
will i need to completely need to wipe off the old stuff or just touch it up?

Hi :) 

Clean it off BOTH surfaces then apply the new cement...a very small amount (half pea size) then spread it evenly with something like a credit card...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:39:12 PM

should i really spread it? the videos and articles ive read say, just a pea drop size on the center of the proc, and then put ur fan, with no spreading.
m
l
March 1, 2012 6:41:41 PM

when u spread it yourself you can ensure you're covering as much of the surface as possible. the drop and smush technique is just plain lazy.
m
l
!