Help with computer lagging problems when watching feeds

Stacocakes

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Hello everyone. I frequently have 4 or 5 sports streams on at one time each night and I am starting to get a problem of my machine hesitating or lagging alot while these games are running. It has even got to the point where it takes about 3-5 seconds to switch between windows when these games are up and running. I checked in the task manager to see if it was a problem with memory and at these times my memory was running around 75% so I tried rebooting the system to clear some of the programs running in memory and it got the number down to about 50% memory usage during the games but I am still having the problem with extreme lagging when trying to change windows or browse websites while the streams are running. If I scale back to 3 streams at once the problem is not as bad and I don't have as much lag when checking other sites. I am just wondering what you guys think I can do to help speed this up so I can watch the 4 or 5 streams at once on my computer without any performance problems. Is this an issue with my computers ram or is it an issue with my internet speed?

My computer is an i7 920 @ 2.67 GHZ and I have 6 gb of ram.

Any help would be appreciated

G

i would suggest getting a tcip bandwidth monitor; there are some good streaming sites and there are others that just plain suck; a bandwidth monitor would help you see if the stream is bottle necking.

got Ccleaner?

though honestly, FIVE streams?!? lol! that is a little excessive.

Stacocakes

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Thank you for the responses. I have tried the speedtest.net site and I am seeing 17.3 mbps download speed and a ping of 30 ms. I will check on the ccleaner later tonight.

I have tried using chrome so far today and there hasn't been any lag. (though I only have a couple streams up right now). Will see how this holds up as the night goes on. Could possibly be an issue with firefox since I have done some searching on the net for firefox lagging and it seems many people are having a lagging problem with it.

Thanks for everyone's help so far

G

That is true for flash being the container. However when it comes to Real-time Streaming Protocol (RTSP), Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) and the Real-time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) which streams the video; most streaming providers recommend firefox or chrome.

faassko

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

https://sourceforge.net/projects/taskkill/