Laptop Blu Ray to HAF932A

vulrack

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm gearing up to build a gaming rig in the next month or so and wanted to see if this was possible before I put more items on my watchlist.

I want to take my blu-ray optical drive from my laptop (Gateway 5927U) and install it into my HAF932A. What kind of adapters/converters would I need to buy and/or casing for me to be able to use the bluray drive on my desktop? Does the HAF932A case have any moveable brackets inside for me to mount this drive in the bays?

Also, would it be a better idea if I were just to put the optical in an external casing and use USB to connect to desktop/laptop? This drive would be my primary and only optical drive for my desktop if this makes a difference.

Lastly, does doing this make sense or am I better off just putting a cheapo dvd writer in the desktop? I wouldn't say I watch a lot of Blu-Rays, but it would be nice to have that option.

Thanks!

Solution
(1) I'd probably go with the USB2 enclouser for a DVD drive (Blu-ray would have the same formfactor). This would probably be better than trying to jusry rig in to a Case bay.

(2) The first set would be to verify ease of removing from laptop. Some, like my two toshibias are very easy, one screw on the back and pull it out (They hid the screw form 2nd toshibia in side the Memory slot compartment. I replaced the DVD-RW drives in both laptops with a Blu-ray Rom/DVDRW drive and one off the ones I removed put in a USB2 enclosure.

(3) Once removed look at the connectors, Most are standorized, But a few may have a "NON-standerd" Power an Data connector.

Not sure really cost effective as A Blu-ray/DVDRw drive is Only $60...
(1) I'd probably go with the USB2 enclouser for a DVD drive (Blu-ray would have the same formfactor). This would probably be better than trying to jusry rig in to a Case bay.

(2) The first set would be to verify ease of removing from laptop. Some, like my two toshibias are very easy, one screw on the back and pull it out (They hid the screw form 2nd toshibia in side the Memory slot compartment. I replaced the DVD-RW drives in both laptops with a Blu-ray Rom/DVDRW drive and one off the ones I removed put in a USB2 enclosure.

(3) Once removed look at the connectors, Most are standorized, But a few may have a "NON-standerd" Power an Data connector.

Not sure really cost effective as A Blu-ray/DVDRw drive is Only $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136232

A enclosure such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136232 is $22 and that is without an external Power supply (ac adaptor or Brick). The brick may or may not be required, it depends on how much current the Drive takes during writting. Max current for a USB 2 port is Only 0.5 Amps (equates to a max power output capability of 2.5 Watts)

If no cables are required then this would save about $40 - any cables need. Only you can answer if the $40 dollars saving is worth the hassle.

Solution

vulrack

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks RetiredChief, it seems like the link you provided fro the enclosure is the same as the blu-ray/dvdrw drive - do you mind putting up the enclosure for $22?

If I were to use an external, would I still need to install a dvd drive to my desktop? Would I be able to boot from the USB external or will the computer not recognize it?

Yeah I know the price I'm saving is nominal, it was more for the project side of it and transferring my blu-ray from my laptop to my desktop without having to buy another blu-ray drive. So if there's an easy way for me to fit the optical into the drive bay then I might try to do it. I already have an external usb that I plan on using for my laptop (but I can't for see myself needing to use CDs on my laptop after I've built my system).

Thanks!
Xiao