MSI 970A-G46 stuck in loop (CPU power phase 1) after I turn it off!

andrew24wow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hey. so I recently built a computer(Using it now) but something odd happens randomly when i turn off the system a blue led light flashs constantly corresponding with on and off? also when I try to turn on the system it countiunes the procces so I am stuck with turning off the psu. but I know how to fix it every time but it is a real pain... I have to reconnect the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors and the reason why it is a pain to do it is because I have several case fans on the side panel...what should I do?

andrew24wow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

well randomly the board will be in a loop of cpu power phase one after I turn it off so I just disconnect the psu then when i plug it back in it continues.

andrew24wow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Bur it isn't hibernating or sort because the system hardware turns off and on...

andrew24wow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Windows 8, I have to push it in I don't take it out. i do swtich off the psu it just countunies when i turn it on again.

lindy11

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

I am having exact same problem, same board. Did you every figure out prob? I will post solution on here if I find one.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
try this see if it shuts down completely
From a cmd prompt, run: shutdown /s /full / t 0 to invoke an immediate full shutdown. Also, choosing Restart from the UI will do a full shutdown, followed by a cold boot.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
disable fast startup in power options , if not computer never shuts down completely in win 8
Disable fast startup via the Shutdown settings in Win8′s Power Options menu. Open the Win8 Control Panel and click Hardware and Sound/Power Options/System Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the dialog box and deselect Turn on fast startup

lindy11

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
jerry 6....I really don't think its a software issue. I have win 7, and it was doing same thing. For me...When you plug the cord into the back of the PSU, or if you shut down windows (meaning cord still plugged in obviously) and after computer shuts down; it a led light on the mobo starts blinking rapidly, and the fans (case and psu) will turn off and on. Also, on my case the front led fan light will blink rapidly as well.

Its all very uniform. Basically the power is turning on and off very rapid. about 2 cycles a second. According to the mobo manual, the led light that blinks means the mobo is in CPU power phase One. There are 4 phases. All 4 led lights lit is normal (power phase 4).

Andrew. I know you have re seated your 8 pin, and 24 pin power cables. If you have alot of case fans, then I imagine the 8 pin connector is not easy to get to. specially, if like me, and you have a big cpu heatsink.

I re seated all my expansion cards, ram, and especially made sure that 8 pin connector was on tight, and so far (knock on wood), it has not done it again. The fact that it is a intermittent problem probably points to a connection somewhere, or maybe a short.

Anything changes, I'll let you know.