Sign in with
Your question

How much power will my system need?

Last response: in Components
March 1, 2012 4:51:02 PM

I wanted to ask how much power my system will use so that I can buy my power supply. Here are what I've bought so far:

FX4100
6870 video card
DVD drive
2x4gb DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM HHD
ASUS M5A78L-M LX motherboard

I would want to overclock as well. I haven't bought fans yet either.

I wanted to ask rather than use a calculator, such as Newegg's, because I read somewhere that they're not too accurate. I know that I should have something in the 500W range, but if I were to overclock, would I need a little bit more? Maybe 600W?

Thanks!

More about : power system

a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:03:53 PM

Well yeah I think a 600W PSU will get you covered. Your graphics card needs 500W but if you are looking onto crossfire then 600W are recommended. I think you should go for 600W as the difference in price is not much and is still very cheap.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2012 5:13:23 PM

ijamjl said:
I wanted to ask how much power my system will use so that I can buy my power supply. Here are what I've bought so far:

FX4100
6870 video card
DVD drive
2x4gb DDR3 RAM
7200 RPM HHD
ASUS M5A78L-M LX motherboard

I would want to overclock as well. I haven't bought fans yet either.

I wanted to ask rather than use a calculator, such as Newegg's, because I read somewhere that they're not too accurate. I know that I should have something in the 500W range, but if I were to overclock, would I need a little bit more? Maybe 600W?

Thanks!

anything reliable with 40a+ on the 12v rail. i think right now, the PC power and cooling 600w is at a very good price
m
l
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 5:21:42 PM

The two biggest power consumers are the CPU and the GPU. In your rig the GPU is rated at 151W TDP and the CPU is rated at 95W TDP. The rest of your rig may pull another 100w or so at full load. Factor in another 10A or so for the OC (120W). A good quality 500W PSU is sufficient for your rig and OC. Something like the Seasonic S12II-520W is more than sufficient for your rig.

If you haven't bought the CPU/mob yet, then I would seriously consider going for an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU and mobo. An I3 2120 and a decent 1155 mobo will give you a great upgrade path to an Ivy Bridge. Once you get to the 6870/6950 GPU performance level, your system bottleneck will become the CPU depending on your game. Even though you can't appreciably OC the I3 2120, it still beats an OCd FX4100. Take a look at these recent Tom's articles:
1. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
2. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...

Edit: The extra 10A for OC would allow OC on CPU and GPU.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2012 5:23:31 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

Add at least another 5 Amps or more to the +12 Volt continuous current rating to handle overclocking of the CPU.
m
l
March 1, 2012 5:47:25 PM

@Gate9er

I don't plan on using/having crossfire, mainly because I don't really know what it is. I think it has something to do with multiple graphics cards? Anyhow, I don't think it's necessary for me to be involved with it (for now). :) 

@dirtyferret & ko888

Thanks for the info. :D 

@Rugger

I've already bought the CPU/motherboard. The only reason why I went with it is because (a) it saved me nearly $100, and (b) I don't need anything too hardcore. I understand the fact that Intel will easily be able to upgrade, but I don't plan on spending extra money in such a short time for my computer. I can still return the items, but I don't really want to unless there's a great deal that'll make the price for the CPU+motherboard a total under $150ish. I got my setup from Microcenter, so that CPU/motherboard combo cost me $100.

I thank you all for the quick replies. :p 
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2012 5:54:00 PM

The ASUS M5A78L-M LX motherboard has only one PCIe x16 slot so you can't install more than one PCIe x16 graphics card.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:00:18 PM

ijamjl said:
@Gate9er
@Rugger

I've already bought the CPU/motherboard. The only reason why I went with it is because (a) it saved me nearly $100, and (b) I don't need anything too hardcore. I understand the fact that Intel will easily be able to upgrade, but I don't plan on spending extra money in such a short time for my computer. I can still return the items, but I don't really want to unless there's a great deal that'll make the price for the CPU+motherboard a total under $150ish. I got my setup from Microcenter, so that CPU/motherboard combo cost me $100.
I thank you all for the quick replies. :p 

I wouldn't bother if you already have the CPU/Mobo and got it for $100. To get an I3 2120 and a decent Mobo would cost around $180-200 (not to mention the restocking fees) and wouldn't give you a massive immediate performance advantage.
m
l
March 10, 2012 11:52:18 PM

I just wanted to update and let those who helped me know what I decided to buy. I saw a deal on this PSU and got it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is above what was recommended (+40A), and has a good number of reviews (not to mention that it's Antec). If anyone thinks that this isn't a good choice, let me know so that I can cancel my order!
m
l
!