Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Z77 motherboard for features OR Switch to 2011 SB-E/IB-E

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2013 8:20:27 AM

So, I'm searching for a motherboard, and I'm looking for something with... relevant features. Something that is "future-proof". I’m using a 2600k, and I’ve read that even though it’s later gen, I should go with the z77 series over the z68 series.

I’m planning on overclocking it, using air right now, and potentially water later on. Most people recommend the Extreme4 or the Pro-V, however, I’m running a SLI set-up with 2 GTX680’s and I want to get the most out of them. I’ve considered the Asus Sabertooth Z77, the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, the AsRock OC Formula and the Gigabyte UP5 TH.

I’m looking at utilizing thunderbolt or whatever it’s called when the technology becomes more available, however, I still don’t know if I will find any use with it.

I don’t mind onboard sound, however it would be a nice bonus, and I’d love to sell my Fat1lity Extreme. The Asus ROG Formula is another option.

My budget is unlimited; however I’d like to stick to below $300, Unless of course, I decide to switch to 2011 chipset :) . I’ve considered the Asus Maximus V Extreme; however it doesn’t seem to feature all the newer features like Wi-fi, Bluetooth and Thunderbolt. I may be wrong however.

Oh, I’m also planning on changing my current HAF X to a Fractal Design R4 or a NZXT Switch 810 (Still deciding), so size shouldn’t be an issue. So what would be the best choice.

Oh, if it’s useful, I use the computer for University (I do computer science), gaming, video editing, and I occasionally run small servers for games. Also for general use.

Specs are as follows:
CPU: i7-2600k
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600mhz (may add another 8gb)
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX680+ 4gb in SLI
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Storage: 2x OCZ Vertex 2 (may swap for 2 or 3 Samsung 830’s later down the road)
2x WD Black 2tb HDD’s

Also, another option would be to switch to 2011, and not bother. Apparently IB-E will be out sometime this year, and it may be a worthy investment. So what are you opinions?

:EDIT: What is the MSI motherboard like? I've been told a lot of bad things from friends and friend's friends that they're very unreliable and cheaply made. The M-Power looks like another option.
January 6, 2013 8:00:01 PM

rolli59 said:
Maybe this will help selecting http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77x-up5-th-z77a-gd...
Review for the MSI mpower which offers a lot for the current price http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/28/msi_z77_mpowe...

Hi :)  Thank you for answering.

I've read through that article multiple times, and I personally don't feel any of those boards will... Satisfy what I want.

I like the Gigabyte Up5 TH, however, I absolutely hate it's IO layout, and the rest of Gigabytes boards do the same. I see it pointless to have a VGA and DVI output, IMHO. So those are pretty much off of my list.

I also like the sabertooth, but it isn't compatible with Thunderbolt.

I'll look into the MSI M-Power, I'm still skeptical of what my friends and others have been telling me with their build quality though.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1163 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 9:13:20 PM
a c 1163 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 10:00:50 PM

Usually overpriced compared to the features you get with the PRO. Regardless a good board from a top tier manufacturer.
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:07:05 PM

Best answer selected by manshiny.
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:07:40 PM

Thanks :)  I'll keep looking into stuff, but the board you linked is really good, I think I might just go with it. And it's far cheaper and looks virtually the same as the Deluxe.
m
l
!