Upgrade a core 2 duo system

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Core
  • Processors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2011 2:29:38 PM

I have an awd abit max mboard and im looking to breate some new life into her. Its ben a few years since any upgrade and im currently using core 2 duo 2.22 ghz processor i think and an nvidia 9600GT 512mb video card.

Im looking to play games and hand the processor and card from this machine down to my media centre pc. Im thinking an intel extreme processor and I have 2 pci express x16 slots.

Is it even worth upgrading this machine?

Thanks for reading

More about : upgrade core duo system

a b B Homebuilt system
November 28, 2011 3:00:28 PM

It's not worth upgrading if you're not going to buy a new motherboard, gfx card, RAM, and CPU. You'll probably want to upgrade to a Sandy bridge CPU
November 29, 2011 9:37:49 AM

"Its not worth upgrading if im not going to upgrade" Im not sure I understand this? Was thinking of handing my other parts down to other core 2 duo system (I have 2).
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 10:27:12 AM

1st. System LGA775+DDR2 RAM (better proc+better GPU)
2nd. System LGA775+DDR2 RAM (this will receive the proc and GPU from 1st. system)

Will be:
1st. System LGA775+DDR2 (new GPU+ LGA775 extreme edition proc)
2nd. System LGA775+DDR2 (proc+GPU from 1st. System)

Is it this way? I am a bit dizzy with your situation.

If it is really this way.
Then....yes, it is not worth it :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 10:29:07 AM

It is better
1st. System Sandybridge, new mobo, new RAM, SSD
2nd. System LGA775+DDR2 (proc+GPU from previous 1st. System)

a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 10:31:11 AM

confuseis said:
"Its not worth upgrading if im not going to upgrade" Im not sure I understand this? Was thinking of handing my other parts down to other core 2 duo system (I have 2).

I meant: "If you're not willing to buy a system with the Sandy bridge CPUs, it's not worth upgrading. You want a complete overhaul for any gaming improvements"
November 29, 2011 10:31:33 AM

Upgrading your current machine isn't worth it, specially if you want to get an extreme CPU like you said.
First of all, finding one that will fit your board will be very hard.
Secondly, you didn't specify your motherboard model, it might not even be able to support an extreme CPU. and if I'm not wroth there was only a quad core extreme cpu.
Also how much memory do you have installed on your board?

With all of that, building a new machine would be much faster than looking for older parts, and who knows... might be even cheaper?
November 29, 2011 10:57:22 AM

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/ir/motherboard/motherboard_...

I suppose i was thinking that the extreme edition processor was significantly faster than the current 2.2ghz core 2 duo I have presently and that a modern video card would be be significantly faster than the nvisia 9600gt I currently have.

From what I am reading then this is not the case.
November 30, 2011 1:52:24 PM

I was thinking about getting the extreme processor on ebay for 70 - 100
!