Dual Monitor Problem - Flashing Black Line (ATI Radeon Sapphire HD5450)

I have a 22 inch widescreen and a 19 inch box monitor connected via DVI and VGA cables to an ATI Sapphire HD5450 graphics card. When I choose to extend the desktop onto the box monitor, I have a flashing black line on the screen. This only seems to appear while I'm using the computer - at idle it is a clear screen. I have duplicated the screen and there isn't a problem - only when I extend the desktop from monitor 1 to monitor 2. Anyone know how I can fix this?
6 answers Last reply
More about dual monitor problem flashing black line radeon sapphire hd5450
  1. hm... dont know if this will work
    but you can try going to catalyst control and disable overdrive if it is enabled
    just uncheck the box by the overdrive
    good luck! :D
  2. Thanks for your reply, tomate2.

You hit the nail on the head. Worked like a charm!
  3. tomate2 said:
    hm... dont know if this will work
    but you can try going to catalyst control and disable overdrive if it is enabled
    just uncheck the box by the overdrive
    good luck! :D

I had this problem today, same card (2nd day of using it on a dual monitor), but I'd not touched overdrive. However, after reading this I selected 'default' in CCC settings (couldn't see a 'disable overdrive' option) and...
    IT WORKED.

Great tip thanks. My guess is that when I increased the refresh rate from 60 to 75Hz on one of the monitors it must have triggered an overdrive function and didn't reset it when I reverted to 60Hz.
  4. wow guys! it is rely working! thanks!
  5. This works but what if I want to use overdrive? Not a very good solution... thanks anyway.
  6. willpatt89 said:
    This works but what if I want to use overdrive? Not a very good solution... thanks anyway.

The problem will return once you start a game or any heavy video. This video card don't like VGA, just used HDMI and DVI cable to monitor and you good.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Dual Monitors Monitors Sapphire ATI Graphics