Sign in with
Your question

Ram Slot 1 not working

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2013 10:59:01 AM

Ok guys i have an issue and need some advice. I'm using an 17 2600k on an Asus Maxiumus IV Gene z/Gen 3 ROG edition mobo.

I had this PC built for me, and ever since i got it, i've been using 2x4GB of 1600mhz dual channel DDR3 Ripjaws, in channel A (Slots 2 & 4). Recently i decided to put another 2x4GB in channel B (Slots 1 & 3). Now whenever i put ram in slot 1, My PC will not post. It boots up for a second, then restarts with just the fans and case lights running. The PC will post with ram in slots 2, 3 & 4 though.

So what do you guys think it could be? faulty socket? Bent CPU Socket pins? Bad memory controller?

I forgot to add, my PC is running a loop, so it would be a pain in the ass to drain it just to look at the socket pins, my only worry are that if some are bent, the long term affects that may have on my PC.

More about : ram slot working

a c 559 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:10:32 AM

Hi, With only one RAM stick in the slot 1, does it boot? If not, then it looks like a bent pin/s issue. Long term influence? Hard to say. Probably not, excepting the slot 1 not being usable.
January 6, 2013 11:16:39 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. No the PC will not boot with a single stick of ram in slot one. But the PC does seem pretty stable. I have my CPU overclocked to 4.7GHZ using a combination of turbo boost and raised Base clock, and my ram is overclocked to like 1666MHZ. It's just the slot one issue. But obviously i can't use slot 3 either or i will lose dual channel right? I can live with 2 slots though, thats still enough to put 16GB ram in. I can't see me needing anymore in the lifetime of this PC.

Thanks for your help and putting my mind at ease :D 
a c 559 V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 11:29:44 AM

I don't know. If overclocking... it might not be that simple. It depends on the pin/s position (supposing they are bent) and if there are wrong contacts there. Sometimes they can create bigger issues: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1659843 and higher values for voltages add to the risk.
!