Sign in with
Your question

Help, My PSU blew up (XFX)

Last response: in Components
March 1, 2012 6:09:09 PM

I just bought my XFX 650W XXX Edition and tried it, worked fine then after a few minutes I heard a loud bang, all the power went out on one side of my house, the fuse box switched so i switched it back again, everything in the room is fine but when i turned my psu on it didnt turn on, all the sockets are fine and tested, the PSU is completely broken now and im very scared that my pc is fried, the thing is i just received this a few hours ago and the customer service team are not answering. Please help im very worried.

Thanks sam

More about : psu blew xfx

a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:26:03 PM

Had nearly the same experience last night with a burnt PSU. But it was my fault. Hopefully my mobo is not damaged. Your situation is weird. Did you connect all the wires appropriately?? What were you doing on your computer at the time of the incident?

Cheers
March 1, 2012 6:31:20 PM

I know, everything was connected correctly and fitted perfectly and i just booted up my PC and heard a loud bang then my PSU died, do you think my PC is ok? im curious because my motherboard has anti surge protection and the psu is the same.

Thanks for the reply
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 6:33:23 PM

The sound came from the case or from speakers? Did it have any smoke or burning smell? Also did you have any overclockings?
March 1, 2012 6:54:40 PM

Case definitely and from the fuse box in my house, i couldnt smell anything and i pressed "4" to unlock the core then nothing came on the screen then a few mins later the pop noise was heard. is that covered by warrenty?
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 7:04:02 PM

it should be as you did not practically cause the damage. it is very weird though. i don't want to believe that unlocking the cores has caused the problem ;/
March 1, 2012 7:12:26 PM

I am so dissapointed, i looked forward to gaming the night away after school with my new PSU, turned it on and *pop*! lights go out and PC dead, Can I RMA it? since its most definitely under warrenty?

Thanks for your help mate:) 
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 7:18:06 PM

Yeap. Contact your seller and REQUEST RMA (if you bought the piece online). Or you can just contact XFX from their website if you bought it from a store.

You are more than welcome
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 7:26:09 PM

Now what are the odds on that?!? Just dusted off my 775 xfx 780i build and put in a antec psu only to find the bios had corrupted :L

As for you try to rma what you can but if you had any good luck at all that some of the parts survived the failure. I don't buy their power supplies for a reason but your rma should be quick and easy with xfx. The only good thing about xfx is their warranty.
March 1, 2012 7:48:26 PM

What if my Mobo, cpu and all that is fried? do xfx cover that or is that a risk of pc building?
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2012 8:12:09 PM

It won't hurt to ask, the cpu and board should still be under some form of warranty them selves.
!