HTPC HDMI losing signal with static

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I built an HTPC with i5 3550K and Asrock Pro3 z77 motherboard and have a weird issue when going from one HDMI connection to another. When I start the HTPC, there are no issues; the signal comes and the TV displays properly. Now when I change the source to another HDMI port and then come back to the port in which the HTPC is connected, I lose signal and I keep getting some white noise static etc. This happens only if I switch between different HDMI ports! The signal comes back when I disconnect the device (non HTPC device in this case ROKU) from the other HDMI port. I dont think it is the HDMI ports as this doesnt happen with any other devices I connect

I have an nMediapc 2000b case if that matters. Any hhelp solutions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about htpc hdmi losing signal static
  1. Sounds like the TV is loosing the HDCP sync or your HTPC send the graphic to sleep, because not monitor is detected. Look for a firmware update for your TV.
  2. Quote:
    Sounds like the TV is loosing the HDCP sync or your HTPC send the graphic to sleep, because not monitor is detected. Look for a firmware update for your TV.

Thanks for the quick reply; would that explain the fact that the signal comes back when remove the non-htpc device. and that the signal is lost only when I cycle between inputs.

Although I say that the signal is lost, what really happens is when I cycle to htpc the second time, I get a grained white noise kind of screen with lots of static

The TV does have the latest firmware; also I didnt have this problem when I had a different computer connected earlier; that was a gigabyte MB with AMD processor. I dont know whether I am making things more confusing, but this is just driving me nuts
  3. So it seems to be on the HTPC side. Maybe energy options for the graphics? Difficult to analyze without an intel graphics though - sorry.
  4. Btw, the signal comes back on when I put the computer to sleep and turn it back on.

Thanks for your help. I dont have a discrete graphic card; just the intel integrated one. How would you manage the energy options for that. Thanks
  5. Go to Power Settings and change your plan settings to never turn off the display....
  6. Thanks; that didnt work either. I think it is something to do with hdcp compliance. every time I turn the TV off or put the computer to sleep and turn it on, the display comes back
  7. You might be right, maybe put it to sleep when you're changing hdmi configuration. That's my only idea....
  8. That might be an option but will cause issues when I am recording something; I plan to roll back the intel hd 4000 drivers to see if that will make a difference. will post the results.

i am more convinced than ever that it is a handshake problem
  9. It was bothering me so much that I ended up reinstalling the operating system. I kept checking when the prblem starts. It seems like this happens only after the intel hd 4000 driver is installed. Till then there is no issue; any ideas on what to do..
  10. It seams to be an knows problem! I was to lazy to read it all, bit there seams to be a "restart" solution somewhere down the page (search for hdcp): http://communities.intel.com/message/169503
  11. noidea_77 said:
    It seams to be an knows problem! I was to lazy to read it all, bit there seams to be a "restart" solution somewhere down the page (search for hdcp): http://communities.intel.com/message/169503

I didnt try this yet because i was having issues after i restart and then I change sources. today I used a different hdmi cable and that seems to have solved it. I dont know for how long but happy for the time being. thanks everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Connection HDMI