Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting to internet

Last response: in Networking
December 28, 2010 3:49:15 PM

Hello,
I recently bought my son a laptop and he is trying to connect to the internet through the router we have but it keeps saying we have limited access. I thought of using the WEP key code but it's not listed on the bottom of the comcast router and our computer does not work. We just have internet access and are not able to use the home computer. How can I get internet access on his laptop now?

More about : connecting internet

a c 204 D Laptop
December 28, 2010 4:17:25 PM

Let's start from the beginning, it looks like you may be using the wrong terms for things. Do you have a comcast modem or a modem/router combo or a modem with a router attached to it? Are you sure it's wireless? Can you connect the laptop with a ethernet cable and does it work that way? If you do have a wireless router and you can see it in the laptop wireless menu, you will need the key, you can't just "think" about if you want to use it or not, the wireless connection won't let you connect the laptop without it. In order to set it again, you need to connect to the router with a cable, open up its configuration page in a web browser (should be the 192.168.1.1 address for most of routers) and change the wireless settings there.
m
l
December 29, 2010 11:07:48 AM

You're right. I probably am using the wrong terms. Since you brought that to my attention I can answer a "few" questions. I have a comcast modem. It is not wireless. I dont' know if we can connect with an ethernet cable. My son is at work and I am not there to try. And I have no idea what you mean by setting it again. I'm good with the computer but as you can tell not good with terms. Thanks again for your response :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2010 11:50:03 AM

Oh, on a quick note. My son got home and IS able to connect to my daughter's "wireless" router through an ethernet cable. :)  Now what???
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
December 29, 2010 12:42:17 PM

So you have a comcast modem and that modem connect to the router? To configure the wireless connection, go to the router config page through the web browser, the address is almost always 192.168.1.1.

You'll need the manuals for your exact model for some details, but you need to logon to the router with the admin account, then go to the wireless configuration and set your network name and security settings (which is the WEP key you need to put in when your laptop connects to the router).
m
l
December 29, 2010 1:03:11 PM

Yes, the comcast modem connects to the wireless router. The only thing I don't have is the WEP key. And it is not listed on the bottom of the comcast modem. And like I mentioned earlier the home PC does not work so I can't get any information from there. Do I have to call comcast?
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
December 29, 2010 1:08:31 PM

kelly3400 said:
Yes, the comcast modem connects to the wireless router. The only thing I don't have is the WEP key. And it is not listed on the bottom of the comcast modem. And like I mentioned earlier the home PC does not work so I can't get any information from there. Do I have to call comcast?

You said you can connect the laptop with the cable, so use that connection to get to the router setup and change the WEP key. It would not be on the comcast modem, the WEP is set in the router. Once you connect to it, you can set it to whatever you want.
m
l
December 29, 2010 1:16:53 PM

Exactly how do I find the WEP key in the router? How do I connect to it? Sorry, I'm catching on slowly and you are a huge help here!!!
m
l

Best solution

a c 204 D Laptop
December 29, 2010 1:28:25 PM

You already said you were able to connect the laptop using the ethernet cable, so there is your connection. Or did you connect the laptop to the modem and not the router? Once you connect to the router, go to the web page configuration (which should be the address 192.168.1.1, just type that in the adress bar of the web broswer), and from there click on whatever looks like Wireless Setup. If you look at the manual of your router, it should give you all this info in better detail.
December 29, 2010 1:41:14 PM

The ethernet is connected to the router. I understand what you're saying now. All I have to do is hope my daughter saved the manual to the router so it can give me more details. Thank you. I'll let you know how I make out.
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
December 29, 2010 1:54:51 PM

You can always download the manual on any computer (like the one you are using now :-) ).
m
l
December 29, 2010 2:36:12 PM

SUPER!!!!!!! Will do that :) 
m
l
December 30, 2010 6:40:44 AM

Hi I think you may not be confused, if your laptop is connected through cable then just open a internet explorer , write 192.168.1.1 and enter, write in user admin and password admin ( As it is default ,if not changed), it will open configuration page of router, there click on Wireless, Secrurity and you will find the wep key and you can also changed it with new. After doing this disconnect laptop from cable and try to connect through wireless and give the wep key, hope it will solve your problem.
m
l
December 31, 2010 11:43:09 AM

It will not accept any admin user name or password so we are stuck again as usual. I really don't want to pay for a professional to come in. Well, I don't mind paying if they know what they're doing and it's not by the HOUR. Thanks for all your help :(  I'll keep trying....
m
l
January 1, 2011 12:53:36 PM

I am on here because I don't understand what I'm doing. I'm a health care worker not a computer tech. I don't understand when you say ipconfig / all please. Thank you.
m
l
January 2, 2011 12:47:43 PM

We will try that. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2011 7:48:02 AM

Best answer selected by fihart.
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:17:34 AM

I will let you know who has the best answer since I found someone to come take care of the problem this weekend. A computer tech as smart as yourselves who won't charge me $200/hour. :)  Thank you for all your help!!
m
l
January 7, 2011 10:06:17 PM

fakhry1978
m
l
!