Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC randomly stopped being able to boot

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 6, 2013 6:13:04 PM

Hi everyone,

My PCs been running fine for over a year at this point, and this morning I went to boot it up and it just immediately shuts down after I power it on. The motherboard is an X58 Sabertooth. I tried reseting the BIOS by pulling out the motherboard battery for a 10 minutes, and it's still failing. The weird thing is, it powers on, and then dies as if it loses power. Then it continues to try to launch itself over an over to no avail.

I'm confused because it's been running totally fine for well over a year, and it just randomly stopped booting. I've made no adjustments to the internals, and everything looked fine when I double checked the connections. I'm not even really sure what I'm dealing with here, could someone point me in the right direction?

More about : randomly stopped boot

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
January 7, 2013 7:11:54 AM

Hi, It might be a power supply issue. there's a test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4 . Try connecting one or two fans to the PSU molex when testing. See if the fans do spin or they start and then stop spinning.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 10:08:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion alexoiu. It actually turned out to be a bad memory stick. I eventually tried booting with each individually and discovered one was useless. It's booting fine now.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 11:40:07 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi, It might be a power supply issue. there's a test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4 . Try connecting one or two fans to the PSU molex when testing. See if the fans do spin or they start and then stop spinning.


Hi Alex, I mentioned it was a bad memory stick...or so I thought. I've seen it start to happen more and more frequently, and if swap in different memory sticks, sometimes it would start. Just today, it stopped booting all together.

I tried the PSU, the fans rean, but they seem a little slow? (one of them doesn't run at all).

I'm RMAing the PSU, but is there a possibility that this is in fact the motherboard? (would be a seriously expensive fix, I've got a first gen 1366 socket i7 and can barely find a new motherboard for less than $300...)

Does anyone have any advice?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 5:29:00 AM

More than likely the motherboard, 2nd would be psu, I'd say 80% chance it's your mobo, 20% chance it's your psu.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 100 V Motherboard
February 26, 2013 11:22:13 AM

nelsk said:
Hi Alex, I mentioned it was a bad memory stick...or so I thought. I've seen it start to happen more and more frequently, and if swap in different memory sticks, sometimes it would start. Just today, it stopped booting all together.

I tried the PSU, the fans rean, but they seem a little slow? (one of them doesn't run at all).

I'm RMAing the PSU, but is there a possibility that this is in fact the motherboard? (would be a seriously expensive fix, I've got a first gen 1366 socket i7 and can barely find a new motherboard for less than $300...)

Does anyone have any advice?



I would suggest you RMA the board and the PSU, just to be sure. Either one could have been the cause so it's best to RMA both and have them tested properly.
m
0
l
!