Intel I5-2500k 98c

jsilverstreak

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
When i run Portal 2 in windowed mode 1600x900 high settings no aa, (solid 30 fps), low settings(70fps) make no difference, the core temerature goes up to about 55-60c, when i start a map though it goes up to 85 in less than a minute and will gradually raise up to 95-98c. when i exit portal 2 the cpu temp will go down to around 60 in 30 seconds then slowly to idle temp 40c.

will it fry my cpu to continue playing portal 2 at these temperatures.
I am using the intel hd 3000 integrated graphics. would getting a discrete gpu significantly lower the cpu temperature.

I5-2500k
2x2gb 1333mhz ram
intel hd 3000 graphics
stock heatsink and fan
core temp for temperatures

Solution
Definitely too hot. Get a third-party heatsink. I think a discrete GPU would help, yes, but a heatsink would solve the temperature issue on its own. Go for a $20 Hyper TX3 or a $35 Hyper 212 EVO. I still recommend getting a discrete card if you care at all about gaming, though.

Your case airflow and/or heatsink application are probably lacking.
Definitely too hot. Get a third-party heatsink. I think a discrete GPU would help, yes, but a heatsink would solve the temperature issue on its own. Go for a $20 Hyper TX3 or a $35 Hyper 212 EVO. I still recommend getting a discrete card if you care at all about gaming, though.

Your case airflow and/or heatsink application are probably lacking.

Solution

Stop overclocking i5 2500k to 6Ghz with stock cooling :p.

Seriously now, if you havent overclock, check the heatsink. It happened to me once, the stock cooling moved (dont know how, it seemed that the cooling wasnt placed correctly from the shop) and I was getting extreme temperatures too.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Agreed,

But if he's not overclocking, and maybe he doesn't game much...

IMO the stock cooler should provide enough cooling if your not overclocking... I would try re applying thermal paste

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

I agree with this. Something with the heatsink install is amiss. Also, what are you using to report your temperatures?

jsilverstreak

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

im using coretemp, the computers warning alarm also goes off at 80c

jsilverstreak

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
thanks for your help guys
i checked the heatsink and it was caked with dust, there was a thick layer of dust on fan side, you couldnt even tell that the heatsink was blue.
i took it apart and cleaned all the dust out and now it is running under load at about 65c
and idling at 30c