Do I need a New Video Card ?

vincej

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi - I have a 6 year old Dell dimension 9150: dual Pentium D's, 4GB RAM, 500 GB disc, Radeon x600 video card.

It runs very nicely with Ubuntu 11.4 for browsing, wordprocessing etc. Then moment I want it to run Minecraft I get terrible FPS performance, 2- 3 fps. I done all the usual recommended checks ie use Sun Java 6, up the process priority. No difference. The network is fine - 15mbs download.

Minecraft is a on line multi user game and is very very heavy on video. My processor is running at 80% + , nad looking at the specs on the x600 it looks like a dog compared to what ATI offer for $100.

Question: Should I get a new video card ?? will it solve my fps problem ?

And, if so how much poweer ??

Also, the Dell specs simply state that it is PCI. However, video cards are speced as PCIE 1, 2 3 .... what do I need ..if I need a card at all that is, or is it just a waste of money and my old Dell Pentium D's will never hack it ??

MANY THANKS TO ALL !

Solution
1) You need to find out exactly what kind of an expansion slot you have available for a discrete graphics card. Pci, Pcie, and agp are all possible.
PCIE is current, and offers the most choices and will be least expensive. PCIE 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 is not an issue, they are forward and backward compatible and all perform equally well with today's cards.

2) You need to determine your power supply capability. How many watts, and, more importantly how many amps @+12v.
A Dell pre built will not have much extra capability which will limit how strong a discrete graphics card you can install.

3) Check to see how long a card your case can handle. If you have a small case, you might be limited to low profile cards.

4) I would not spend...

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
1) You need to find out exactly what kind of an expansion slot you have available for a discrete graphics card. Pci, Pcie, and agp are all possible.
PCIE is current, and offers the most choices and will be least expensive. PCIE 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 is not an issue, they are forward and backward compatible and all perform equally well with today's cards.

2) You need to determine your power supply capability. How many watts, and, more importantly how many amps @+12v.
A Dell pre built will not have much extra capability which will limit how strong a discrete graphics card you can install.

3) Check to see how long a card your case can handle. If you have a small case, you might be limited to low profile cards.

4) I would not spend much upgrading a 6 year old PC. Current sandy bridge and llano cpu's have integrated graphics which are comparable to a $50 discrete graphics card.
If you can use a $50 or stronger graphics card that is pci-e based, then such a card can be carried forward to a new build later, and might be ok now.

edit: Based on the post above, you should be able to use any pcie graphics card that does not need a 6 pin aux connector.
A 6450 should be ok, or something like a gt520.

Solution

vincej

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies so far ! In fact last week I took delivery of a new Dell XPS 8300 with a Radeon 6770, 4x i7's - I'm getting 75fps !

I don't want to throw out the old rig, it's great for my kids and 15fps would make then happy. I'm using Ubuntu only because XP pro just crashes within seconds.

So I read from farrengottu that a <$50 card will solve my problem and that the radeon 6450 will be powerful enough.

Question: Is there any point at all in getting something a little more powerfull or any I just wasting my money ?

MANY Thanks !

For gaming, the graphics card is most important. If your kids will want to play anything with fast action, you should get a good card.
Be nice to your kids, get them a strong card up front.