eddie151

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
hello all

does anyone know of a way in which i can use my desktop graphics card remotely in order to game on my laptop?

thanks in advance

a graphics card sole purpose is to connect a computer to a display device.

I think you are trying to remotely login to your desktop (it will use you NIC) to play games.

try logmein.com; however, the refresh rate of a remote connection is slow.

sturm

Splendid
I tried on a gigabit connection and you could see the refresh lines going down the screen.
It might work on some lower end graphic games but I don't see it working on any FPS games, especially over the internet.

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I'm wrestling with a similar problem today, and a solution on the Internet hasn't been forthcoming yet...

I installed logmein today and am able to access the remote computer with no problem. When you lauch a game (WoW) the screen goes black, however.

Logmein's FAQ says - The video playback is only supported if the clip goes through the Windows display driver. If the playback is using the so-called video overlay technique, where the image/video is produced and displayed directly by your video card, then it cannot be captured. This also happens often with 3D games as well.

Bump - for some new ideas.

nightshade616

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
To be perfectly honest, there is no chance of this happening smoothly with a High graphics demanding game. And not a chance in hell that it will work with online gaming

Sure it may 'Work' but it certainly wont be playable.

Even on a Gig or two broadband your going to be loosing alot of refresh time then you have to take your Ping into account, say you had a ping of 80 which is perfect for gaming, Remote viewing/controlling would probably slow you so much it would be so un playable!

Low resolutions on the game settings may help, Turning Vsync off and MSAA, Texture samples down Low and water effects. Optional things like tree's and crowds turned will help too. But really itll still lag Beyond my tolerance anyway.

If you do some how manage to do this smoothly and still get a nice 60 Fp/s Then do please Tell me I'm wrong and let me know how you did it!

T3 internet speeds could probably handle it if you had it on both ends...

nightshade616

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Making use of AMIMON's Wireless Home Digital Interface (WHDI), the peculiar-looking stock-clocked card is able to wirelessly stream uncompressed 1080p 60Hz video to a display up to 100ft away.

Sure if your gaming in the same building then thats great, It is a step forward However so good find dadiggle!
If you had alot of money spare you could use a relay and boost the signal but that just means finding places to put them and keep them safe ... And we all know thats not possible :lol:

Here is an alernative ! Very very pricey though!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/08/nvidia-pursuing-external-graphics-accelerators-for-laptops/

Externals GPU's look like the way forward more than wireless graphics.

hurlinggreen

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Im running server 2008 R2 with hyper-v... i was able to get what ur lookin for done after 3 days of playing around with an operating system i'd never touched b4. I used hyper-v manager to create a virtual-pc and RDP 7.1 to remote into it. with sp1 for both server 2008 and windows 7, they added a feature called "RemoteFX" which uses your server/desktops video card to stream full 3d and high definition video thru a remote desktop connection. have only tested this setup on a local network, not from the internet, but was playing portal 2 on high settings at a pretty solid framerate using this method on a laptop that was built b4 windows vista even came out lol... this same method can also be done using hyper-v manager in windows 7 sp1 not just on a server. hope this was helpful. email hurlinggreen1990@aim.com if u have any ?s

hurlinggreen

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

first and foremost, this guy is trying to get this done without having to upgrade his hardware. most if not all external graphics cards run off mobile pci-e or some usb3 so even if he did buy an external graphics card, he'd still prolly have to get a new laptop in order to use it... im not sure how fast it would be over the internet, but ive done this locally without having to spend any $ in the process. all i have to say is use a remote desktop connection to a virtual-pc running remotefx. works like a charm

hurlinggreen

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

wow none of you on this forum have done the research. im by no means a novice, but have little to no experience with server editions of windows. that bein said... im running portal 2 on high @60+ fps on a laptop that barely runs windows 7 and came out b4 vista was even around. didnt have to have an outrageously fast connection either. my desktop has a 100mbs connection and the laptop is wireless g(54mbs). 1 word RemoteFX. works beautifully

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Have you tried any other games using this method? Encountered any significant problems?

I got a hold of Server 2008 R2 through a school program but realized that my CPU isn't compatible with RemoteFX. I'm contemplating upgrading for this and other reasons but I wanted to make sure I could expect it to work well with my other games (The Witcher 2, Crysis, Left 4 Dead 2, and others).

Thanks in advance.