Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I have the following specs

3.2ghz phenom ii 840 quad
asus 560ti
antec neo eco 520c
asrock 880g-le
4gb kingston ram

When i play counter strike source, i often get over 100 FPS but i also get very close to 60 FPS at times. Lowering the graphics barely helps in this regard. For such an old game i expected this to run flawlessly. Any ideas?

Solution

Right click on CSS in Source, then go to Local Files and have it Verify the cache. Might fix that issue.

As for that fixing the performance, as I said before nVidia cards tend to get performance drops with some patches. Have seen people with GTX580s getting less FPS than my HD5870 which is not as powerful.
The Source engine is very finicky. With my HD5870, I am almost always at the 300FPS cap in the benchmarks and normally very high in TF2, HL2, CSS etc.

But you could have a setup that it doesn't like as much. And honestly I do notice that nVidia GPUs tend to get performance drops from updates more often than ATI GPUs.

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
1gb ram on the 560ti. It doesn't affect my gaming was just concerned there was an underlying problem, thanks for the help. Whenever i quit source i get greeted with a message saying the source engine is not working shut it down blah blah so maybe it is software related.

Right click on CSS in Source, then go to Local Files and have it Verify the cache. Might fix that issue.

As for that fixing the performance, as I said before nVidia cards tend to get performance drops with some patches. Have seen people with GTX580s getting less FPS than my HD5870 which is not as powerful.

Solution

mkristian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
wow just verified the game cache and de fragmented and now not getting anything under 100 and usually no less than 120. Only just installed windows 7 on this computer so didnt think it would have much effect. I also disabled windows aero in the graphics settings (not quite sure what that is) so they may of also helped.

And i can definitely feel a difference. Although people will say there is no difference is response from 60fps to anything above it, I definitely feel there is. Thanks everyone

e56imfg

Distinguished

Windows Aero = more VRAM usage.

Now the mod can close the thread :)