Memory issues Dell laptop

onefeather

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
ATTN: YOUNGSTER please help. new to tom's. lost the person who was helping me. i upgraded my memory from 1 gb to 2 gb in back of dell d620 and dos came up to verify memory change. it also came up with a failed test
"dst short test (failed)". but i have no problems with laptop. the only problem i have ever had was a message that read "out of memory line 48" and virtual memory low" thats it. and i run my computer really hard bouncing in and out of everything online, fairly quick. i rebooted and hit f-12 and ran check again same failed test. oh yeah, it showed 2.9 gb ram. p.s. i am back in windows. i guess it took the memory upgrade?
PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT I SHOULD DO AND WHAT MY ISSUES ARE. NOT VERY COMPUTER LITERATE. THANKS VERY, VERY MUCH.
NOTE: I LOST THE PERSON THAT WAS HELPING ME. HOW DO I STAY ON TOP OF ANSWERS?

In the right column of this page, at the top, is a box that has three tabs. Profile, threads, and messages. While in the threads tab, click on the "see all" button at the bottom of the box. This will take you to a page where you can see any thread you have participated in.

The specs of your system are here
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2846

I will change the title of this thread to be more appropriate.

onefeather

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
HELLO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I AM RUNNING XP

BUT NO ERROR CODE 7 OR ANY OTHERS. THE ONLY ONE I EVER GET IS (LOW VIRTUAL MEMORY AND A NO MEMORY ON LINE 48 WHEN I AM VISITING YOUTUBE. THATS IT. THANKS JACOB

There may be several things going on. How much free hard drive space do you have?

The reason you have 2.9GB of memory is probably because you are running XP 32-bit. You most likely have 4GB installed, the max for your motherboard, but XP can only use that much of it ... I can explain why but it's fairly technical. Lets just say there is nothing wrong with 2.9GB and leave it at that.

"DST" short test stands for "Drive Short Test", which means your hard drive has failed or is failing as reported by the SMART chip info.

What this means is that your hard drive is close to dieing means you won't be able to get any data off of it or use it to load Windows, etc.
It means, it is time to replace the hard drive. Useing it is risky at this point if you store anything on it.

That does seem like a possibility. It would explain the "virtual memory low" error as well.

Replacing the HDD might be a bit too technical for this user though, and would require a fresh OS install that he doesn't have available.

Any inexpensive modern laptop would be a big upgrade.

If that's out of the question, it would probably cost at least $150 to get it replaced by someone. (parts and labor)