Graphics Replacement or New System?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Graphics
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2011 9:21:32 PM

Cross-linked to my Graphics Card Replacement Request: Here

So I have a circa 2007 Dell Dimension E521 that has managed to hit a wall graphics-wise in my quest to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's basically unplayable at any enjoyable resolution (read: above 1024) and it's either time to replace the card or replace the system. If the card can be successfully upgraded, please let me know at the other thread. If not, below is what I'd be looking for in a new system if I have to scrap it. I can also go pre-built or homebuilt. Thanks in advance!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today so I can take advantage of Cyber Monday!
BUDGET RANGE: Approximately $350 to $400 After Everything
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Moderate levels for most games, SW:TOR especially)
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Radeon X1300/X1550 w/1Gb
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Athalon 64 x2 4400+ ~2.3Ghz, 2GB RAM
PARTS NOT NEEDED: Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, OS
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: New Egg or Tiger Direct
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: None
OVERCLOCKING: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: None

More about : graphics replacement system

November 28, 2011 9:53:10 PM

Build a new system. While it would save you some money by just replacing the GPU in your current desktop, the rest of the computer components will not do your new GPU justice (assuming you plan on buying a mid range GPU).

My old computer had an AMD Phenom 8450 Triple Core 2.3GHz processor at 4GB of RAM, and that was very slow for me, once I started to video edit and get into gaming. By building a new system, you will be able to say you built it yourself, not some manufacturer, and you will have done so at a cheaper price as well.
m
l

Best solution

November 28, 2011 10:00:13 PM

I suspect that the graphics card is your primary limiting factor.

It would make sense to me to try just a graphics card upgrade first, and see how you do.

If your psu does not have a 6 pin pci-e power lead, you will be limited to a card that can be entirely powered by the motherboard slot.

That card could be as good as a 6670. That should be a nice jump in power over your X1550

If you decide you want to upgrade the cpu, now or later, you can still reuse the graphics card.
December 1, 2011 10:34:56 PM

Best answer selected by Rotorhead.
m
l
Related resources
!