5870's Crossfire Battlefield3 poor performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi all new to the forums. I just started the battlefield 3 beta and am having poor performance from my 5870's crossfire. Actually i get the same performance with crossfire on or off. I downloaded the 11.10 battlefield 3 beta drivers and when i look at gpu usage it says only 30-40% on the second gpu. My temps are good but on ultra i get only 20-40 fps at 1080p. I have a 965 Black addition and 4 gigs of ddr3. Everything is left at stock except my vapor-x's which are at 900/1350. It makes no difference if my crossfire is on or off, and sometimes i will play and the game will stay at like 70-80 fps for a while and then just drops to 20 fps. I have watched my ram usage and it never jumps past 3.4gigs so im not really sure what is going on. I know that this game is hard to run but i should get more than 20-30 fps. I also have turned the settings all the way to low and restarted the game with my cards only running 20-60fps. This is the first game i have not been able to crank up. I hope its just a driver issue :(
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Mightmaxio, I highly doubt his Phenom 965 is bottlenecking. If I run my GTX570 either single cards or SLI, the beta plays beautifully and I am only running a Phenom 945 with stock speeds.

Mightymaxio is correct regarding graphical settings for Battlefield 3. Ultra is locked regardless of whether or not you have it enabled. The "Ultra" in beta is just high settings. The "Ultra" won't be available until the finished game is released.

Reaver, did you perform driver sweep on your machine, making sure all the old Catalyst drivers are gone including whats buried in the registry?

TheLordPhantom

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
I have been attempting to play Battlefield 3 myself, although, I am running it on a laptop with a single 5650 lol. From what I understand, 1) the beta does not have any settings beyond low. I believe, no matter what you set it to, graphically it will be the same. Now I could be wrong, I play everything low or off because my computer is rather on the low end (for BF3). That is what I heard on the Battlelog forum. 2) Keep in mind that it is a beta. An old beta actually, it is a month old or so. I have heard that the alpha may have been a more recent build that the open beta. The beta is primarily a server/Battlelog/Origin stress test, from what I understand. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, a lot of features have yet to be enabled that will be enabled for the retail version. Also, have you posted your problem on Battlelog? There is a good chance that somebody there knows of a specific Crossfire bug or something. Hope this helps.

In conclusion, BF3 is going to be awesome :D

Ankor77

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I have crossfire 5870s as well and got great performance at 1080p for the hour or so I played on a mix of ultra and high gfx settings. My other specs are intel i7 960 at stock and 12 gigs ram. I am using the newest official drivers, not the beta drivers.

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Thank you. Were you running fraps or did you just have smooth gameplay? It may also be that my processor is considerably slower than your 960, or that you have 12 gigs of RAM. I was running 11.8 catalyst before I tried the test drivers from ATI. First try I was getting 70+ fps but shortly after it was very slow. Thank you for your help

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Not true, how BF3 runs in the Beta is how the final game will run. All the settings look the same to me except ultra.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

You must be high lol. Any games beta is going to look worse than the finished product. Dont believe me look at BF3 Alpha vs. Beta comparisons. When the finished polished game comes out they will unlock the ultra settings, right now BF3 is locked at high even if you put it on ultra, dont believe me read the BF3 battlelog forums.

steatharsenal1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Mightmaxio, I highly doubt his Phenom 965 is bottlenecking. If I run my GTX570 either single cards or SLI, the beta plays beautifully and I am only running a Phenom 945 with stock speeds.

Mightymaxio is correct regarding graphical settings for Battlefield 3. Ultra is locked regardless of whether or not you have it enabled. The "Ultra" in beta is just high settings. The "Ultra" won't be available until the finished game is released.

Reaver, did you perform driver sweep on your machine, making sure all the old Catalyst drivers are gone including whats buried in the registry?

Solution

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Anyone you suggest? Or is it just called driver sweeper. Also I downloaded the beta driver and now that I think about it I didn't see a separate crossfire profile. I will unistall drivers tonight run a sweepstakes and see what happens. Thank you for the responses.

halide69

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Just to confirm, you are only using a single monitor setup? I am using crossfire 5870's and had similar low frame rates until I turned off my second monitor. For some reason the game was trying to use the 2nd monitor in eye infinity. My frame rates are now 80fps on medium settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.