Why wont my new radeon 6770 hd graphics card work with 600 watt psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_StoleYourBacon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hey im in a real pickle right now :( , yesterday i drove all the way down to the biggest place to get electronics in the state and bought a radeon 6770 hd graphics card and a 600 watt psu, after finaly hooking everything back up again turned on the power and nothing happens, the monitor stays blank and the fans run but it doesnt boot up, if tryed turning on and off the inboard graphics but it doesnt do anything except mess up my display settings, when i take out the graphics card though everything runs fine which is why im asking you this question. im thinking that its probably the psu but the guy at the store said 600 watts would be enough?
i realy need this graphics card to work and i can take the psu or the graphics card back to the store. what should i do?

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
600w should easily be enough, in my opinion its the gpu, but take both back if you can and get replacements, one thing you could try is using your new psu hook up to the integrated graphics after taking out the 6770 if this works its definitely the gpu

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I'm not assuming you're new or anything... but the first time my friend did this he forgot that he had to plug the monitors cables into the graphic card and not the onboard graphics on the back panel of the computer.

If thats not the case then make sure everything from the power supply is plugged in, 600 watts is more than enough.

you need 2 cords from power supply into the motherboard
1 cord (6pin) into the graphic card - dont forget this one
1 cord (sata) into each hard drive and cd drive
1 cord (4 pin molex) into each fan unless the fan goes into your mobo

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I really think he may have plugged the monitor into the motherboards back panel and not the 6770 , my friend did the same thing he was so sad when I told him haha

Because in his description he says turning off onboard graphics screws things up... which would only happen if it was plugged in there.

You never need to turn off onboard graphics btw OP you just plug in graphic card that's it

I_StoleYourBacon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
sorry but none of your answers are right because ive tried all them, sorry it took me a while to reply but anyways, yes i plugged the monitor into the graphics card, it isnt that its this wierd thing where when everythings pluged in the fans all run on high (like they do when i start it up) but it wont actualy boot up, it just sits there, nothing working except the fans, then i turn it off and pull out the 6 pin connector from the power supply to the graphics card and boot it up everything runs fine. im stumped. my stepdad said that it might be my motherboard cuz he had to upgrade his when he got a new graphics card but i dont trust him with computers that much, any other ideas?

millmuff

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I've been dealing with a very similar issue posted in another thread. In my case I'm dealing with a PNY Geforce GTX 560 ti and a 700w OCZ psu.

Initially I hooked up the card and PSU and things ran fine for the first night. The next morning my pc was shut down and I couldn't boot up, nothing would happen. It was mimicking the condition you mentioned. I was told by all accounts that it was my psu, but after getting a replacement the condition was the exact same. I'm currently waiting on a new card to come in as PNY confirmed everything else should be hooked up fine and they couldn't explain the situation. Just because the fans on your card are working doesn't mean that it isn't DOA.

If you've doubled checked your installation I'd definitely take both back just to be safe. Mos't places shouldn't have an issue with replacing both pieces of hardware.

I_StoleYourBacon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
well thanks for the help anyways.
ive taken both back and now im just gonna buy a ps3 instead, i just wanted somthing that was gonna play games, and if i knew it was gonna be that hard and wierd i would have gotten a ps3 in the first place! anyways thanks for your help (anyone else cant wait for skyrim?)

basilryan1234

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
hey if its a hd as in hdcp you have to shut off onboard grafics and set the pc up for hd sound,hd video or what ever to do that wipe the hard drive install a fresh copy of win 7 ultmate 64 or 86 bit your choice then install your card and it should work

Status
Not open for further replies.