Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Can BT headsets be paired to multiple devices?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
May 25, 2005 1:35:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

For instance, if one has two BT phones, and wishes to use the same BT
headset with both of them. (Of course, not at the same time!) Can the
headset be paired to both, or would one have to re-pair every time one
changed between phones?

Or have it paired to a phone and a computer?

How have people used their BT headset with the computer (with BT dongle, or
course)? Will all the audio from the computer be routed to the BT headset,
both playback and recording? Could one make a VOIP call with the computer,
and use the BT headset for the call?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

MS wrote:
> For instance, if one has two BT phones, and wishes to use the same BT
> headset with both of them. (Of course, not at the same time!) Can the
> headset be paired to both, or would one have to re-pair every time one
> changed between phones?
>
> Or have it paired to a phone and a computer?
>
> How have people used their BT headset with the computer (with BT dongle, or
> course)? Will all the audio from the computer be routed to the BT headset,
> both playback and recording? Could one make a VOIP call with the computer,
> and use the BT headset for the call?
>
>

Hi, MS

I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
which phone should it be connecting to??

My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC. Whenever
I need it working with another device, I have to pair it anew with it -
but I can live with that.

As soon as the BT Headset is paired AND CONNECTED to the computer, the
Bluetooth Audio device is set as the main audio device in the audio
mapper of my PC (with WIDCOMM-Drivers, I don't know about Microsoft
Bluetooth drivers). Every new program run or configured then uses the
Bluetooth audio device as audio Input/Output.
With Skype (that's what I use to make VOIP phonecalls) I can set up
which audio device to use by default, so I don't have to restart Skype
upon connecting the headset.

This has the nice effect that when Winamp is running before connecting
to the BT Headset, the music keeps coming out "over the wire", Skype
however uses the Bluetooth Audio device at the same time...


HTH
Gottfried
May 25, 2005 12:51:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
news:4294208b$0$298$4d4ef98e@news.ch.uu.net...
> Hi, MS
>
> I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
> multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
> obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
> press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
> which phone should it be connecting to??
>
> My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
> just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.

Hello Gottfried,

I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT cell
phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both turned
on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)

But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell phone
and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between using it
with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
multiple devices.

Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset with
a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be paired
to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that case re
voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in its
headset jack would not support voice dialing.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:27:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

the Jabra BT-800 can pair with up to 4 devices. Unfortunately, the fact
that you don't have to pair makes transitioning from one device to
another only microscopically less involved. For me, I have to turn off
bluetooth on one of the phones and then pick up the other phone and
tell it to connect to the headset. It works, but certainly not
seamlessly.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

MS wrote:
> "Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
> news:4294208b$0$298$4d4ef98e@news.ch.uu.net...
>
>>Hi, MS
>>
>>I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
>>multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
>>obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
>>press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
>>which phone should it be connecting to??
>>
>>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
>>just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
>
>
> Hello Gottfried,
>
> I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT cell
> phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
> powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both turned
> on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)
>
> But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell phone
> and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between using it
> with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
> multiple devices.
>
> Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
> getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset with
> a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be paired
> to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
> time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that case re
> voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in its
> headset jack would not support voice dialing.
>
>
Hi, MS

You have not quoted my whole original:

>>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it
>>works just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
>>Whenever I need it working with another device, I have to pair it
anew >>with it - but I can live with that.

As far as I know, you CANNOT (=IMPOSSIBLE) connect a Headset to two
devices at the same time, you will HAVE TO pair the devices every time
you want to switch. (EVERY TIME!)

I hope this information was clear, please excuse my "shouting".

HTH
Gottfried
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

artemidorus wrote:
> the Jabra BT-800 can pair with up to 4 devices. Unfortunately, the fact
> that you don't have to pair makes transitioning from one device to
> another only microscopically less involved. For me, I have to turn off
> bluetooth on one of the phones and then pick up the other phone and
> tell it to connect to the headset. It works, but certainly not
> seamlessly.
>

Hi artemidorus,
WOW! That's what I call a killer headset! - I just googled for the BT800
and I like it already. It's a bit expensive and looks quite big but the
features seem to be superb. I have read that you can pair it with
multiple devices and that you can select the active device in the
headset's menu.

Thanks for your input - will have to consider buying one of these...

Gottfried
May 27, 2005 2:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
news:4295d9e4$0$307$4d4ef98e@news.ch.uu.net...
> MS wrote:
> > "Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
> > news:4294208b$0$298$4d4ef98e@news.ch.uu.net...
> >
> >>Hi, MS
> >>
> >>I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
> >>multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
> >>obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
> >>press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
> >>which phone should it be connecting to??
> >>
> >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
> >>just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
> >
> >
> > Hello Gottfried,
> >
> > I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT
cell
> > phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
> > powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both
turned
> > on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)
> >
> > But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell
phone
> > and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between
using it
> > with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
> > multiple devices.
> >
> > Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
> > getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset
with
> > a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be
paired
> > to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
> > time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that
case re
> > voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in
its
> > headset jack would not support voice dialing.
> >
> >
> Hi, MS
>
> You have not quoted my whole original:
>
> >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it
> >>works just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
> >>Whenever I need it working with another device, I have to pair it
> anew >>with it - but I can live with that.
>
> As far as I know, you CANNOT (=IMPOSSIBLE) connect a Headset to two
> devices at the same time, you will HAVE TO pair the devices every time
> you want to switch. (EVERY TIME!)
>
> I hope this information was clear, please excuse my "shouting".
>
> HTH
> Gottfried

There is no need for SHOUTING!

Your language above gives me the following impression--that your HBH-60 is
paired to both your V800 and your laptop. When you wish to use it with
another device (i.e., other than those two), you have to pair it anew.
According to that impression, if your headset is paired to both your phone
and laptop, it IS faired to more than one device. (Which doesn't mean it is
connected simultaneously to more than one device.)

But I could have misread you, that you have to re-pair every time you switch
between phone or laptop. Your paragraph (yes, the "whole original"),
however, certainly sounds like it might mean that your headset is paired
with both devices.

As you can see from other's responses, your statement that one
CANNOT(=IMPOSSIBLE) shouting statement about "a headset" is simply not true.
It might be true about your ("outdated") headset, that doesn't mean it is
true for all headsets.
December 28, 2012 10:28:49 PM

One of the replies said that they could turn off Bluetooth on one device and then reconnect on the other device and that works - much simpler than repairing every time. Whatever device the Bluetooth was connected to last time it was on is the one it looks for first.

I use Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo Earphones with Mic with my iPhone all the time and paired it with my iPad last week to listed to a Crackle video. The next morning I selected the PS210 from the list under Bluetooth in settings and it reconnected.

I just tried it again. To disconnect I had to turn off either the Bluetooth or the device and to connect I had to select the device from the list under Bluetooth settings.

Hope that this helps someone - would be nice to have an App that lets me switch from one to the other.
January 12, 2013 1:47:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!