Closed

Can BT headsets be paired to multiple devices?

For instance, if one has two BT phones, and wishes to use the same BT
headset with both of them. (Of course, not at the same time!) Can the
headset be paired to both, or would one have to re-pair every time one
changed between phones?

Or have it paired to a phone and a computer?

How have people used their BT headset with the computer (with BT dongle, or
course)? Will all the audio from the computer be routed to the BT headset,
both playback and recording? Could one make a VOIP call with the computer,
and use the BT headset for the call?
8 answers Last reply
More about headsets paired multiple devices

    MS wrote:
    > For instance, if one has two BT phones, and wishes to use the same BT
    > headset with both of them. (Of course, not at the same time!) Can the
    > headset be paired to both, or would one have to re-pair every time one
    > changed between phones?
    >
    > Or have it paired to a phone and a computer?
    >
    > How have people used their BT headset with the computer (with BT dongle, or
    > course)? Will all the audio from the computer be routed to the BT headset,
    > both playback and recording? Could one make a VOIP call with the computer,
    > and use the BT headset for the call?

    Hi, MS

    I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
    multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
    obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
    press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
    which phone should it be connecting to??

    My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
    just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC. Whenever
    I need it working with another device, I have to pair it anew with it -
    but I can live with that.

    As soon as the BT Headset is paired AND CONNECTED to the computer, the
    Bluetooth Audio device is set as the main audio device in the audio
    mapper of my PC (with WIDCOMM-Drivers, I don't know about Microsoft
    Bluetooth drivers). Every new program run or configured then uses the
    Bluetooth audio device as audio Input/Output.
    With Skype (that's what I use to make VOIP phonecalls) I can set up
    which audio device to use by default, so I don't have to restart Skype
    upon connecting the headset.

    This has the nice effect that when Winamp is running before connecting
    to the BT Headset, the music keeps coming out "over the wire", Skype
    however uses the Bluetooth Audio device at the same time...

    HTH
    Gottfried

    "Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
    > Hi, MS
    >
    > I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
    > multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
    > obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
    > press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
    > which phone should it be connecting to??
    >
    > My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
    > just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.

    Hello Gottfried,

    I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT cell
    phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
    powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both turned
    on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)

    But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell phone
    and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between using it
    with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
    multiple devices.

    Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
    getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset with
    a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be paired
    to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
    time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that case re
    voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in its
    headset jack would not support voice dialing.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    the Jabra BT-800 can pair with up to 4 devices. Unfortunately, the fact
    that you don't have to pair makes transitioning from one device to
    another only microscopically less involved. For me, I have to turn off
    bluetooth on one of the phones and then pick up the other phone and
    tell it to connect to the headset. It works, but certainly not
    seamlessly.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    MS wrote:
    > "Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, MS
    >>
    >>I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
    >>multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
    >>obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
    >>press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
    >>which phone should it be connecting to??
    >>
    >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
    >>just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
    >

    > Hello Gottfried,
    >
    > I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT cell
    > phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
    > powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both turned
    > on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)
    >
    > But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell phone
    > and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between using it
    > with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
    > multiple devices.
    >
    > Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
    > getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset with
    > a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be paired
    > to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
    > time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that case re
    > voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in its
    > headset jack would not support voice dialing.

    Hi, MS

    You have not quoted my whole original:

    >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it
    >>works just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
    >>Whenever I need it working with another device, I have to pair it
    anew >>with it - but I can live with that.

    As far as I know, you CANNOT (=IMPOSSIBLE) connect a Headset to two
    devices at the same time, you will HAVE TO pair the devices every time
    you want to switch. (EVERY TIME!)

    I hope this information was clear, please excuse my "shouting".

    HTH
    Gottfried
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    artemidorus wrote:
    > the Jabra BT-800 can pair with up to 4 devices. Unfortunately, the fact
    > that you don't have to pair makes transitioning from one device to
    > another only microscopically less involved. For me, I have to turn off
    > bluetooth on one of the phones and then pick up the other phone and
    > tell it to connect to the headset. It works, but certainly not
    > seamlessly.

    Hi artemidorus,
    WOW! That's what I call a killer headset! - I just googled for the BT800
    and I like it already. It's a bit expensive and looks quite big but the
    features seem to be superb. I have read that you can pair it with
    multiple devices and that you can select the active device in the
    headset's menu.

    Thanks for your input - will have to consider buying one of these...

    Gottfried
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > MS wrote:
    > > "Gottfried Mayer" <ngs@NOOfusedSPAAAM.ch> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi, MS
    > >>
    > >>I do not know of any BT Headset that allows you to pair itself to
    > >>multiple devices. My assumption is that the headset wouldn't know who to
    > >>obey if for example both "masters" ring at the same time. Plus when you
    > >>press the button on the headset it usually allows you to voice-dial -
    > >>which phone should it be connecting to??
    > >>
    > >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it works
    > >>just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
    > >

    > > Hello Gottfried,
    > >
    > > I understand your point about the problem that could occur if two BT
    cell
    > > phones were paired to the same headset. (If one did not have both phones
    > > powered on at the same time though, or not have the BT radios of both
    turned
    > > on at the same time, that could solve that problem.)
    > >
    > > But you write that your headset is paired to two devices---your cell
    phone
    > > and your computer. You don't have to re-pair when switching between
    using it
    > > with the phone and with the computer, do you? If not, it is paired to
    > > multiple devices.
    > >
    > > Besides perhaps using it some time with the computer, I was thinking of
    > > getting one of those BT adapters (for non BT phones) to use the headset
    with
    > > a landline cordless phone. Wondering though, if the headset could be
    paired
    > > to that and my cell phone simultaneously, without having to re-pair each
    > > time the usage is switched. There would not be the confusion in that
    case re
    > > voice dialing, because the landline cordless phone with BT adapter in
    its
    > > headset jack would not support voice dialing.
    > >

    > Hi, MS
    >
    > You have not quoted my whole original:
    >
    > >>My SonyEricsson HBH-60 is a bit outdated by now but nonetheless it
    > >>works just fine with my SonyEricsson V800 (z800i) and my Laptop / PC.
    > >>Whenever I need it working with another device, I have to pair it
    > anew >>with it - but I can live with that.
    >
    > As far as I know, you CANNOT (=IMPOSSIBLE) connect a Headset to two
    > devices at the same time, you will HAVE TO pair the devices every time
    > you want to switch. (EVERY TIME!)
    >
    > I hope this information was clear, please excuse my "shouting".
    >
    > HTH
    > Gottfried

    There is no need for SHOUTING!

    Your language above gives me the following impression--that your HBH-60 is
    paired to both your V800 and your laptop. When you wish to use it with
    another device (i.e., other than those two), you have to pair it anew.
    According to that impression, if your headset is paired to both your phone
    and laptop, it IS faired to more than one device. (Which doesn't mean it is
    connected simultaneously to more than one device.)

    But I could have misread you, that you have to re-pair every time you switch
    between phone or laptop. Your paragraph (yes, the "whole original"),
    however, certainly sounds like it might mean that your headset is paired
    with both devices.

    As you can see from other's responses, your statement that one
    CANNOT(=IMPOSSIBLE) shouting statement about "a headset" is simply not true.
    It might be true about your ("outdated") headset, that doesn't mean it is
    true for all headsets.
  7. One of the replies said that they could turn off Bluetooth on one device and then reconnect on the other device and that works - much simpler than repairing every time. Whatever device the Bluetooth was connected to last time it was on is the one it looks for first.

    I use Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo Earphones with Mic with my iPhone all the time and paired it with my iPad last week to listed to a Crackle video. The next morning I selected the PS210 from the list under Bluetooth in settings and it reconnected.

    I just tried it again. To disconnect I had to turn off either the Bluetooth or the device and to connect I had to select the device from the list under Bluetooth settings.

    Hope that this helps someone - would be nice to have an App that lets me switch from one to the other.
  8. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Bluetooth Gaming Headsets Computers Phones