Sign in with
Your question

Parts Upgrading Question

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2011 11:34:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I will be upgrading my mobo, cpu, and ram later this week. I will be keeping my 2 hard drives, (1 OS drive, 1 storage drive) and everything else.

When I first power up my machine with the new hardware, do I need to reinstall windows 7 fresh on my 1st drive, or is there a way to just boot up with the windows 7 cd?

I am asking because I'm not sure if I can just keep everything the way that it is or if I need to back everything up now and get ready to do a clean install.

Thank you.
November 28, 2011 11:43:08 PM

I would back up your data (profile, Favorites, etcs.) first, then boot up w/your Win7 DVD and install a fresh install of Win7. It's a much better way of instaslling Win& even though some will say you can/should do the upgrade. I've been in PC IT for over 25 years and have always found a fresh install to be the best. You will have a much more stable system than you would with an upgrade.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 6:30:35 AM

Yes. Fresh install is the best option for such cases.
m
l
November 29, 2011 4:59:32 PM

netyoda said:
I would back up your data (profile, Favorites, etcs.) first, then boot up w/your Win7 DVD and install a fresh install of Win7. It's a much better way of instaslling Win& even though some will say you can/should do the upgrade. I've been in PC IT for over 25 years and have always found a fresh install to be the best. You will have a much more stable system than you would with an upgrade.

Well I wouldn't be doing an upgrade. What I was asking if there is a way I can boot right to the existing OS that is already on the HD? Like can I use the win7 cd as a boot up disk?
m
l
!