Need help putting together a complete $600-$830 budget gaming rig

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Christmas or in early January.

Budget Range: $600-830$ Before Rebates; would perfer something in the 700 dollar range; with all dedicated cards for wireless and sound and such.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, short Internet searches for games.

Parts Not Required: All parts are aquired from Newegg.com

Parts Preferences: A Mid-end gaming desktop mid-tower case , with ASUS Mobo and AMD CPU and ATI GPU, Corsaire Dominator's or an equivalent type or greater with at least 6Gb of Ram with Windows 7 Home premium and a good sized monitor with the below Res. Among other things. will remain open for all quality brand types for all parts but the CPU and GPU.

Overclocking: no (but I would like to know more about this)

Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm not sure it can be done with Asus. I really recommend the 990FX chipset with AMD builds because it's the latest and greatest - and everything else AMD makes (from 6xx to 8xx) is incredibly outdated and at least 2 generations behind the Intel Sandy Bridge equivalent. The only Asus motherboard I would recommend is the Sabertooth 990FX and that's almost $200. If you want to try a less expensive brand go with Asrock or Gigabyte. I just bought a Gigabyte AMD board - I really like the UD3 I use at work so this one should be good.

Try this:

Case: Antec 300 - $59.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX600 - $69.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX - $189.99
CPU: 2.8GHz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - $149.99
Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 - $25.99
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 1.5V - $51.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM 500GB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On 24X DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $144.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK320 - $39.99
Monitor: Hanns G HZ201DPB - $79.99

Total: $1020.99

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hm. I'm impressed with this build. But the price is a little too much, is there another configuration with as good components for gaming as possible but cheaper?

This is the whole thing except for the Arctic silver 5 CPU paste and a dedicated sound card; i think its the Asus Xonar; it's 30 bucks. Plus I have a t.v. set that I think I can hook the build up to, i'm not sure though. There are two HDMI ports in the back and plug-in holes labled as COMP and an input setting that also says COMP that I have my Xbox 360 hooked-up to for max HD; 1080"p". I guess it can dual as a monitor too? (the t.v. is a Vizio if that helps any) or should I buy a monitor within budget range?

Also, are the bulldozers from AMD good for gaming? and is a Phenom II x4 in the 3 Gzh range + better than a Phenom II x6? how will they fare in the future. Many questions but for good reason. Haha.

g-unit1111

Titan
Hm. I'm impressed with this build. But the price is a little too much, is there another configuration with as good components for gaming as possible but cheaper?

If you don't need a monitor, you can drop that. Maybe substitute the Gigabyte board I recommended in my last post and that would cut the price to about $850 - $875.

This is the whole thing except for the Arctic silver 5 CPU paste and a dedicated sound card; i think its the Asus Xonar; it's 30 bucks. Plus I have a t.v. set that I think I can hook the build up to, i'm not sure though. There are two HDMI ports in the back and plug-in holes labled as COMP and an input setting that also says COMP that I have my Xbox 360 hooked-up to for max HD; 1080"p". I guess it can dual as a monitor too? (the t.v. is a Vizio if that helps any) or should I buy a monitor within budget range

You do not need a dedicated sound card - they're pretty worthless anymore. The built in audio on your motherboard will work just fine. If you're already hooking up to a sound system all you need is a two prong black/red cable to auxiliary which you can buy at any Radio Shack. The only area where good thermal paste is going to come in handy is when you're doing some serious overclocking.

As for monitors - anything that has an HDMI port you can hook up a computer monitor to. I use my 42" Vizio as a computer monitor - it works great! :lol: The video card I listed has a dedicated HDMI port so you don't need anything other than an HDMI - HDMI cable.

Also, are the bulldozers from AMD good for gaming? and is a Phenom II x4 in the 3 Gzh range + better than a Phenom II x6? how will they fare in the future. Many questions but for good reason. Haha.

I kind of see the bulldozer/FX/Zambezi as a work in progress. Sure it wasn't a slam dunk like Sandy Bridge was/is, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for AMD. Where AMD excels and Intel falls flat is actually the ability to use multiple graphics lanes. AMD is better for running multiple video cards thanks to its' AMD Vision technology, where Intel doesn't have anything remotely close. More cores doesn't always mean that you'll have a smoother gaming experience - a quad core is perfectly suitable, the X6 is a great CPU - it will handle anything you can throw at it. The X4 is still a perfectly capable CPU even though it is a couple of generations old by now.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for the T.V. set hook-up knowledge. : D As you know I am completley new to building my own gaming desktop. It seems fairly easy to hook everything up and move the wires and what not but I have very little knowledge about actually starting up the "newborn" system without any OS; then installing it and setting everything up and making sure everything is working within its set ranges. I don't want something to not work and go through the return process or replacement process and I really do not know how to; even what to expect when I first turn it on then. What should I expect? what would I see? and is there any sort of guide that can help me to "teach" the computer how to operate with the OS CD-ROM and how to make sure everything is working at the correct settings. Especially for gaming, since thats what this machine will be used for.

Is there any reccomendations that you can replace your posted Specs with? like a good "future proof" mobo that is cheaper but not El Cheapo. haha.
I would like room to upgrade in the next few years. Why should I not have the better thermal paste? and the on-board audio is good enough for great, clear sound? would anything overheat if its at max load?, i also have seen a video on Youtube about ( I heard the guy say this )the stock cooling fan and radiator being better than third party fans to cool the CPU. Would the Hard Drive need a fan to?

Questions, questions, questions. haha. What do you think about the Cooler Master Haf 912?

g-unit1111

Titan
Questions, questions, questions. haha. What do you think about the Cooler Master Haf 912?
:lol:
I have that case - it is quite excellent but it's *NOT* made for big video cards. The interior space can be quite a bit cramped if you don't route your cables correctly.

: D As you know I am completley new to building my own gaming desktop. It seems fairly easy to hook everything up and move the wires and what not but I have very little knowledge about actually starting up the "newborn" system without any OS; then installing it and setting everything up and making sure everything is working within its set ranges.

Honestly for me the hardest part is hooking up the case headers to the motherboard - I always have trouble with those. :lol:

The thing is it's all fairly simple - all the parts hook together like a set of Legos would. Once you get power going to the motherboard that's all you really need - you can hook up the drives, video cards, everything else after that. If you have trouble there's plenty of resources on the web that can help - and if you need a person, perhaps consult friends/relatives/neighbors - chances are you know an IT person who's built computers and they can help you put it together if you need it.

I don't want something to not work and go through the return process or replacement process and I really do not know how to; even what to expect when I first turn it on then.

That's why you go with Newegg - they have one of the best RMA and technical support departments on the planet. Everything with them is fairly simple to operate if something goes wrong and you need to return it.

What should I expect? what would I see? and is there any sort of guide that can help me to "teach" the computer how to operate with the OS CD-ROM and how to make sure everything is working at the correct settings. Especially for gaming, since thats what this machine will be used for.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. All OS installation from Windows 95 - Windows 7 has been completely automated for the most part. Once you get your computer to boot past the POST (initial/start up) screen and start the install, all you have to do is format your hard drive through the command prompt (unless you're using SSD - then you quick format) and then it will issue a boot partition, and you're good to go from there. When you're installing your OS - you will need to make sure that you set your optical drive as your boot drive through the BIOS.

Is there any reccomendations that you can replace your posted Specs with? like a good "future proof" mobo that is cheaper but not El Cheapo.

That build is fairly solid as it is. Unless you want to go Intel then I'll recommend some drastically different stuff. As long as you have a quad core or above CPU, 8GB RAM, a pretty decent HD (any HD for that matter), and a fairly modern GPU (the Radeon 68xx series is excellent for the price) you'll be good for a couple of years no problem. The software is always one or two generations behind the hardware. If you want an excellent motherboard that doesn't cost a lot you should look at Gigabyte or maybe Asrock. The one I listed will work with SLI or Crossfire and everything else you need it for. And Newegg has it on sale right now for $129.

Why should I not have the better thermal paste?

There's nothing wrong with having better thermal paste. Just make sure you don't get the cheap white stuff that is included with most fans - you could fry your CPU that way.

nd the on-board audio is good enough for great, clear sound? would anything overheat if its at max load?,

Since about 2007 (Core 2 Duos, etc) onboard audio has improved dramatically. It's all I ever use and it's pretty much a separate component - it won't affect your motherboard even on a max CPU load. The only reason you'd need a sound card is if you're hooking up your PC to a system with something way above a 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio system.

i also have seen a video on Youtube about ( I heard the guy say this )the stock cooling fan and radiator being better than third party fans to cool the CPU.

Stock fan? Radiator? Unless he's talking about some crazy liquid cooling or custom setup I've never heard of - I think this could be full of crap (I may need to see the video to understand what he's talking about).

Would the Hard Drive need a fan to?

No. Most standalone hard drive coolers are completely useless and a waste of money (as are PCI-e fans - which in addition to wasting money - take up one or more of your PCI-e slots). Pretty much any case manufactured after 2009 will have one or more front fans that will cool the HD bays anyways.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So if it is good cable routing I could possibly fit a big card in it, in the future?
I may have a friend who knows stuff about computers to be able to help me put it together and make sure it all works.

Okay. I will put together a build list and post it by tommorow after work. See if you can provide input.

So that fan you posted; the paste for the CPU is not any good? I mean I don't want to have to spend an extra buck on paste if it won't make much of a difference. You know? xD the regulat thermal paste that comes with the CPU and the fan will be good enough even with the turbo boost; if the CPU has that ability. what your saying is that if I am not overclocking at all; then I do not need any third party themral paste such as Arctic Silver 5. The regualr paste that comes stock would be fine or the paste that comes with your posted fan will be fine?

Oh okay. I'm not gonna do that, I'd go for headphones and a decent speaker set if need be, but I think the T.V. that will be used for the monitor has a good enough speaker system in it; since I can hear everything clearly even at 2 volume, better at 5 or 7 depending on audio quality from the game.

Okay. This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo
I have learned some things. : D
He is using regular stock stuff with his air cooled build. Its his opinion.

Alright. So no third party thermal paste, no real need for a monitor, no sound card that is dedicated.

get a Phenom II x6, find a cheaper but still good board, get a wireless card; need to know about the different kinds of Wireless cards and the wires I would need to get for the whole build. Among some other things, I think.
Should I go for an SSD? cuz I like the 500 Gb 7200RPM one. Must be fast, quick load times I presume?

g-unit1111

Titan
So if it is good cable routing I could possibly fit a big card in it, in the future?

No - the interior dimensions of the case are what will determine that.

So that fan you posted; the paste for the CPU is not any good? I mean I don't want to have to spend an extra buck on paste if it won't make much of a difference. You know? xD the regulat thermal paste that comes with the CPU and the fan will be good enough even with the turbo boost; if the CPU has that ability. what your saying is that if I am not overclocking at all; then I do not need any third party themral paste such as Arctic Silver 5. The regualr paste that comes stock would be fine or the paste that comes with your posted fan will be fine?

Most fans come with their own paste - but you're free to use any you want. I will advise that you should carefully research any third party paste you plan to buy. There's plenty of forums that can help advise you with this - here, and try overclockers.net.

Oh okay. I'm not gonna do that, I'd go for headphones and a decent speaker set if need be, but I think the T.V. that will be used for the monitor has a good enough speaker system in it; since I can hear everything clearly even at 2 volume, better at 5 or 7 depending on audio quality from the game.

Yes. Wait and purchase your accessories AFTER you get your computer. If you had an unlimited budget I'd say go ahead but with a budget as tight as yours is, having a $60 non-hardware item in it could really throw off what other hardware you're able to purchase. Concentrate on what's going to be on the inside of your case, not the outside.

Okay. This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo
I have learned some things. : D
He is using regular stock stuff with his air cooled build. Its his opinion.

Ok I'll have to check that out. There were a couple of really good articles posted on the main page of Tom's about air cooling - I'd highly suggest reading those.

Alright. So no third party thermal paste, no real need for a monitor, no sound card that is dedicated.

Again - I'm not gonna advise you against third party paste - I'm going to say you need to heavily research what you're doing before you proceed.

You definitely don't need a sound card, that's for sure.

Should I go for an SSD? cuz I like the 500 Gb 7200RPM one. Must be fast, quick load times I presume?

Yes but again if you had an unlimited budget I'd say go for the SSD absolutely. But with your given budget I'd really recommend the 500GB hard drive to start with, you can always add an SSD later on when you feel like it. The thing that always turns people off SSDs initially is the high cost per MB. It's cheaper to operate a 500GB mechanical drive. But the payoff for SSDs is absolutely the faster loading times. However your budget will only allow you to get a 64GB SSD, and believe me from my own experience, that will fill quickly. The 500GB hard drive is more than enough room to spare.

get a Phenom II x6, find a cheaper but still good board, get a wireless card; need to know about the different kinds of Wireless cards and the wires I would need to get for the whole build. Among some other things, I think.

Again - do not include the small items in your budget. Wait and get that stuff after you get your hardware. If you have cable or DSL your ISP will generally advise you what to get to setup a proper wifi network. You'll need a router and adapters for each of the computers you'll be including on your network, but those are nothing - like less than $20.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Okay. I'm putting together a list for you to review. : p

I'm not gonna be hooked-up by cable to the Internet, its wireless.

I have two MOBO's to pick from, unless you kindly find a better one in the same price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767

I really dont know what to look for in a MOBO for gaming. All I'm gonna do is install a game, then crank the settings up; keeping 40+ FPS, play it, switch games. Haha. you get the idea. I may Crossfire so I want that option. No overclocking; which is why I would go for the 3.3 Gzh Phenom II x6 over the 3.7 Gzh x4. I wonder how many Gzh is good for gaming? 2.8 Gzh or anyplace in the 3 Gzh range?

g-unit1111

Titan
Of those choices I'd easily go with the Gigabyte board.

I really dont know what to look for in a MOBO for gaming. All I'm gonna do is install a game, then crank the settings up; keeping 40+ FPS, play it, switch games. Haha. you get the idea. I may Crossfire so I want that option.

Well different motherboards are suited to different types of users. What you want to look for in a motherboard for gaming is expandability - mainly these two things - how many SATA ports it has for drive expansion, and how many PCI-e 2.0/2.1x16 slots it has so you can use the highest end video cards. The higher up you go with motherboards the better your expandability options you'll have.

No overclocking; which is why I would go for the 3.3 Gzh Phenom II x6 over the 3.7 Gzh x4. I wonder how many Gzh is good for gaming? 2.8 Gzh or anyplace in the 3 Gzh range?

The biggest difference between the X4 and X6 are the number of cores it has, not the speed. More cores isn't always going to make a huge difference in how your games behave - so keep that in mind. As far as speed goes, with most manufacturers getting wiser to overclocking rules, it doesn't really matter at this point. Every CPU made now always comes with +-.2 GHz of the previous model. No matter which CPU you use someone's gonna find a way to crank the speed way past the given numbers.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Okay, I have three parts in my "blueprint."
The OS, the CPU is gonna be the Phenom II x4 980, the case a Cooler Master Haf 912. Gonna investigate the MOBO again and what not. Your really helpful man, thanks so far. : )

does that Gigabyte MOBO have the option for CrossfireX? and what about this:1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port it only has one port. Is that good? xD the mouse and keyboard all go in one slot?, I'm just asking.

g-unit1111

Titan
Okay, I have three parts in my "blueprint."
The OS, the CPU is gonna be the Phenom II x4 980, the case a Cooler Master Haf 912. Gonna investigate the MOBO again and what not. Your really helpful man, thanks so far. : )

No problem - much better choice on the case, it's the same one I have and it's held up pretty well so far.

does that Gigabyte MOBO have the option for CrossfireX? and what about this:1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port it only has one port. Is that good? xD the mouse and keyboard all go in one slot?, I'm just asking.

It has two PCI-e x2.0x16 slots so you should be good there.

But I'm not sure what you mean about keyboard and mouse. If you get a Logitech or Microsoft set you only need one USB adapter for both - at least that's been my experience.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Alright. I have another 85 bucks; so I put that towards the Sabertooth and its 104.99 bucks, I'll take it ( money was from something I sold xD so I don't consider it in my main cashflow for this gaming desktop :D ). A co-worker said that I should get a Phenom x6 just to be safer, but my contention with that is the fact that its slower than the four core; but the four core has only four cores. You see? haha.

g-unit1111

Titan
Okay. I'm looking for a cheaper/better Mobo that will last a few years but the one I have included in my list is still pending.

Again - I'll repeat that with AMD you shouldn't go below a 970 or 990FX-based motherboard. The reason being is that a lot of their newer CPUs (especially X6 and FX series) haven't been tested with the older boards, nor are they planning to any time soon. If you get a CPU that isn't supported with one of the older chipsets, you're venturing into uncharted territory here. I'd still go with the one I mentioned - maybe try an Asrock or Gigabyte 990-based board, that should work.

A co-worker said that I should get a Phenom x6 just to be safer, but my contention with that is the fact that its slower than the four core; but the four core has only four cores.

Not necessarily. Most - even the newest games won't take advantage of anything beyond quad core yet. The software is always, always going to be one or two generations behind the hardware. Most usually get the latest and greatest for nothing more than bragging rights.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Alright, the Quad core is good for all types of CPU intensive games; like Starcraft 2, battlefield 3, Arma 2 and Arma 3, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Crysis 1&2 etc. ? I'm probably asking the same questions but I am understanding more and more everytime I ask in a different way. xD
Games next year and the year after etc., they will be just utilizing the four cores more probably, and when that starts happening. Does that mean that if i'm playing Metro 2033 or Arma 3 or some sort of future game that uses 4 cores fully; would it cause stuttering or some sort of lag due to the CPU trying tp catch-up?

g-unit1111

Titan
Alright, the Quad core is good for all types of CPU intensive games; like Starcraft 2, battlefield 3, Arma 2 and Arma 3, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Crysis 1&2 etc. ? I'm probably asking the same questions but I am understanding more and more everytime I ask in a different way. xD

No problem. The quad core is a general all-purpose CPU - most everyone is now beginning to catch up to quad core technology, it'll be maybe a year or two before software starts catching up to the 6 and 8 core CPUs that are just now beginning to see the light of day.

t if i'm playing Metro 2033 or Arma 3 or some sort of future game that uses 4 cores fully; would it cause stuttering or some sort of lag due to the CPU trying tp catch-up?

Not necessarily. Where your biggest lag factors in any build are always the GPU or your primary hard drive. The only area I'd see the CPU being a bottleneck would be in builds that are 3 - 4 years old. But for the most part pretty much any CPU on the market right now is always going to be at least 3 - 4GHz and +- .2GHz of the previous model. Having more cores aren't going to come in handy just yet.

If you got that system and wanted to upgrade in say, a year from now, the primary HD is always going to be a lag factor so getting an SSD would be the next logical upgrade. But the thing is I wouldn't get the SSD yet because of the high cost per MB factor - on your build you could probably only get a 64GB drive, and with the huge size of today's games, plus a full 16GB Windows install, that will fill quickly.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Okay, okay. How many gigs of ram do I really need?, I have been thinking about having 6Gb's of 1600 Mzh speed RAM. May get Corsaire Dominator's.
and so far my estimated price is about 901+ due to shipping and my extra 85 bucks.

Also, how much of a difference would it be if I bought a 3.5 Gzh x4 CPU and the same type of CPU but at 3.7 Gzh. There are some Quad cores that have 3.3 Gzh and 3.2Gzh. What is the sufficient amount of Gzh a gaming CPU should have for all games?, I want to try to cut the price down a bit and maybe get a better graphics or at least a better type and speed of 6850.

The Sabretooth 990FX MOBO I have in my build list supports only dual channel memory. Is that a problem if triple channel memory is inserted in on the MOBO? I don't even know what the difference is nor do I know if its better for gaming to have dual or tripe channel.

g-unit1111

Titan
Okay, okay. How many gigs of ram do I really need?, I have been thinking about having 6Gb's of 1600 Mzh speed RAM. May get Corsaire Dominator's.and so far my estimated price is about 901+ due to shipping and my extra 85 bucks.

8 is plenty for a dual channel system. The Corsair Dominator series is meant for the triple channel X58 system. For a dual channel system - each RAM increment requires 2 sticks to function, 3 for triple, 4 for quad, and so on.

Also, how much of a difference would it be if I bought a 3.5 Gzh x4 CPU and the same type of CPU but at 3.7 Gzh. There are some Quad cores that have 3.3 Gzh and 3.2Gzh. What is the sufficient amount of Gzh a gaming CPU should have for all games?, I want to try to cut the price down a bit and maybe get a better graphics or at least a better type and speed of 6850.

Not much. Like I said the speed doesn't really matter anymore. All CPUs made now are manufactured with pretty similar stock speeds, having +-.2GHz isn't going to make too much of a difference unless you overclock. What matters is the number of cores your CPU has (4 is perfect) and your GPU. If you want to try a GPU that will cut costs, I'd recommend the Radeon 6790.

The Sabretooth 990FX MOBO I have in my build list supports only dual channel memory. Is that a problem if triple channel memory is inserted in on the MOBO? I don't even know what the difference is nor do I know if its better for gaming to have dual or tripe channel.

Yes. The biggest differences are timing and voltage. Having the wrong voltage RAM on your motherboard could fry your whole build - and believe me that's happened to me before. Triple channel RAM is *ONLY* supported on Intel X58 and if you're buying a new system, that's two or three years out of date already. You want to stick with dual channel RAM since that's what most CPUs support these days.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Alright. Dual channel seems pretty fast!, I hook-up one stick in each of the colored areas then its installed. Cool. how would I know if its the correct voltage that the MOBO supports? and is there any difference between a CAS latency of 9 with 1600Mzh RAM speed or Cas latency of 8 with the smae Mzh RAM speed?
The vengeance Ram you posted is actually good. But would another twenty bucks for the CAS latency 8 be any better or faster in Skyrim or Crysis?

g-unit1111

Titan
Alright. Dual channel seems pretty fast!, I hook-up one stick in each of the colored areas then its installed. Cool. how would I know if its the correct voltage that the MOBO supports?

The way to check that is to go to your motherboard manufacturer's support site and look at their supported memory list. But keep in mind that it's impossible to test every part on the market. What's listed is a general guideline of specifications to follow when selecting memory.

and is there any difference between a CAS latency of 9 with 1600Mzh RAM speed or Cas latency of 8 with the smae Mzh RAM speed?
The vengeance Ram you posted is actually good. But would another twenty bucks for the CAS latency 8 be any better or faster in Skyrim or Crysis?

This I honestly can't answer - maybe head over to the memory forum and ask there. The thing to keep in mind with memory though is that your motherboard will always default to the lowest speeds and latency timing it can handle - and if you run anything past default speeds your system will not work correctly.

hardwareman11

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Ok. i'll check the MOBO for the RAM.
I just read that there is not too much of a difference thats noticeable with CAS latency 9 or 8. Sure maybe 4 FPS, maybe 5? not much really.
I have been looking at the 6870. You have any recommended selections out of the list on Newegg?

g-unit1111

Titan

That doesn't matter anymore - nothing uses PS/2. Pretty much all keyboards and mice made since 2004 are all USB anymore.