david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi guys, I recently have use the clear CMOS button on my new rig since I accidentally misconfigured my BIOS settings. Sometimes, when I boot my computer, it will freeze at the BIOS screen or say "disk read error". However, by opening my computer case and unplugging everything that is external and making no adjustments to the internals and putting the case back on will fix the problem. I also noticed that when I have a usb plugged into the front panel the BIOS will freeze. It this have something to do with the CMOS battery. Should I reinstall my BIOS?

No. You may have a simple conflict with one of the usb device drivers. Check windows device manager for marks next to a device, which indicates the device isn't working properly. Other possiblity is that one usb port is going out. Flashing the bios does nothing for a bad usb port, and can leave you with a dead motherboard.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Thank You for the advice. However, sometimes when I don't have any USB device plugged in it also says "Disk Read Error". Is it becuase I used the clear CMOS. Also, that port works fine. Some people say that you should remove the battery and put it back. (My battery is new)