First Gaming PC - Did I do OK? - From Black Friday Deals

froggyliver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I bought the following all from Black Friday deals from several different web sites. This is my first custom build gaming PC and wondering if I did good or not. (Note: prices include all rebates)

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) $79
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K $299
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm $25
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz $45
Graphics: 2 x AMD Radeon HD 5850 1 GB GDDR5 $250
Hard Drive: Crucial 128 GB m4 $209
Hard Drive: Took from Western Digital external $0
Optical: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive $20
Case: Antec-Three Hundred Computer $20
Power: ANTEC| NEO ECO 620C 620W RT $35
Total Cost: $982

mourice12

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Looks pretty decent. the motherboard though prolly wasnt the best choice. thats an awesome dead on that ram. I would've went with 1 6970 or 6950 over the 2 5850's. i7 was a bit of an overkill but nothing is going to out perform it for a while.

froggyliver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Youngster, thanks for the comments. What do you mean about the motherboard. I am not a big hardware guy so if you could explain I would appreciate it.

Megamanx, yes 2 of the 5850s for $125 each = $250 total. That is why I got 2 of them instead of a single higher end video card. It was a good deal I thought from what I know.

Madchem, your just jealous lol. Go back to playing with your 133mhz Command & Conqueror game hehe. Say something meaningful if you want to help. That is what this is about.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Perhaps he wants to learn from your infinite knowledge.

I would not have purchase the 16 gigs, could have gotten 8 for 30 during the sales. games don't even use more than 4 gigs.

Would not have purchase the i7 2600k, would have gone with the i5 2500k instead. Again to save cash and the hyperthreading is not needed for gamming.

madchemist83

Distinguished
well then he shouldn't have asked how he did
I'm giving my honest opinion
all of the components except SSD and case are either overkill or poor quality
my knowledge is not infinite as I learn everyday snappy
to conclude my post read my moto

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
wasn't really being serious mad, I read your motto. What was stated was stated due to your motto. Irony was used.

Perhaps an elucidation or smile face was in order.

anyways you can always learn from your mistakes, and that's all he was probably looking for. Mistakes and alternatives to his choices.

froggyliver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I forgot to mention that I will be running VMs from this computer as well to test different software and such. Even several at the same time. That is why I went for more memory. I went for the i7 just for fun as my budget was $1,000.

Could someone please explain why a different motherboard would be considered better? What would make it better? Speed, reliability, features? Would appreciate it. Thank you all!

Even if you weren't using all those VMs it's still good you bought all that RAM. After all when I built my computer I thought 4GB would be enough, but now it's getting used up by all the stuff I do and low latency 1066 RAM isn't reasonable to buy lately. So yeah the extra RAM will come in handy latter even if you didn't use it all now.

Not bad for your first build :D

froggyliver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Turns out something was wrong with my case so I returned it, got refund and saw the Antec Lanboy case on sale for $99 so I bought that.... guess I went over my $1,000 budget lol but oh well. Now I will have USB 3.0 on the front panel.

I am still curious about the motherboard comment though. Anyone?

froggyliver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Thank you P07H34D for your worthless words. I am not asking to be put down. I am asking if not the motherboard... then please explain why... not just old/outdated.... what technically is better or not.

Don't be so hateful of everyone cleaming your better. Grow up. Now if you would like to give some helpful advice please carry on... seriously

kikislime

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
i miss something? ok guys, oh and OP? please read reviews here for these boards under motherboards, check news. there are 100-200 buck then 200+ z68 brands listed, not much said about asus.

But p67 had limitations for a couple of reasons it made no sense because it seemed to lock down what people could use.

read the reviews and those comments

kikislime

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I see the point now, pothead does have one. He said it well now, if you want to Op you can sell or return those gpu's and get a 6970 still... I would have done that even if it was a mistake, doesn't your an i7 have a igp you can use in the mean time, only thing worth changing atm... and the psu 750w-1000w corsairs, antec, pingiun, cool master idk.... modular idk...

the case makes no sense, it may have not fit the 6950/70 pothead...

kikislime

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
one more thing OP the reason you come here, is for advice, you should have come here days prior to black friday sale and asked people about your picks.. and if you were at microcenter with me i'd have helped you ^_^.

p67 is out of date and pretty much obsolete with z68.

Pothead may have been blunt, and straightforward but you did ask for help :(.

kikislime

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
he is stuck with the i7 2600 until he wants to sell it, and try and get a i5 2500, but that is it, only thing I can see him doing is selling the memory or hitting return, to get money back, then buying new 8gb ones, or just buying 8 gb ones, and selling 16 gb memory. That seems like overkill unless he does programming and editing, besides games... (doubt it).

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Like Mad said, low profile ram is preferable if you have large heatsinks, the gen3 mobo is slightly narrower compared to others, However the g. skill sniper ram has a lower profile compared to both the vengeance and the ripjaws.

I have had no problems with the sniper series thus far, it barely fit under my heatsink. the vengence and ripjaw probably would not have without modification.

TRENDING THREADS