Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice for a $600-$800 Budget/Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2011 1:12:57 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: by the end of the year (hopefully).

Budget Range
: 600-800 (no rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Machine Learning (machine model training, AI), Programming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, PSU (but my 500W HEC Raptor PSU will probably need an upgrade)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts
: prices where I am should match newegg.com, without the rebates or packages

Parts Preferences
: Prefer an LGA 1155 system so I have the option to upgrade to IB in the future.

Overclocking: Yes (in the future, when needed)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but not necessary

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I want a cheap lower-midrange system that should last, or be upgradeable for the next 2 or so years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preferred Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K $225~
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $130~
RAM: Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (Are the G.Skill RJX RAM kits really that much better?) $50~
GPU: Inno3D GTX 460 SE 1GB OC $170~ (none left on newegg, so I'm using a local supplier's site)
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 $100~ (love the look of this case)
PSU: Please advise a cheap but reliable PSU. Doesn't have to be modular, cable management should be a breeze with the K62. $50~ maybe
Coolers: Will stick with stock for a while, but may upgrade to a CM Hyper212 in the future
Total Price: $725
As a sidenote, should I hold-off building this rig until the IB is officially released? Do the experts here expect SB proc prices to drop significantly at that time, or will the 2500k be like the timeless Q6600?
November 29, 2011 4:02:41 AM

My pinoy friend. I can easily help you. What is your EXACT budget in pesos. I am from the Philippines too.

Buy from here.
http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub

Oh yeah, if you already have Sandy Bridge there is no sense in getting Ivy Bridge lol :) .
m
l
November 29, 2011 8:12:15 AM

Oh cool, so there are pinoys in tomshardware! :D 

Right now I have a budget of around 30k pesos, give or take.
I'll be getting my components from PCHub, DynaquestPC, and wherever TPC takes me.

I don't have a Sandy Bridge proc yet, so I'm wondering if I should go SB or wait for IB. I'm not in a hurry to replace my current system, so I could start with buying just the GPU and waiting for IB to hopefully drop the SB prices next year. But then again, I notice that processor prices never really go down much, especially for the more popular bang-for-buck components. And with Bulldozer's lackluster performance, Intel might be confident enough to keep their prices high.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 29, 2011 8:16:22 AM

Just get it from PCHUB. If you're not in a hurry then it's best to wait Ivy Bridge comes out and SB will surely go down but not quickly.

Also, if you wait for the new GPUs that will be out sometime next year. It promises to be 50% more effecient with power.

It's a good thing too. Philippines and its crazy electricity rates are killers.
November 29, 2011 8:38:47 AM

Alright then, will probably wait for Q1-Q2 2012 before my purchase. I'm actually excited to see how Kepler v.s. Southern Islands will be.

At the very least, I hope they drop the prices of the 560Ti's. Though, I do still feel like the current prices on the 460 OC are in a sweet spot. I guess for now, my old reliable 9800GT should suffice for most of the console-ports that pass as PC games today. :p 
m
l
November 29, 2011 8:39:26 AM

Best answer selected by pawala.
m
l
November 29, 2011 8:42:46 AM

lol. I still have my 9800GT too. it's pretty good. Naw man, don't get a 460 especially with your budget.
m
l
!