Display Driver Stopped Responding GTX 570

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinfullybest

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hi,

I've actually had this problem for a few months but as of lately it's become more and more persistent. My screen will freeze and then turn black, then everything will come back on the screen, and I'll get the little notification saying my display driver has stopped responding. As of right now, I have the 280.26 drivers installed. I've had this problem occur with every set of drivers since I got the card in April.

The problem has occurred while watching a DivX movie, loading up Counter Strike: Source or Left 4 Dead 2, or even logging into facebook. My card runs at 36°C idle and I've never seen it go over 65°C at full load, so I really don't think it's an overheating issue. I've tried using EVGA Precision to bump up the fan speed, and the problem has occurred even at 28°C. The only other thing I tried was editing the TDR and setting it to 8 and that still hasn't worked.

So I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this, I would just really love for it to go away. Today it caused three BSODs which has never happened before and the screens said something about dumping the physical memory.

My Specs:

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
SeaSonic X Series X-850 850W
i5 2500K 3.3GHz
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
MSI P67A-GD53
ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Solution
Oops. Sounds like you're getting RAM problems if it is happening in all the the applications you noted.
Try removing the sticks of RAM and use just one at a time.
See if the problem is resolved by isolating the bad stick.
Also reseat the GPU to be sure it's not faultily put on.
I had the same thing happen to me and I am running GTX 580 , so what I did was uninstall the card and the drivers completly from my computer and then reinstalled the card. I then upgraded the drivers to the beta 285.38 and so far have not had a problem. I'm guessing it is some kind of driver conflict with some software or hardware.

When I uninstalled the cards I also removed them from the slot as well.

sinfullybest

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked. I completely uninstalled all the nvidia drivers and then I downloaded and did a clean installation of the 285.38 drivers. As soon as I restarted and opened firefox, the screen froze and turned black.

Oops. Sounds like you're getting RAM problems if it is happening in all the the applications you noted.
Try removing the sticks of RAM and use just one at a time.
See if the problem is resolved by isolating the bad stick.
Also reseat the GPU to be sure it's not faultily put on.

Solution
Errr......No.
Frankly, I have never run Memtest, my logic behind it was if the rig had a faulty part, which could be anything, why should memtest be able to diagnose it right, after all it's a program too. So basically , I never used it and I don't think softwares are the best tools to diagnose such problems.
Physically removing each stick and running just one stick at a time will finally tell you which one is bad or which ones are good.
I believe even with Memtest, finally you'll need to check each one individually, because the program will most probably give you an address where the problem is, which is , I don't think, written anywhere on/in the rig.

sinfullybest

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give an update. I got around to using my RAM one stick at a time and I figured out which one was giving me the problems. I haven't had any issues so far so I guess I'll just have to buy another stick.

Thanks for all your help!

sinfullybest

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so apparently the problem isn't fixed. I thought I had removed the faulty ram because I went a few days without experiencing anything when I had just one in but today the display driver crashed when I got on firefox. Should I just replace both sticks of ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.