Best PSU for SLI GTX 560 TI's + FX-8120?

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hi guy's!

I'm currently looking for a PSU that is SLI/Crossfire Capable and can power my FX-8120. I would prefer to buy off Amazon.com because they ship internationally! I have been looking at the Corsair TX V2 Modular 650w.

~Samo

Solution
Seriously, I think the Corsair TX 650 Watt Modular is perfect for your setup.

The TDPs are:

FX8120 = 125 Watts
2 x GTX 560ti = 340 Watts

Given your SLi setup, the total max wattage for the system would 465 Watts + other devices. The Total overall at max would probably be around 500 Watts (including motherboard chipset, drives, ram etc.).

Now this is the maximum. Remember, the TDP does not necissarely equal the power draw. The TDP is the maximum amount of heat to be dissipated by a cooling apparatus. So your system would only consume about realistically 450 Watts DC at maximum. You would only reach the maximum amount of power consumption if all of your hardware got insanely hot because of the increased resistance caused by high heat...

tlmck

Distinguished

The 650w will be fine, but the 750 watt would allow you to move up to a higher end SLi setup later. No harm in having a little extra now either as the new Certified units are efficient across all load ranges.

jonathann1818

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Seriously, I think the Corsair TX 650 Watt Modular is perfect for your setup.

The TDPs are:

FX8120 = 125 Watts
2 x GTX 560ti = 340 Watts

Given your SLi setup, the total max wattage for the system would 465 Watts + other devices. The Total overall at max would probably be around 500 Watts (including motherboard chipset, drives, ram etc.).

Now this is the maximum. Remember, the TDP does not necissarely equal the power draw. The TDP is the maximum amount of heat to be dissipated by a cooling apparatus. So your system would only consume about realistically 450 Watts DC at maximum. You would only reach the maximum amount of power consumption if all of your hardware got insanely hot because of the increased resistance caused by high heat.

Now the bulk of your power hungry hardware will consume power on the +12V rail, including GPUs and CPU. Looking at the chart for this PSU:

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx650-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

you can see that the PSU can deliver 53 Amps of current on the +12 V rail, giving you 636 Watts maximum, well above the 450 Watts or so that you would realistically be drawing from the +12 V rail.

So my point is that it would be false to say this PSU would be cutting it close. This is where I think Guru3d is totally off the mark. It was even shown in the article that the system wattage with gpus in full stress was 449 Watts AC from the wall. Factoring in the efficiency of the PSU, I would say the system was consuming no more than 400 Watts DC from the PSU. Now guru3d may be taking into account the fact that not everyone has a quality PSU and these PSUs often dont have the 12V rail wattage proportion that the higher end ones do like corsair (My first PSU was a 650 Watt but only had 456 Watts on the +12V rail). I would however say that if you want headroom for future upgrades, you should consider a power supply with a larger capacity.

Other than that, this PSU would do the job very nicely, with still a fair bit of headroom. Now if you overclock the GPUs and CPU, the system will consume significantly more power but your system will most likely still be consuming power safely within the limits of the PSU's wattage capacity.

I say go for the Corsair V2 TX650 M. You have nothing to be worried about. Going any higher than 650 W would be serious overkill. Heck you could probably run it nicely with a TX550M.

Solution

mahatmacoat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I specced my new build on dual 560's, factored in 30% capacitor degredation and ended up with a figure of 800 watt + . Not an excess figure apparently if the machine will see heavy use

I purchased a coolermaster 850 Modular unit, for just about £100 . I figured in doing such I would have just about anything I wished to upgrade to covered, and with the 5 yr guarantee , a good minimum life span .

This is the PSU I purchased http://www.ebuyer.com/176413-coolermaster-silent-pro-850w-modular-psu-rs-850-ambaj3

This is the calculator site I used :

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Things are going well, PSU is VERY quiet.

jonathann1818

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

All that PSU calculator does is simply adds the TDPs of all of the components. Simple as that. It will work of you base you psu off of that, but it will be a bit overkill.

Good to know that its working for you. I still think that 650W is plenty for what the OP wants to do.

jonathann1818

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

The problem with those configurators is they recommend power supplies that truthfully are overkill for the components that you have just to scare you into buying a a more expensive power supply than you need.

And there is a difference between a guess and an estimate. I truthfully think it is far better to come up with an accurate estimate and base your choice of PSU off of that than some configurator or PSU calculator.

Never a bad idea to have headroom though, especially for upgrades.

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Okay thanks! I think I'll get the Corsair TX V2 650w Modular because I haven't yet bought the gpu's or the cpu's. It sounds' as if they'll all run nicely on a 650w PSU so I'll stick with that. I will in future upgrade but since I'm on a budget a TX V2 will do for now!

~Samo