Sign in with
Your question

HAF 922 front audio not working?

Last response: in Components
March 2, 2012 5:49:37 AM

Hi,
I currently am running an Asus Xonar D1 and my fron panel audio jack on the HAF 922 does not work. How do I fix this problem? In the sound devices, it is detected as 'headphones' but it does not work. And there is a small icon (presumably) showing it is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
a b ) Power supply
March 2, 2012 8:47:00 AM

If your using the ASUS Xonar, its likely that this is set as your default audio device.

In order to use the front panel audio, you'll need to change the default audio device within your windows settings.

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray, click 'Playback Devices', then change to default Audio device from the ASUS to the system speakers.

Using the front panel audio will result in "motherboard-quality-sound" however, rather than using the Xonar (plugging your headphones directly into it - which would obviously be advised to do since you want the best quality audio).

Note: You may need to right click on the white space in "Playback devices" and click show disabled devices in order to see them all.

Hope this helps :) 
March 2, 2012 2:23:43 PM

AdrianPerry said:
If your using the ASUS Xonar, its likely that this is set as your default audio device.

In order to use the front panel audio, you'll need to change the default audio device within your windows settings.

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray, click 'Playback Devices', then change to default Audio device from the ASUS to the system speakers.

Using the front panel audio will result in "motherboard-quality-sound" however, rather than using the Xonar (plugging your headphones directly into it - which would obviously be advised to do since you want the best quality audio).

Note: You may need to right click on the white space in "Playback devices" and click show disabled devices in order to see them all.

Hope this helps :) 

Hi,
In the Playback devices I enabled showing disabled and disconnected devices. There are two named 'Speakers': one says Asus Xonard D1 Audio Device under it and I can set it to default, but that does not make the front audio work. The second 'speakers' title says High Definition Audio Device (from the mobo), but it says not plugged in and I cannot set it as a default device- it is greyed out. Any ideas?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 2, 2012 3:45:21 PM

Did you connect the FP connector to the sound card or to the motherboard?

If you are connected to the sound card, be sure to disable the onboard sound in your BIOS.

If you connected to the motherboard, you need to make sure that the front panel is enabled (some BIOSes do this, others don't) and you must also set the correct sound devices in COntrol Panel/Sound.

Please clarify.
March 2, 2012 5:26:16 PM

COLGeek said:
Did you connect the FP connector to the sound card or to the motherboard?

If you are connected to the sound card, be sure to disable the onboard sound in your BIOS.

If you connected to the motherboard, you need to make sure that the front panel is enabled (some BIOSes do this, others don't) and you must also set the correct sound devices in COntrol Panel/Sound.

Please clarify.

I connected the connector to the sound card. Should I reconnect it to the mobo?
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 2, 2012 7:26:57 PM

No, it should connect to the sound card. Did you disable the on-board audio in the BIOS?
March 2, 2012 8:28:06 PM

COLGeek said:
No, it should connect to the sound card. Did you disable the on-board audio in the BIOS?

Not yet, i will report back tomorrow when I have done that. Btw, strange thing is that the microphone port does work!
March 3, 2012 6:56:07 AM

Okay, I disabled the HD audio controller in the BIOS. Now in the sound options i can choose between the S/PDIF Passthrough Device (what I am using for my speakers) and just 'speakers' which says Asus Xonar D1 Audio Device under it. Neither of them enable the front audio jack to work :( 
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 1:38:21 PM

It is possible that your front panel audio jack is defective. Is you FP connector an AC '97 or HD-Audio type?
March 3, 2012 2:40:48 PM

The FP connector is an HD Audio type.
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 4:36:09 PM

OK, does your system detect the presence of your headphones when you plug them in now? Or, does nothing happen? Not looking for sound yet.
March 3, 2012 6:26:26 PM

Well, one of the 'sound devices' is named as 'heaphones' which says HD Audio Device under it, but I cannot select that device as default etc.
When i plug in my headphones in the FP jack, nothing happens.
Maybe it has something to do with my speaker/ sound setup:
using the S/PDIF out with an optical cable --> Z906 amp --> speakers
a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 3, 2012 8:53:26 PM

Your config should be fine. When headphones are properly detected, the sound card re-routes the output to them. It really sounds like your FP connector may be the problem.

A way to check this would be to remove your sound card, connect your FP connector to the motherboard header, and then re-enable the on-board sound in your BIOS. Once Win 7 re-loads the drivers you can plug in your headphones to see if they are detected. If that are detected, then the problem must be with your sound card. If they aren't detected, the FP connector is defective.

Make sense?
March 3, 2012 9:50:00 PM

Yes, makes sense :)  I will try this tomorrow/ the day after, cannot right now. I will report back then!
!