Sign in with
Your question

Computer shuts off randomly, but all fans keep spinning

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2011 1:17:31 AM

Hello all, I built this system myself about 3 years ago.

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
BFG GeForce GTX 295 - Video Card
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Corsair 1000HX Modular PSU
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT
AZZA Fantom 900 Black Computer Tower
Windows Vista 64

I recently brought it overseas from the USA to New Zealand. I took out all of the bulky parts and put them in my carryon and I made sure to put my hard drive in antistatic bubble wrap. When I put it back together everything worked fine for a little while, but then all of the sudden it crashed. The monitors shut off and the power light on the video card went from green to red, but nothing about the sounds from the computer changed and all of the fans kept on spinning. I had to push the power button to shut it down. I tried it again the next day and it lasted about 3 hours and then it happened again. I've tried it several more times since then and it seems to be crashing faster and faster each time. Just now I couldn't even get to the windows screen before the crash happened.

It's worth noting that I had a friend check and my messenger went offline with the monitors so it seems the whole computer shuts down, not just the display. Also if I power it down right after the screens go black it takes a few seconds to shut off, but if I wait a bit then press the power button, it shuts off instantly (which tells me the whole computer is shutting down when it crashes, except for the fans). I had this problem about a year ago and it turned out that the outlets in my house were giving me brownouts, but alas I just went and bought a UPS here and it isn't helping like it did then =/

What steps should I take now to figure out what is going wrong?

Thanks a million guys!
November 29, 2011 2:13:33 AM

So what does that mean for me? I bought outlet converters and my PSU and monitors both can handle up to 240 volts they say. What should I do?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2011 2:20:34 AM

check polarity of it if you can,also look at the board for damage on it from traveling
m
l
November 29, 2011 2:25:34 AM

I looked at the board and it seemed alright by appearance. How do I check for polarity?
m
l
November 29, 2011 5:36:41 AM

Maybe the 240Volt max was made to leave a 10V margin??? I personally think the PSU maybe faulty and sending bad power causing the motherboard to shutdown everything... Are the fans wired directly to the PSU or to the Mobo?
m
l
!