callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
is there anything recent on the fx-8170, im holding out for it in the hopes it will be better binned than the fx-8150, hoping for better l1 cache at least

callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
To my knowledge no. It's identical to the 8150, but with higher clocks. Considering these chips are unlocked, this isn't anything special.

i sure hope not, at the very least i hope its made with better quality silicon

I have seen rumors there is a new addition to the FX-8xxx series.

il post the link when i find it again =)

i know the fx-4170 and the fx-6200 are allready out and showing a little improvement

4745454b

Titan
i know the fx-4170 and the fx-6200 are allready out and showing a little improvement

Link? I haven't seen anything saying that. There will be some improvements over the other chips, but it should be purely clock speed based. Only way the 8170 will be faster is if its on a new stepping. And I haven't heard of a new FX stepping.

what, a whole production line with better materials for one chip.

It'll be better binned and that's it, adding more cache would mean shedloads of QA and design work.

4745454b

Titan
It's possible with all the new chips coming out there is a new stepping. And just because I haven't heard of it coming out doesn't mean its isn't. But everything I've seen on the new CPUs say they are just faster clocked versions of chips already out. Which as I said is rather lame/dumb as the chips are unlocked and you can OC them to those faster speeds anyways.

Will they give BD a new stepping or just wait for PD? I've heard rumors that AMD is trying to get PD out by Christmas of this year, but that doesn't sound likely to me.

2600K vs 2700K?

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
havent seen anything on 8170...But...

FX-8140 (3.2 Ghz / 4.1 Ghz, 95w) and FX 8100 (2.8Ghz / 3.7Ghz, 95w) are due out

FX-4170 (4.2Ghz / 4.3 Ghz, 125w) and FX-6200 (3.8 Ghz / 4.1 GHz, 125w) are released already.

callumparker666

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

would a new steping mean anything? wikipedia says the fx-8170 will be stepping b3

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

FX-8150 is B2. It would probably have minor tweaks and evolutions. So lets wait and see for a new stepping !

toolspaz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I don't think the higher clock speeds is just lame/dumb,those higher clock speeds will mean something to the majority of the computer buying public,the overclocking segment is not the majority.In an OEM computer to people who just want to buy it and use it those 4ghz+ speeds will sound and be pretty good. to the overclockers it doesn't mean much.Seeing as most are running their FX's at 4.5ghz and up already.

they will mean nothing to the computer buying public, most of the computer buying public dont actually know what there buying because they listen to guys like you that put there passion for a brand above common sense. especialy when its not there money being spent.

the fx series are junk and only an idiot fanboi would knowingly buy 1 when you can buy intel at the same price and get more performance...

amd no longer have the budget sector locked down like they 1s did and they certainly dont have much in the way of performance in 97% of apps they can be beaten by similar or lower priced parts...

the new parts are just iterations of the old and offer little in the way of actual performance gains 1s the field is leveled and both lower and higher priced cpu's are running at the same clock speed...

seriously whats the point of buying a cpu that has to run at 4ghz just to keep up with a cpu that runs at 3. because of that fact alone and not even mentioning that it needs 8 cores to match the performance of 4 cores from intel i lable it a junk part.
the much better choice for the discerning buyer is intel and if your gonna upgrade an amd setup then buy a turban part...

toolspaz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Most of the computer buying public look at the processor speed and number of cores,so from a marketing perspective AMD is making smart moves.I disagree that the FX processor is junk.I own 2 rigs with them and they do just fine,great for multitasking,I really don't care if Intel will run some outdated programs a little faster,FX will run some programs faster than Intel so they both have their strengths and weaknesses.I didn't come here to name call and I'm sorry that you are not mature enough have a civil conversation with someone that has a different opinion than you without slinging insults.I myself refuse to support a company that is as shady as intel,A company that tried to put their only competitor out of business doing shady business practices so they could have a monopoly on the CPU market.All the other tech computer forums are right Tom's hardware has gone down hill in the quality of it's posting members,you can't have a civil conversation without being verbally attacked by somebody.Have a good day

tomhrxbfg

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Couldn't agree more.