Sign in with
Your question

Low cost GPU for blu-ray/HTPC/etc.?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2011 1:02:44 AM

Putting together a build for my dad, and trying to narrow down the GPU. Price range is looking to be around $50-75 USD. Fanless might be a plus, although provided the fan isn't noisy, I don't think it'll be an issue. Power-wise, looking at a reliable 400w PSU, which seems like it should drive anything in this range. Need both DVI and HDMI output, and audio over HDMI.

It'll be paired with an i5 2500k and 8GB ram; overkill for his needs, but those parts were specifically requested, so I'll go along. Mobo will be something basic, without onboard video.

I've been looking at 5450, 5570, 6450, mainly because I'm more familiar with ATI, but I don't have any problem with nvidia cards. Not sure where to go for specific info, since gaming performance isn't really an issue here. Anyone have experience with builds like these?
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 1:29:11 AM

Just use the graphics in the 2500k if you haven't bought a P67 mobo.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 2:02:50 AM

The Intel HD 3000 graphics core in the i5-2500k is capable of playing back blu-rays. However, it cannot be used if you decide to buy a P67 chipset motherboard.

If for whatever reason you / your dad do not want to use it, then get a Radeon HD 5550 which includes additional algorithms and circuitry for better video quality than the HD 5450.
m
l
!