Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Split VGA signal without quality loss ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2011 1:11:48 AM

i wasn't sure where to post this question so im posting here, sorry if this is wrong category

I have a DVR computer with security cameras and i want to display the same image on another monitor. I only have 1 VGA output, so i really need to split the signal.

I bought a cheap Y splitter like this one

But i ended up not using it because there is an important quality loss

So i'm looking for an alternative without quality loss.

I found this from monoprice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Way-SVGA-VGA-Splitter-Amplifi...

Will i see a quality difference with this item ?
Also, what is 300MHz? There is also 400MHz version for more money, is there a noticeable difference?

thanks !!
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 5:09:27 AM

You can use the two VGA outs on the GPU to get the same image across 2 monitors too. Without quality loss though.
If you are using a GPU and not the onboard IGP. A cheap nearly extinct Video card might do the trick.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 5:23:16 AM

Quote "I have a DVR computer with security cameras"

no choice for adding a graphics card unfortunatly

the linked item looks ok but to be sure pop into a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) and ask the question.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2011 5:53:23 AM

Yeah it's a DVR computer made with intel atom and a shitty motherboard with only 1 PCI slot and its already used by the DVR card so i cant get a video card. And there's only ONE video out on the motherboard
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 9:24:13 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Quote "I have a DVR computer with security cameras"

no choice for adding a graphics card unfortunatly

the linked item looks ok but to be sure pop into a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) and ask the question.

It is a DVR COMPUTER not just a DVR.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 9:27:14 AM

ungovernable said:
Yeah it's a DVR computer made with intel atom and a shitty motherboard with only 1 PCI slot and its already used by the DVR card so i cant get a video card. And there's only ONE video out on the motherboard

You can try using one of them Multiple Display Boxes, but they're not going to be that cheap I think.
You might as well just change the Mobo and Processor to a Llano Set. It'll be well worth the Headache. I really can't see an Atom keeping up with the Cam feeds..... I don't know how they managed it, but, I'd love to know the Model and make of the DVR Computer you have, specs would be good too.
m
l
October 3, 2011 9:45:26 PM

I built that DVR computer myself.

back 2 weeks ago, i was using a Pentium4 1.6GHz with 256mb ram for running 5 cameras live.

I wanted something more silent without fan, so i upgraded to that :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With only 2GB Ram and it's doing the job very well with Geovision Software

Quote:
You can try using one of them Multiple Display Boxes, but they're not going to be that cheap I think.

Well i found some of them on ebay for less than $30, and newegg are selling one for $45

I just want to be sure there won't be signifiant quality loss like i had with a traditionnal "Y" vga splitter
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 4:27:35 AM

Could you send the links on ebay for those items or give me he model number and make so I can check there quality of the videos and let you know.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2011 4:49:04 AM

Image quality on both images seems to be perfect with no degradation.
Also a 400MHz Model by the same company seems to have a better market review than the 300MHz model.
http://www.amazon.com/2-Way-SVGA-Splitter-Amplifier-Mul...
October 4, 2011 2:42:36 PM

Thanks! I just bought it
m
l
October 4, 2011 2:43:19 PM

Best answer selected by ungovernable.
m
l
!