Solved

Split VGA signal without quality loss ?

i wasn't sure where to post this question so im posting here, sorry if this is wrong category

I have a DVR computer with security cameras and i want to display the same image on another monitor. I only have 1 VGA output, so i really need to split the signal.

I bought a cheap Y splitter like this one

But i ended up not using it because there is an important quality loss

So i'm looking for an alternative without quality loss.

I found this from monoprice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Way-SVGA-VGA-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier-300MHz-/370543547116?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item56461dd2ec

Will i see a quality difference with this item ?
Also, what is 300MHz? There is also 400MHz version for more money, is there a noticeable difference?

thanks !!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about split signal quality loss
  1. You can use the two VGA outs on the GPU to get the same image across 2 monitors too. Without quality loss though.
    If you are using a GPU and not the onboard IGP. A cheap nearly extinct Video card might do the trick.
  2. Quote "I have a DVR computer with security cameras"

no choice for adding a graphics card unfortunatly

the linked item looks ok but to be sure pop into a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) and ask the question.
  3. Yeah it's a DVR computer made with intel atom and a shitty motherboard with only 1 PCI slot and its already used by the DVR card so i cant get a video card. And there's only ONE video out on the motherboard
  4. HugoStiglitz said:
    Quote "I have a DVR computer with security cameras"

no choice for adding a graphics card unfortunatly

the linked item looks ok but to be sure pop into a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) and ask the question.

It is a DVR COMPUTER not just a DVR.
  5. ungovernable said:
    Yeah it's a DVR computer made with intel atom and a shitty motherboard with only 1 PCI slot and its already used by the DVR card so i cant get a video card. And there's only ONE video out on the motherboard

You can try using one of them Multiple Display Boxes, but they're not going to be that cheap I think.
    You might as well just change the Mobo and Processor to a Llano Set. It'll be well worth the Headache. I really can't see an Atom keeping up with the Cam feeds..... I don't know how they managed it, but, I'd love to know the Model and make of the DVR Computer you have, specs would be good too.
  6. I built that DVR computer myself.

back 2 weeks ago, i was using a Pentium4 1.6GHz with 256mb ram for running 5 cameras live.

I wanted something more silent without fan, so i upgraded to that :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442

With only 2GB Ram and it's doing the job very well with Geovision Software

Quote:
    You can try using one of them Multiple Display Boxes, but they're not going to be that cheap I think.

Well i found some of them on ebay for less than $30, and newegg are selling one for $45

I just want to be sure there won't be signifiant quality loss like i had with a traditionnal "Y" vga splitter
  7. Could you send the links on ebay for those items or give me he model number and make so I can check there quality of the videos and let you know.
  8. Best answer
    Image quality on both images seems to be perfect with no degradation.
    Also a 400MHz Model by the same company seems to have a better market review than the 300MHz model.
    http://www.amazon.com/2-Way-SVGA-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier/dp/B001UW7YDS
  9. Thanks! I just bought it
  10. Best answer selected by ungovernable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards VGA Graphics Product