Not open for further replies.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Corsair Gaming Series GS600

Details
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139023

or

Silverstone Strider Essential Series 600W (SST-ST60F-ES)

Details
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256071

These two PSU have great quality, but which one is worth to buy? The Silverstone is a bit cheaper.

The Silverstone support for 4 pcie connector while the Corsair support 2 pcie. But Silverstone only have 1x 6+2-pin, the Corsair has 2x 6+2-pin. For now I use GT 430 which is not required to install the power cable from PSU, but I might want to upgrade to GTX series which need 8/6 pin.

If both PSU above does not have 8/6 pin to power a GPU (ex: GTX 580/560 or any GPU that required 8-8/6 pin power), can I just use converter? I mean I buy a connector (from 6 pin to 8 pin, like the SATA converter).

Hope you can understand.

Here I was getting ready to say that the Silverstone was pretty impressive.

I pulled up a 500w Silverstone Strider from a website I trust and the PSU gave out almost 650w before it burned out. The power delivery was very clean on it too.

Then I saw the downfall. The 500w had 30A on both the 3.3v and the 5v and only 18a on the 2x 12vs.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=10052

That kinda kills it for me right there. That is just way too much juice on the smaller voltages and far too little on the larger voltages.

The Strider 500 seems like it was built for pre 2000 PCs and I wouldn't get it on that basis.

If you do decide to get the strider 600, you may have some difficulty powering a hungry video card like a gtx 580. There may just not be enough juice on the 12vs.

You are rolling the dice with that one.

On the other hand, look at the Corsair 600w. It has 25a on both the 3.3v and the 5v and 48a on the 12v.

That looks more like it is built to be running 2011 PCs.

I would pay the extra for the Corsair.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I was thinking to run sli/cf before, but for now, I think one high end GPU still can run games very good. I actually don't care much about games setting (high or not), as long as I can play games smoothly and not lagging. My Geforce GT 430 1GB can run most games smoothly (highest and lowest settings), :D .

I was thinking to get the Corsair but the Silverstone has more cables. Is that matter?

So there's no problem connecting this PSU to GPU like GTX580/560 or the HD6850 since you said most cards comes with adapters, right?

You are talking about the original Striders, not the Strider Essential that Maxson listed.
The Strider Essential 600W has 25A on the 3.3 and 5V rails and a 42A 12V rail.

And the Corsair CX600 has a 40A 12V rail, not a 48A 12V rail.

Functionally the Strider Essential is superior as it has four PCIe cables while the Corsair only has two.

The OP isn't talking about the CX600, they linked the Corsair Gaming Series GS600 which has 48a.

In any event, it is still too hard to find the Strider Essential brand on good review sites yet they are reviewed all over the place on poor ones which is a black mark for me.

I could be wrong about the Strider Essential ones, but I wouldn't try it myself to find out.

Also, 600w is pushing it for x2ing good video cards anyway especially if we are talking about current gen cards. 2x GTX 570s is 450w and the processor (assuming its a gaming processor) is another 125 which totals to 575 without including anything else. That is all 12v power and at 48a that is 504w, which is already short 71w on the 12vs.

Based on that, a 1x setup is really all that is feasible for these 600ws and there is really no need for the extra video card cables for what we are talking about.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Oooo~~~ So the cables on non-modular PSU is not upgradable, etc while the cables on modular PSU can be removed (one by one), right? It's ok as long as the PSU can give me high quality performance. My budget is MYR1000-1100 ($345.53).

Here's my build.

Motherboard : ASRock 970 Extreme 4
PSU : Corsair Gaming Series GS600
Processor : Phenom II X4 830 2.8Ghz
RAM : 8GB 1333 DDR3 (Corsair)
Casing : Already have
CD/DVD Writer : Already have
GPU : Geforce GT430 1GB DDR3

Processor - Will upgrade later. My target before was the Phenom II X4 840, even it has higher clock speed, it does not support L3 cache. So, I might choose the 830 which support L3 cache, can I can OC it a bit.

GPU - Will upgrade later. All games since to be working fine with this GPU. I dont really care about high setting or low, as long the game I played is smooth and doesn't lag.

If you look at the actual max wattage on the 12v rails, the PCP&C is only a 552w PSU. The Corsair that I listed, is 636. More amps, and more wattage for the Corsair.

The Strider only has a max of 504W on the 12v, and is less amps than both, the Corsair, and the PCP&C. Not to mention, the reviews of that model weren't exactly raving. It's not even rated at 80Plus efficiency.

madchemist83

Distinguished
it is .. there reason is lower efficiency is cause thay test it at 40 degrees celcius compared to 25 degrees that it is rated for .. that's the reason.
Efficiency is not as important as build quality .. that PSU is Seasonic build .. hands down one of the best PSU builders ... also it can pull more then labeled wattage .. also you have no idea what ops system is and don't know what wattage he needs

A lot of PSU's are tested at 40C. It's not specific to that one model.

Yes, Seasonic makes quality PSUs. I never knocked it, or said it was a poor model. I simply pointed out the areas where the Corsair was superior to the PCP&C.

madchemist83

Distinguished
and what would be those areas? that it has more amps on 12V rail ? that's not superiority .. but a feature .. whoppady dooda .. there is daiblotek PSU that has 70 Amps on one rail(maybe) .. doesn't mean it's better
also u r wrong .. it is rated 80 plus Bronze
also efficiency is higher on PC power then corsair u linked
Check your sources

Corsair PC Power
Power load Efficiency Efficiency
40% 83% 87.50%
50% 84% 86.86%
60% 86% 86.37%
80% 84% 85.27%
100% 83% 83.92%
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/Corsair_TX650W/testing.php

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/PC_Power_Cooling/Silencer_MK3_600W/5.html
about PC power
"Ripple at +12V is dead low in all cases. Only 14.1 mV of ripple at worst case in the most significant rail is definitely something to write home about. The minor rails registered a little higher ripple but still well below half of the limit (50 mV) even at worst case scenario. To speak frankly we didn't expect to see something different in ripple measurements from a Seasonic product since this company has mastered ripple suppression for ages now"

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/PC_Power_Cooling/Silencer_MK3_600W/9.html
looks like compared to Corsair TX750W M performance rating is better and performance per dollar is way better

so please tell me what are those superiorities u r talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.