Graphics Card Upgrade HELP

smokedgouda

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi, I recently upgraded my HP Pavilion Elite e9220y system below from an ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512mb) to a Gigabyte HD 5450 (1Gb) and the performance is no better on GTA IV or TF2. In fact in some cases it seems worse. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or what video card I need to see a real performance increase? I am running Windows 7 home.

Motherboard - H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 910
Memory - 8 GB
Video graphics (was) ATI Radeon HD4350
Sound/Audio - Integrated Realtec ALC888S Audio
Networking - LAN: Gigabit 10-Base-GT
802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card
Hard drive - 1 TB
CD/DVD disc drive - SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive
Memory Card Reader - 15-in-1 multimedia card reader with passive IR receiver
Computer Case - Mid-size ATX
Power Supply - 300W

Solution
Swapping the PSU with a more powerfull one will be fine.
Your components will only draw what they need to operate. you cant over power them with a larger psu.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
He is absolutly right not only are you stressing the system by pumping all available wattage and prob amps but you are not getting the performance neccasary. If you have a card that requires 400 get a 450 that whole concept. im suprised you are even able to run it with 300w. If i were you upgrade PSU but be very careful with this as it can fry your MB and other componnets if it is hooked upwrong or if something goes wrong. Upgrade to a 500 watt PSU and if your system can handle it pop in a 6870. Thats a middle to high end card. But now im going overboard. Please be careful when upgrading PSU and make sure your current system can handle it.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Inzone is right about what will work with your PSU

HOWEVER. neither the GT210 or GT520 will offer a decent if any upgrade in performance. i even think the GT210 will be slower than your 5450 and the GT520 will be very close.

smokedgouda

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Ok thanks everyone. Sounds like I need to upgrade the power before I can see a significant video performance increase. If I go that route how do I confirm my current MB and other components can work with another power supply?

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Be VERY CAREFUL with this proccess. I tried this once and fried my motherboard. Ask someone who knows what they are doing and make sure you have warranty. Some may disagree with me but sometimes to much voltage can destroy componnents.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Theitaliansico,

Its not possiable to give to much voltage to components unless your PSU is faulty or your overclocking.

Watts = Amps x Volts
Amps = Watts / Volts

Since your Volts are static in a PSU (3.3 volts, 5 volts & 12 volts)

Basic Electrical knowledge will dictate that a device will only draw the AMPS required, not more. so if there is 50amps avaliable but the device only needs 20 then that is all it draws from the PSU.

problems come when there is 50 avaliable and all of your devices combined need more than that.

Not once in 10+ years of being employed as an IT repair Tech have i ever seen components damaged by using a large PSU on low draw components.

you could put a 1500w monster PSU in if you wanted and it would be all good.

that being said 700-800w would be reccomended as above that and your most likley not going to use the avaliable power.

smokedgouda

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Ok, update everyone. I uprgraded my power supply from the 300W to a 550W. No issues, just out of the box Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY and it booted up right away.

Now I want to get a really good video card for a really good price. Whatever my system can handle so I'm not buying speed I'm not using. Any suggestions?