Quick BG1 question

I'm still learning the interface and working on the manual so please bear
with me.

Since the game is unpaused when opening the inventory display, i'm assuming
i must have my characters prepared for immediate battle at all times.
Correct?

Damn if typing the question doesn't make it sound stupid but i'm posting it
anyway to start a thread for my questions to come.

--
Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in

    > I'm still learning the interface and working on the manual
    > so please bear with me.
    >
    > Since the game is unpaused when opening the inventory
    > display, i'm assuming i must have my characters prepared
    > for immediate battle at all times. Correct?
    >
    > Damn if typing the question doesn't make it sound stupid
    > but i'm posting it anyway to start a thread for my
    > questions to come.

    Yes.

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > I'm still learning the interface and working on the manual so please bear
    > with me.
    >
    > Since the game is unpaused when opening the inventory display, i'm assuming
    > i must have my characters prepared for immediate battle at all times.

    Yes. /You/ should also be ready to switch back to the main screen
    instantly if you hear the battle music, or any of your characters making
    noises that indicate they've been hurt. Ideally, you should only fuss
    with your inventory when you're pretty sure the place you're in is safe.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Is taking items you find laying around in desks and crates, etc, considered
    stealing?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Is taking items you find laying around in desks and crates,
    > etc, considered stealing?

    Inside buildings it usually is. That is, if your party is seen.
    Exceptions are quest items.

    Outside no - anything, AFAIK, you find is "free" to take.

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Will copying over all the files from the \Data folders on the 3 cds to the
    HD stop it from accessing the cd drive?

    --
    Supreme Lord: http://watorrey.net/
    Heathcliff Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > Will copying over all the files from the \Data folders on the 3 cds to the
    > HD stop it from accessing the cd drive?

    I don't know. If you want not to have to change CDs, though, the safest
    way to do it is to reinstall the game, choose Custom Install, and put
    checkmarks next to everything. It may tell you you don't have enough
    space on your hard drive even though you do--just ignore it if it does.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > The Stare wrote:
    >> Will copying over all the files from the \Data folders on the 3 cds to
    >> the HD stop it from accessing the cd drive?
    >
    > I don't know. If you want not to have to change CDs, though, the safest
    > way to do it is to reinstall the game, choose Custom Install, and put
    > checkmarks next to everything. It may tell you you don't have enough
    > space on your hard drive even though you do--just ignore it if it does.

    I reinstalled it as you recommended. It definately copied more from cds this
    time. The disk space is there, why not use it, huh? Thanks.

    It's complicated enough trying to learn the right way to do stuff without
    further distractions ;)
    The hardest part is learning to micromanage the battles, but i'm slowly
    catching on.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > -snip-
    > The hardest part is learning to micromanage the battles,
    > but i'm slowly catching on.

    FWIW, the space bar is your best friend.

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and letting
    the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive? I ran everyone to
    the other side of the temple and waited the battle out. On the plus side, he
    killed a guard and i got some armour and a sword from the body.

    Is this the type of thing i have to look forward to the rest of the game?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Not really. This is the most random encounter, mostly because you are
    usually only first level and often don't have extra NPCs. Occasionally
    I brought along Xzar and Montaron (the two sleazy guys hanging out near
    Candlekeep) just to use them as cannon fodder. I never felt bad about
    getting those two losers killed and dumping them from the party.
    Most of the other early encounters are more or less optional.

    MSH
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and
    > letting the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive? I ran
    > everyone to the other side of the temple and waited the battle out. On the
    > plus side, he killed a guard and i got some armour and a sword from the
    > body.
    >
    > Is this the type of thing i have to look forward to the rest of the game?

    It is one of many ways. You survived: that's important. In fact,
    when you are so low level, it's hard to win the battle yourself.
    I remember reloading several time because _I_ wanted those
    experience points! Most of the times, one of the guards made
    the kill.

    Because Tarnesh is a mage, try to disrupt his spellcasting. Bows
    give two attacks per round and you also have a Wand of Magic
    Missiles, which always hits. If you have a mage in your party,
    like Xzar, you have more opportunities to distract him.

    The first two levels of your PC are the most difficult, because
    a single spell or arrow can kill you. But that will pass quickly. The
    major part of the game is much more forgiving. Until you have
    reached level 3: quick-save before and after any battle, and before
    sleeping in a wilderness area.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and letting
    > the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive?

    No. (Not that you necessarily need to keep everyone alive...I always
    have two evil party members at that point, and I tend to deal
    quite...callously with evil party members.) Tarnesh is a
    spellcaster--he can't cast a spell in a round where he takes damage, and
    Imoen brought a wand from Candlekeep that can ensure he takes damage
    every round.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > The Stare wrote:
    >> Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and
    >> letting the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive?
    >
    > No. (Not that you necessarily need to keep everyone alive...I always have
    > two evil party members at that point, and I tend to deal quite...callously
    > with evil party members.) Tarnesh is a spellcaster--he can't cast a spell
    > in a round where he takes damage, and Imoen brought a wand from Candlekeep
    > that can ensure he takes damage every round.

    I went back to my save just before Tarnesh and equiped Imoen with the wand
    and had Xzar cast a Larloch Minor Drain while me and Montaron melee
    attacked. A guard joined in and Montaron got credit for the kill in what
    looked like the first round.

    Now to redo the inn stuff. I particularly liked the pants pressing
    routine... lol
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and letting
    > the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive? I ran everyone to
    > the other side of the temple and waited the battle out. On the plus side, he
    > killed a guard and i got some armour and a sword from the body.
    >
    > Is this the type of thing i have to look forward to the rest of the game?

    No Tarnesh is just a very tough fight so soon into the game. It can de
    won without the guards but it is esier to let tyhem do it.

    Kharsis
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "You think I'm crazy, thats what they want you to think, I know
    secrets, keep the pantaloons, always keep the pantaloons!"

    MSH
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    <mshaslam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "You think I'm crazy, thats what they want you to think, I know
    > secrets, keep the pantaloons, always keep the pantaloons!"
    >
    > MSH

    Can't i go back and get them later? I got 100 XP for returning them!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 01:12:17 -0500, "The Stare"
    <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Now to redo the inn stuff. I particularly liked the pants pressing
    >routine... lol

    and that opens a whole new kettle of fish ;)

    *duck*

    HJ
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > <mshaslam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "You think I'm crazy, thats what they want you to think, I know
    >> secrets, keep the pantaloons, always keep the pantaloons!"
    >>
    >> MSH
    >>

    > Can't i go back and get them later? I got 100 XP for returning them!

    Maybe you can pick pocket them. Never tried though.

    Minor spoiler
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Keeping the pantaloons is only interesting if you plan to play BG II and ToB
    as well,
    with the same PC.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > <mshaslam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"You think I'm crazy, thats what they want you to think, I know
    >>secrets, keep the pantaloons, always keep the pantaloons!"
    >>
    >>MSH
    >>

    > Can't i go back and get them later? I got 100 XP for returning them!

    They're talking about an Easter egg. It will only matter if you're 1)
    going through the whole series, and 2) playing evil or not roleplaying
    at all, so I'd just ignore it.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > They're talking about an Easter egg. It will only matter if you're 1)
    > going through the whole series, and 2) playing evil or not roleplaying at
    > all, so I'd just ignore it.

    Why "playing evil"? Is it because of how you get the silver ones?

    I'm playing through a second time and plan to get the BMU. My PC doesn't
    have to be evil does she?

    Thanks,
    Adam
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Adam Christopher" <adamandeaster@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > > They're talking about an Easter egg. It will only matter if you're 1)
    > > going through the whole series, and 2) playing evil or not roleplaying
    at
    > > all, so I'd just ignore it.
    >
    > Why "playing evil"? Is it because of how you get the silver ones?
    >
    > I'm playing through a second time and plan to get the BMU. My PC doesn't
    > have to be evil does she?

    Your PC can do the quest "the evil way" and get the item
    regardless of alignment. It's nothing that a neutral PC should
    be expected to shy away from.

    Stupid alignments... oh dear, stupid me... BG1... wrong pantaloons
    I'm thinking of... ah well, all the same applies for both.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    kevin wrote:
    > "Adam Christopher" <adamandeaster@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>They're talking about an Easter egg. It will only matter if you're 1)
    >>>going through the whole series, and 2) playing evil or not roleplaying
    >
    > at
    >
    >>>all, so I'd just ignore it.
    >>
    >>Why "playing evil"? Is it because of how you get the silver ones?

    Yes.

    >>I'm playing through a second time and plan to get the BMU. My PC doesn't
    >>have to be evil does she?

    Only if you're roleplaying. The game will not mechanically prevent you
    from behaving evilly in that instance.

    > Your PC can do the quest "the evil way" and get the item
    > regardless of alignment. It's nothing that a neutral PC should
    > be expected to shy away from.

    I disagree. Entirely.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    What do i do with all these books i keep finding? They need to be in the
    inventory to read them but i haven't found anyplace to sell them yet. I'm
    gonna run out of room to carry them soon.

    I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel and i get the
    ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to Nashkel. Another tough
    assassin was waiting for me here as well. I turned on 'pause at end of
    round' to manage that battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some party
    members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be Imoen but she is
    my thief. I have Montaron equipped with a x-bow now so he cannot use his
    thief abilities unless i constantly unequip him. Xzar is nice to have with
    his spells available even if he can't hit much with anything else. The
    banter between the half-elves & the evil ones is comical as well.

    All in all, it starts out being rather tedious but i'm starting to get the
    knack of playing this.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > What do i do with all these books i keep finding? They need to be in the
    > inventory to read them but i haven't found anyplace to sell them yet. I'm
    > gonna run out of room to carry them soon.

    There are books with special attributes. However, most are merely there
    for flavor. You may feel free to sell them or, if you think you might
    want them later, stash them in a chest or barrel and make a note.

    > I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel and i get the
    > ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to Nashkel. Another tough
    > assassin was waiting for me here as well. I turned on 'pause at end of
    > round' to manage that battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some party
    > members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be Imoen but she is
    > my thief.

    It is your game, do you want a bard? In my opinion, all the NPCs are
    useful and interesting. So pick up those that appeal to you. As for
    Imoen, if you play the sequel, you'll be seeing her again.

    > I have Montaron equipped with a x-bow now so he cannot use his
    > thief abilities unless i constantly unequip him. Xzar is nice to have with
    > his spells available even if he can't hit much with anything else. The
    > banter between the half-elves & the evil ones is comical as well.
    >
    > All in all, it starts out being rather tedious but i'm starting to get the
    > knack of playing this.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > What do i do with all these books i keep finding? They need to be in the
    > inventory to read them but i haven't found anyplace to sell them yet. I'm
    > gonna run out of room to carry them soon.

    Leave them alone unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. :-p

    Not every item in the game is there for the player's benefit. Most of
    the shelves full of books are there to be read by the residents of the
    building you find them in (i.e., the PC isn't involved).

    > I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel and i get the
    > ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to Nashkel. Another tough
    > assassin was waiting for me here as well. I turned on 'pause at end of
    > round' to manage that battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some party
    > members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be Imoen but she is
    > my thief.

    Much more importantly, she's your childhood companion and completely
    loyal to you. "Never let a friend down!"--and you shouldn't let her
    down, either.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > What do i do with all these books i keep finding? They need
    > to be in the inventory to read them but i haven't found
    > anyplace to sell them yet. I'm gonna run out of room to
    > carry them soon.
    >
    > I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel
    > and i get the ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to
    > Nashkel. Another tough assassin was waiting for me here as
    > well. I turned on 'pause at end of round' to manage that
    > battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some party
    > members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be
    > Imoen but she is my thief. I have Montaron equipped with a
    > x-bow now so he cannot use his thief abilities unless i
    > constantly unequip him. Xzar is nice to have with his
    > spells available even if he can't hit much with anything
    > else. The banter between the half-elves & the evil ones is
    > comical as well.
    >
    > All in all, it starts out being rather tedious but i'm
    > starting to get the knack of playing this.

    There are some books that are needed for sub-quests. The quest
    'givers' will ask for them explicitly (by title). You can sell
    all books, if you wish, and buy whatever you need back (~3gp).

    Keeping Garrick is a personal preference. I would not trade
    Imoen for him.

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > The Stare wrote:
    >> What do i do with all these books i keep finding? They need to be in the
    >> inventory to read them but i haven't found anyplace to sell them yet. I'm
    >> gonna run out of room to carry them soon.
    >
    > Leave them alone unless you have a good reason to do otherwise. :-p
    >
    > Not every item in the game is there for the player's benefit. Most of the
    > shelves full of books are there to be read by the residents of the
    > building you find them in (i.e., the PC isn't involved).
    >

    >> I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel and i get the
    >> ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to Nashkel. Another tough
    >> assassin was waiting for me here as well. I turned on 'pause at end of
    >> round' to manage that battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some
    >> party members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be Imoen
    >> but she is my thief.
    >
    > Much more importantly, she's your childhood companion and completely loyal
    > to you. "Never let a friend down!"--and you shouldn't let her down,
    > either.

    Now that i'm starting to get the game fundamentals down, i'm thinking of
    restarting and attempting some proper roleplaying. Up to now, i've been a
    neutral/good ranger but haven't been very good although some minor quests
    have increased my reputation and restating is a good way to figure out how
    it all works when something goes wrong... like running across vampiric
    wolves with minimal magic weapons. Reloading is a bad habit but sooo easy to
    do.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > my thief. I have Montaron equipped with a x-bow now so he cannot use his
    > thief abilities unless i constantly unequip him.

    It is probably his armor that blocks his thieving abilities, not the
    crossbow.
    Thieves are restricted to leather armor. Because Montaron is also a fighter,
    he may use heavier armor, but that blocks his thieving abilities.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare schrieb:
    > Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?

    Definitely yes. Don't remember how much but your enemies will get a
    significant bonus to their attacks.
    Just imagine some big bad guy with 18+ STR and a two handed sword.
    Picture little Imoen in front of him desparately trying to defend
    herself with nothing but a shortbow in her hand. Guess who might get
    hurt. Got the idea?
    Martin
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    I believe opponent get +4 to attack.

    CB

    "Martin Wächtler" <sandbox@familie-waechtler.de> wrote in message
    > The Stare schrieb:
    >> Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?
    >>

    > Definitely yes. Don't remember how much but your enemies will get a
    > significant bonus to their attacks.
    > Just imagine some big bad guy with 18+ STR and a two handed sword. Picture
    > little Imoen in front of him desparately trying to defend herself with
    > nothing but a shortbow in her hand. Guess who might get hurt. Got the
    > idea?
    > Martin
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?

    RCV: In BG1, no. And given that many ranged weapons strike more than
    once per round, they are the preferable weapon to use at lower levels, even
    toe to toe.

    Now once you move onto BG2, watch out, becaue in that game enemies get a
    +4 to hit YOU if you are not using a melee weapon in melee - but it isn't
    something you have to worry about in BG1.

    Rich
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?

    Since there is confusion on the point with BG1 TotSC, I'll make it habit to
    switch to melee weapons at close range. It'll be good practice for later
    battles and better role playing in general. I'm not worried about rule
    changes to BG2 since, as a new game, it will require lots of new tactics
    anyway.

    Thanks everyone :-)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:
    > Is there any disadvantage to using ranged weapons at close range?

    Yes. I believe in BG1 it takes the form of a big penalty to your
    attacks rather than a bonus to enemies' attacks (that's in BG2), but in
    both games, very yes.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm in Beregost right now working my way down to Nashkel and i get the
    >> ocassional complaint that we need to hurry to Nashkel. Another tough
    >> assassin was waiting for me here as well. I turned on 'pause at end of
    >> round' to manage that battle. Is Garrick (Bard) worth giving up some
    >> party members for? The only one i can think of replacing would be Imoen
    >> but she is my thief.
    >
    > Much more importantly, she's your childhood companion and completely loyal
    > to you. "Never let a friend down!"--and you shouldn't let her down,
    > either.

    But I don't think that entails taking her with you absolutely everywhere you
    go. Leaving her stranded in a dungeon would be bad, but I see nothing wrong
    with letting her live her own life in Beregost, and wherever she chooses to
    go from there. Just because your childhood friend wants to tag along with
    you, that doesn't mean that you have to let her.

    On the other hand, I like Imoen much more than Garrick, and she's much more
    powerful as well. Garrick, power-wise, is pretty useless IMO.

    -- Neriana
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Here's my way of doing it - a free kill, pretty much!

    1/Recruit Xzar and Montaron - don't worry if you're good, they won't be
    around long ....

    2/ Get the Ring of Wizardry near the pine tree at the bottom of the Friendly
    Arm area. Have Xzar memorise 4 Larloch's drains

    3/ Enter the FA outside area. Don't go near the steps yet. Circle round
    behind the Temple.

    4/Put Xzar in front of you and Imoen, then have Montaron walk to the edge of
    Xzar's view range and drop hjis armour as a marker.

    5/ Now go and find Tarnesh with Monty. Lead him back to where Montaron
    dropped his armour. Have the conversation, he goes hsotile. Let him cast
    Mirror Image. Xzar casts Larloch, Tarnesh casts Horror - BUT it only affects
    Monty (that's the reason for the gap between you and him!) Xzar casts
    Larloch after Larloch. Tarnesh kills Monty with Magic Missile, then attacks
    Xzar (which is why he's in front of you and Immy - he attacks the nearest
    PC/NPC). Xzar will get to 16 hit points, then Tarnesh kills him with 2 Magic
    Missle spells, BUT Tarnesh is now out of spells.

    SO, that's

    Tarnesh - Mirror Image
    Xzar - Larloch
    Tarnesh - Horror
    Xzar - Larloch
    Tarnesh - Magic Missile - kills Monty
    Xzar - Larloch (Xzar now has 16 hits!)
    tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar
    Xzar - Larloch
    Tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar - Xzar may die, or have only 1-2 hits and
    panic

    6/ Kill him hand-to-hand, archery, spells - whatever. He's dog meat without
    spells .....

    BTW - if you drop Monty and Xzar from the party when they die, the 120xp for
    Tarnesh is only split 2 ways, instead of 4 ..... An extra 30o xp for you and
    Immy.

    Easy as that!! :)
    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Ok... so is running away from Tarnesh(?) at the Friendly Arm Inn and
    > letting the guards kill him the only way to keep everyone alive? I ran
    > everyone to the other side of the temple and waited the battle out. On the
    > plus side, he killed a guard and i got some armour and a sword from the
    > body.
    >
    > Is this the type of thing i have to look forward to the rest of the game?

  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    <snip longer version>
    > SO, that's
    > Tarnesh - Mirror Image
    > Xzar - Larloch
    > Tarnesh - Horror
    > Xzar - Larloch
    > Tarnesh - Magic Missile - kills Monty
    > Xzar - Larloch (Xzar now has 16 hits!)
    > tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar
    > Xzar - Larloch
    > Tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar - Xzar may die, or have only 1-2 hits and
    > panic
    > Kill him hand-to-hand, archery, spells - whatever. He's dog meat without
    > spells .....

    > Easy as that!! :)

    Or you could let the local guards do it - easier still :)
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:26:23 -0000, "Colin E" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    ><snip longer version>
    >> SO, that's
    >> Tarnesh - Mirror Image
    >> Xzar - Larloch
    >> Tarnesh - Horror
    >> Xzar - Larloch
    >> Tarnesh - Magic Missile - kills Monty
    >> Xzar - Larloch (Xzar now has 16 hits!)
    >> tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar
    >> Xzar - Larloch
    >> Tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar - Xzar may die, or have only 1-2 hits and
    >> panic
    >> Kill him hand-to-hand, archery, spells - whatever. He's dog meat without
    >> spells .....
    >
    >> Easy as that!! :)
    >
    >Or you could let the local guards do it - easier still :)

    Ha! "Brave Sir Protagonist, Sir Protagonist ran away/When Tarnesh reared
    his ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled/Yes brave Sir
    Protagonist turned about/And gallantly he chickened out"

    --
    Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
    hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net

    I am interested in monster THAC0's and AC's. If i get AD&D Monster Manual,
    will that help me understand the monster stats better?

    The problems i see are, perhaps these are customized for the game, and AD&D
    3.5 is out.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hong Ooi wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:26:23 -0000, "Colin E" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >><snip longer version>
    >>
    >>>SO, that's
    >>>Tarnesh - Mirror Image
    >>>Xzar - Larloch
    >>>Tarnesh - Horror
    >>>Xzar - Larloch
    >>>Tarnesh - Magic Missile - kills Monty
    >>>Xzar - Larloch (Xzar now has 16 hits!)
    >>>tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar
    >>>Xzar - Larloch
    >>>Tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar - Xzar may die, or have only 1-2 hits and
    >>>panic
    >>>Kill him hand-to-hand, archery, spells - whatever. He's dog meat without
    >>>spells .....
    >>
    >>>Easy as that!! :)
    >>
    >>Or you could let the local guards do it - easier still :)
    >>

    > Ha! "Brave Sir Protagonist, Sir Protagonist ran away/When Tarnesh reared
    > his ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled/Yes brave Sir
    > Protagonist turned about/And gallantly he chickened out"

    Thank you Hong Python :-)
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Email me and I will send you something that has what you are looking for.
    (Size: 14MB)

    Guru

    >I am interested in monster THAC0's and AC's. If i get AD&D Monster Manual,
    >will that help me understand the monster stats better?
    >
    > The problems i see are, perhaps these are customized for the game, and
    > AD&D 3.5 is out.

  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    lol

    "Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:26:23 -0000, "Colin E" <someone@microsoft.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><snip longer version>
    >>> SO, that's
    >>> Tarnesh - Mirror Image
    >>> Xzar - Larloch
    >>> Tarnesh - Horror
    >>> Xzar - Larloch
    >>> Tarnesh - Magic Missile - kills Monty
    >>> Xzar - Larloch (Xzar now has 16 hits!)
    >>> tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar
    >>> Xzar - Larloch
    >>> Tarnesh - Magic Missle at Xzar - Xzar may die, or have only 1-2 hits and
    >>> panic
    >>> Kill him hand-to-hand, archery, spells - whatever. He's dog meat without
    >>> spells .....
    >>
    >>> Easy as that!! :)
    >>
    >>Or you could let the local guards do it - easier still :)
    >>

    > Ha! "Brave Sir Protagonist, Sir Protagonist ran away/When Tarnesh reared
    > his ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled/Yes brave Sir
    > Protagonist turned about/And gallantly he chickened out"
    >

    > --
    > Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
    > hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net
    > http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
    > Sydney, Australia |
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:28:12 +1300, Kharsis <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

    >Hong Ooi wrote:
    >>
    >> Ha! "Brave Sir Protagonist, Sir Protagonist ran away/When Tarnesh reared
    >> his ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled/Yes brave Sir
    >> Protagonist turned about/And gallantly he chickened out"
    >>

    >Thank you Hong's Python :-)

    Hmmm.

    --
    Hong Ooi | "My hate of d02 know no limit"
    hong@zipworld.com.au | -- asw, on rpg.net
    http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
    Sydney, Australia |
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hong Ooi wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:28:12 +1300, Kharsis <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>Hong Ooi wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ha! "Brave Sir Protagonist, Sir Protagonist ran away/When Tarnesh reared
    >>>his ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled/Yes brave Sir
    >>>Protagonist turned about/And gallantly he chickened out"
    >>>

    >>Thank you Hong's Python :-)
    >

    > Hmmm.

    Well, it *is* a TEN-FOOT TITANIUM one.

    --
    Arian

    Fan of 'Order of the Stick'
    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

    Address me by name at North-net (with no hyphen), a 3-letter company
    trading in the great south land.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > kevin wrote:
    > >>"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > > Your PC can do the quest "the evil way" and get the item
    > > regardless of alignment. It's nothing that a neutral PC should
    > > be expected to shy away from.
    >
    > I disagree. Entirely.

    I shake my head at people who consider neutral characters
    to be good-light in nature. Madly. Just kidding... but I am
    curious whether it's something about the pantaloon events
    in particular or if its from a general belief that neutral
    characters shouldn't commit lousy acts that prompts you
    to be so strongly against a neutral character acting in this manner.

    I think a person of average morality (quite vague, but that's the
    nature of this - an "average" person, eh?) may very well commit
    lousy acts, really lousy acts, if a) the work has already been done,
    b) the intent is to make a focused attempt at making money rather
    than random brutalization, and c) the victim is a rude SOB who
    just happened to meet this neutral character on a bad day. There's
    more, surely, but I believe these are the main points behind why
    I consider a neutral character to be not not out of line to act in an
    evil manner in these curcumstances. OTOH, at times I allow my
    neutral characters to act in a "good" manner - it seems the nature
    of neutrality to be wishy-washy: a neutral character in the group
    complains that the groups rep is too high and then complains
    whenever something is done to lower the too-high rep that's
    causing such distress - yikes!
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Isn't the byword or neutrality "balance in all things?" So doing what
    has to be done to get the metallic panties can be neutralized by an
    opposing act of kindness.

    kevin wrote:

    >>>Your PC can do the quest "the evil way" and get the item
    >>>regardless of alignment. It's nothing that a neutral PC should
    >>>be expected to shy away from.
    >>
    >>I disagree. Entirely.
    >

    > I shake my head at people who consider neutral characters
    > to be good-light in nature. Madly. Just kidding... but I am
    > curious whether it's something about the pantaloon events
    > in particular or if its from a general belief that neutral
    > characters shouldn't commit lousy acts that prompts you
    > to be so strongly against a neutral character acting in this manner.
    >
    > I think a person of average morality (quite vague, but that's the
    > nature of this - an "average" person, eh?) may very well commit
    > lousy acts, really lousy acts, if a) the work has already been done,
    > b) the intent is to make a focused attempt at making money rather
    > than random brutalization, and c) the victim is a rude SOB who
    > just happened to meet this neutral character on a bad day. There's
    > more, surely, but I believe these are the main points behind why
    > I consider a neutral character to be not not out of line to act in an
    > evil manner in these curcumstances. OTOH, at times I allow my
    > neutral characters to act in a "good" manner - it seems the nature
    > of neutrality to be wishy-washy: a neutral character in the group
    > complains that the groups rep is too high and then complains
    > whenever something is done to lower the too-high rep that's
    > causing such distress - yikes!

  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Thundarr wrote:
    > Isn't the byword or neutrality "balance in all things?" So doing what
    > has to be done to get the metallic panties can be neutralized by an
    > opposing act of kindness.

    No. You're a person, not an android. The /character/ does not know
    s/he is "neutral." S/he might think of himself/herself as "pragmatic,"
    but probably--regardless of alignment--thinks of himself/herself as a
    good person. S/he doesn't have a chart to tick off--"Oh, helped an old
    lady across the road, now I have to push an orphan in a mud puddle to
    maintain my balance."
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    kevin wrote:

    >>>Your PC can do the quest "the evil way" and get the item
    >>>regardless of alignment. It's nothing that a neutral PC should
    >>>be expected to shy away from.
    >>
    >>I disagree. Entirely.
    >

    > I shake my head at people who consider neutral characters
    > to be good-light in nature. Madly. Just kidding... but I am
    > curious whether it's something about the pantaloon events
    > in particular or if its from a general belief that neutral
    > characters shouldn't commit lousy acts that prompts you
    > to be so strongly against a neutral character acting in this manner.

    Because it's evil, not neutral. There are some neutral character
    concepts that could hold Lady Elgea prisoner--just as there are some
    neutral character concepts that could do things like helping Nalia
    without thinking of the reward--but the phrase "It's nothing that a
    neutral PC should be expected to shy away from" suggests that this is
    the rule, not the exception.

    Most people are True Neutral. Most people would draw the line at
    holding someone hostage, no matter how "rude" they considered that
    person to be. For most people, the Neutral alignment means not doing a
    mix of good and evil things, but not doing anything that really stands
    out as remarkable in a good or bad way, morally.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > Most people are True Neutral.

    No, most people are Lawful/*. They follow the laws of society either
    because they feel that it is right (Lawful Good), because they are the
    rules and you will get caught if you don't (Lawful neutral), or because
    they don't care about being nice but they will get caught if they don't
    (lawful evil).

Games Video Games