Your question

Internet Gateway Problem

Last response: in Networking
May 13, 2005 12:16:22 PM

I have a linksys wrt54gs wap.

My current setup is this and working fine:

ADSL MODEM
|
WRT54GS (acts as a gateway, 192.168.1.1)
|
SWITCH
|
CLIENT COMPUTERS (192.168.1.xxx, GW:192.168.1.1, DNS:192.168.1.1)

Now, I want it to have it this way:

ADSL MODEM
|
WRT54GS (192.168.1.1)
|
SWITCH <--> WINDOWS SERVER 2003 (2xNICS, I want this to be the gateway, 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3)
|
CLIENT COMPUTERS (192.168.1.xxx, GW:192.168.1.2, DNS:192.168.1.2)

is this possible? I tried enabling the built-in ICS in win2003 but the clients cannot access the internet.
May 13, 2005 2:58:46 PM

i am confused by the way you connected things in step 3 after the router. to accomplish what your doing you need to connect the router (lan side) to nic "a" on the server and connect nic "b" from the server to the switch. then connect the clients to the switch. is that what you have?

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
May 13, 2005 6:30:40 PM

no, the windows server 2003 is also connected to the switch just like the clients. i just want the win2003 to be the gateway not the wrt54gs.
Related resources
May 13, 2005 7:02:53 PM

in short all my clients, including win2003 is connected to the internet thru the wrt54gs. all i want to happen is that all my clients will connect to the internet using win2003, and win2003 will get an internet connection thru the wrt54gs.
May 13, 2005 7:20:04 PM

current setup:
dsl modem - wrt54gs(router) - LAN(includes the win2003 here)

i want this to happen:
dsl modem - wrtg54gs - win 2003 (routing & remote access) - LAN

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by takz on 05/13/05 03:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 13, 2005 9:21:57 PM

your placement of the router doesnt make any sense. i assume you want to keep it as a wireless access point. here is what you need to do.
modem connected to nic a of your server. nic b of your server connected to a switch. clients connected to the switch. wireless router connected to the switch via one of its own switch ports via crossover cable. i dont see why you are putting it between your server and modem still.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>
May 13, 2005 9:23:39 PM

Sounds to me like you need a second switch (but not a router, just a switch).

Internet
|
|
WRT54GS
|
|
Server
|
|
New switch
|
|
Clients

If I understand you correctly.

Alternatively, turn off DHCP on the WRT54gs, turn on DHCP on the server, and see if that lets you do it the way you want.

Mike.
May 13, 2005 9:49:21 PM

why are you putting the router in between the server and the internet?

May 13, 2005 11:14:27 PM

Why? What is the benefit of this set up. If you want the win2.3 server to act as the router and DHCP server you can probably set that up and you don't need the WRT. I know you can do this with linux and iptables. If all you need the WRT for is WiFi there must be a simpler solution.
May 16, 2005 2:38:28 PM

You're creating a huge security problem with the setup you want.

You're going to want DSL - Router (firewall forwarding to your server) - Server with remote access - Firewall of some sort - LAN.

Disable DHCP on your Router, allow IPSec Passthrough on it.
Set your Win2k3 server up with DNS, DHCP, etc. DNS should have forwarders, etc to external DNS servers. DHCP will tell everything else, set everything up there.

If you're using Remote access, you want a firewall to secure your server but it'll let through remote people. But then you want another firewall on the inside to protect your LAN just incase your first firewall is breached. This way, users will have to authenticate with the server via remote access before they can access your LAN. Otherwise you have a hole that can open your network up.

I know what you're trying to do.. it's just a matter of setting the correct stuff in DNS (Forwarders) and DHCP (DNS, etc).

The LAN client PCs will hit the win2k3 server looking for the internet, which will then forward the request out. Everything will pass through your Win2k3 server if you have the forwarders and DHCP set up to give out the right info.

Riser
!