Microsoft or Widcomm?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
May 25, 2005 10:10:53 AM

Windows XP SP2 comes with its own Bluetooth stack. If one uses it, one
cannot use the drivers that come with the USB-BT adapter, all made by
Widcomm. (I don't know if Widcomm actually makes the Microsoft version as
well, but it's quite different.)

Which do people find better? Does the Microsoft stack support all the
profiles? I know some programs say they only work with the Microsoft stack.

More about : microsoft widcomm

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 5:06:45 AM

Thus spake MS:
> Windows XP SP2 comes with its own Bluetooth stack. If one uses it, one
> cannot use the drivers that come with the USB-BT adapter, all made by
> Widcomm. (I don't know if Widcomm actually makes the Microsoft
> version as well, but it's quite different.)
>
> Which do people find better? Does the Microsoft stack support all the
> profiles? I know some programs say they only work with the Microsoft
> stack.

My Widcomm based Belkin dongle broke about a year ago & I'm yet to get
around to replacing it. The only issue I had with their stack was that it
inhibited my PC from switching off without it rebooting (XP SP1). Others
stated that they didn't have this problem which may have been m/b related.
The advantage of Widcomm is that it covers more profiles than the MS
variant. I'm sure others here will add their experiences & would expect the
balance to be in Widcomm's favour.
--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

i agree with Pascal, same expereince here and I use my bluetooth
headset extensively and there is no headset profile on the MS
stack....so stick with Widcomm

cheers ;)
June 4, 2005 5:23:11 AM

I would recommend the Widdcom driver. I experienced a lot more problems with
the MS drivers.
And with the MS disabled everything is working perfectly.
I am using the BT Logitech keyboard and Mouse, Nokia 6230 and a Headset and
everything is working excellent.

"Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thus spake MS:
> > Windows XP SP2 comes with its own Bluetooth stack. If one uses it, one
> > cannot use the drivers that come with the USB-BT adapter, all made by
> > Widcomm. (I don't know if Widcomm actually makes the Microsoft
> > version as well, but it's quite different.)
> >
> > Which do people find better? Does the Microsoft stack support all the
> > profiles? I know some programs say they only work with the Microsoft
> > stack.
>

> My Widcomm based Belkin dongle broke about a year ago & I'm yet to get
> around to replacing it. The only issue I had with their stack was that it
> inhibited my PC from switching off without it rebooting (XP SP1). Others
> stated that they didn't have this problem which may have been m/b related.
> The advantage of Widcomm is that it covers more profiles than the MS
> variant. I'm sure others here will add their experiences & would expect
> the balance to be in Widcomm's favour.
> --
> Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
> gives some feedback!

"Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thus spake MS:
>> Windows XP SP2 comes with its own Bluetooth stack. If one uses it, one
>> cannot use the drivers that come with the USB-BT adapter, all made by
>> Widcomm. (I don't know if Widcomm actually makes the Microsoft
>> version as well, but it's quite different.)
>>
>> Which do people find better? Does the Microsoft stack support all the
>> profiles? I know some programs say they only work with the Microsoft
>> stack.
>

> My Widcomm based Belkin dongle broke about a year ago & I'm yet to get
> around to replacing it. The only issue I had with their stack was that it
> inhibited my PC from switching off without it rebooting (XP SP1). Others
> stated that they didn't have this problem which may have been m/b related.
> The advantage of Widcomm is that it covers more profiles than the MS
> variant. I'm sure others here will add their experiences & would expect
> the balance to be in Widcomm's favour.
> --
> Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
> gives some feedback!

June 10, 2005 11:58:32 PM

I agree too, bought a belkin BT dongle for my laptop a few weeks ago,
installed the software an' drivers off the accompanying cd-rom, but still
couldn't seem to use half of the features supposedly available - (use my
nokia as a modem to dial-up on the move, use mobile as fax, establish link
to laptop over BT to use the phone pc-suite sftware, etc etc)

I was told the problem was that, even though i installed to cd-rom drivers -
they aren't digitally signed for 'xp', so windows just uses its own drivers
anyway.

To correct, went into my computer > device manager > click on the BT
drivers, it will show 2 drivers the bottom one referred to as microsoft
"ennumerator" - ignore this one, and the top one "belkin bluetooth
device". - boths of these are microsofts.

To correct - I right-clicked the top belkin driver > update drivers > select
'do not search, i will select the location of the driver' - or wrds to that
effect > click next > box appears with 2
drivers in it, top one has greeny symbol next to it (the signed ms driver),
the bottom one has no symbols (Widdcoms / belkins enclosed driver). Click
the bottom one > next > then continue anyway on the driver signing warning,
and the install completes.

The two bluetooth radios previously shown in the device manager have been
replaced by one called "Belkin Bluetooth Device" - all features wrk fine
with dongle now

Rick

!