Wireless only connects when ethernet is plugged in...

dconway32

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Hi All, hoping someone could help me. Running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Recently, I had a problem that started happening where my wireless will only connect when i have an ethernet cable plugged in.

As soon as I take the cable out, the wireless will disconnect within 10-20 seconds. It will still show connections are available, but I won't be able to connect to the connection.

Then after about 30 seconds or so, it just goes dead and says there are no wireless connections available.

Then, when i plug the ethernet cable back in, the wireless connects back up just fine.

I have tried a number of things but wanted to reach out for help to see if anyone might know what is happening.

Thoughts??

dconway32

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
No. connections are separate. I disabled the LAN connections and the wireless card seems to stay connected. I have already re-loaded all the drivers and even re-installed my OS from scratch thinking it had something to do with Microsoft's "virtual wireless mini adapter that was installed during an update.

No luck.

Any other thoughts?

stalkah66

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
If anyone needs an answer to this. On a Toshiba Satelite with a Atheros or Intel Wireless card with the latest drivers you need to perform a BIOS upgrade. This sorted the problems on the 2 Tosh laptops I have hear